• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best relatively inexpensive way to go from Balanced Stereo to S/PDIF (TOSLINK or COAX/RCA)

SharpEars

Hi, I am looking for a device that can take a balanced stereo input (or worst case unbalanced) and convert it to S/PDIF. This would involve Analog to Digital Conversion, of course.

Currently, I am considering using a Behringer DEQ2496, which I already own, using its built-in ADC and balanced inputs, for better or worse, since its ADC is not exactly the best.

Are there any other sub say $1,500 devices that have a top notch ADC and S/PDIF out?

I only need capability up to 48 kHz, 16-bit, on the S/PDIF digital side.

Thanks for any advice!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The best is probably the RME ADI Pro FS, but it is around $2k. An RME Babyface Pro FS which is just under $1k probably doesn't give up too much on the AD side. It has optical SPDIF output capability. Is this alright for your purposes or do you need coax SPDIF?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yface-pro-fs-portable-interface-review.12313/

BTW, not all interfaces can output SPDIF on optical. Some only do ADAT which isn't compatible with SPDIF. The Babyface can switch and do either format optically on input and output.

Top Bottom