• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Room EQ settings for a desk setup?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey,
I just tried to correct my LS50 using REW and my Behringer ECM-8000 to get a flatter response. I set the volume to roughly 75dB using the pink noise generator.
I only corrected peaks which are mainly caused by room modes in my setup.

I used the following settings for the filter calculation:

eq_settings.PNG

Before and after results (green: no correction; blue: with correction):
LS50.jpg

The room correction definietly fixed those bass peaks. I also tried to correct that dip in the 2-3kHz range but wasn't happy with the results so I sticked with this correction filter.

The problem I have with this correction is that the system now lacks bass and punch and sounds 'lifeless' if that makes any sense.
Am I just used to the old non-corrected sound of my LS50?

Should I also allow for boost in those trough areas?

Did I do this room EQ correctly or are there any things that I missed out?

I hope someone can help me with my situation. Thanks in advance!

thorvat

I assume you made measurements from your listening position. What is your listening distance?

Did you measure using moving microphone method as shown here?

Do a measurement like shown in that video, post REW file with measurement and I'll lhelp you with the filters.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

I assume you made measurements from your listening position. What is your listening distance?

130cm equilateral triangle. LS50 are on Isoacoutic stands at ear height

thorvat

130cm equilateral triangle. LS50 are on Isoacoutic stands at ear height

Ok, that explains a nearly horizontal slope. Do a measuremnt like shown in the video moving mic around the postion where your head would be while listening, covering 50x50 cm horizontal area and 20cm in height (+/. 10cm from your ear height). Center of the measurement area should be approcimately where the center of your head is. Move mic at a speed of app 5-10cm/sec, not faster. Let the measurement last for 1 minute so you are sure to cover the entire space.

Last edited:
OP
juliangst

juliangst

Ok, that explains a nearly horizontal slope. Do a measuremnt like shown in the video moving mic around the postion where your head would be while listening, covering 50x50 cm horizontal area and 20cm in height (+/. 10cm from your ear height). Center of the measurement area should be approcimately where the center of your head is. Move mic at a speed of app 5-10cm/sec, not faster. Let the measurement last for 1 minute so you are sure to cover the entire space.
I’ll try that. But wouldn’t it be smarter to do a lot of seperate measurements and average the response?

thorvat

I’ll try that. But wouldn’t it be smarter to do a lot of seperate measurements and average the response?

Using RTA measurement and moving mic around will average the measurements. You will be done much quicker while averaging much more measurements than making individual sweeps and averaging them mannually.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Using RTA measurement and moving mic around will average the measurements. You will be done much quicker while averaging much more measurements than making individual sweeps and averaging them mannually.
Makes sense. Thanks.
But I’m not sure if this will fix the lack of bass I got

thorvat

Have mic pointed at the point in the middle between the speakers while moving it around your LP.

thorvat

Here are 2 simple rules you should stick to::

1.) Only correct up to 400Hz as room doesn't have much effect on the response above that
2.) To get LF balance to your taste use high shelf filter at say 160Hz and adjust gain according to your taste, like shown in the pic below

Capture.JPG

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Here are 2 simple rules you should stick to::

1.) Only correct up to 400Hz as room doesn't have much effect on the response above that
2.) To get LF balance to your taste use high shelf filter at say 160Hz and adjust gain according to your taste, like shown in the pic below

View attachment 221946
Ok I’ll try that too.
I have to wait until tomorrow for new measurements though; I don’t want to bother my neighbors at night with sine sweeps.

thorvat

Ok I’ll try that too.
I have to wait until tomorrow for new measurements though; I don’t want to bother my neighbors at night with sine sweeps.

You make RTA measurement with pink niose, not with sine sweeps, although I don't think your neighbours would like that either. :D

What you can do now is just mannually add that high shelf filter as shown on the pic to the filters that REW calculated and experiment with the gain (attenuation) to get the feeling what you prefer.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

You make RTA measurement with pink niose, not with sine sweeps, although I don't think your neighbours would like that either. :D

What you can do now is just mannually add that high shelf filter as shown on the pic to the filters that REW calculated and experiment with the gain (attenuation) to get the feeling what you prefer.
I understand. I always did sine sweeps but RTA makes more sense with moving around

OP
juliangst

juliangst

LS50.jpg

Interesting results (red is the RTA method).
I did about 80 averages and moved the mic around my listening postion. As you can see the 2-3kHz trough is gone and the bass response is pretty similar.
I did a 20Hz-20kHz pink noise RTA first but the drivers moved quite a lot so I switched to 30Hz-20kHz. I will now create filters up to ~600Hz and play around with bass shelf filters.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

LS50_corrected.jpg

That's the result of applying filters

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Did some listening tests now and it still sounds hollow and lifeless. Bass shelf also didn't help

escape2

Did some listening tests now and it still sounds hollow and lifeless. Bass shelf also didn't help
How much of a bass shelf have you applied?

I tend to use quite a bit of a bass shelf myself, especially at lower listening volumes.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

How much of a bass shelf have you applied?

I tend to use quite a bit of a bass shelf myself, especially at lower listening volumes.
I tried everything from 3 to 14dB at different frequencies

Top Bottom