• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Recording of four jazz classics

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you have any recommendations tips and advice to give, I would be grateful!:)

I watched this documentary and it struck me that I just have to have the four records! I can guess that they are available in different versions,,
hi-res "and CD remasters for example. But I want to get as close to the original as possible.

If you know which version is on Spotify, or for that matter any other streaming provider because exit Spotify is approaching like a storm (no lossless yet so...)

I can also imagine buying on file or physical CD. Vinyl would probably be most cool but I do not have a turntable at the moment.

In any case, I can recommend that documentary::)

Attachments

• 81CP1j-zprL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81CP1j-zprL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 81Gx5YJiYgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81Gx5YJiYgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 73
  • 81PbHo2jw1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81PbHo2jw1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 97228860_max.jpg
    97228860_max.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you have any recommendations tips and advice to give, I would be grateful!:)

I watched this documentary and it struck me that I just have to have the four records! I can guess that they are available in different versions,,
hi-res "and CD remasters for example. But I want to get as close to the original as possible.

If you know which version is on Spotify, or for that matter any other streaming provider because exit Spotify is approaching like a storm (no lossless yet so...)

I can also imagine buying on file or physical CD. Vinyl would probably be most cool but I do not have a turntable at the moment.

In any case, I can recommend that documentary::)

I've owned three of those recordings on SACD. The difference between the CD versions and the SACDs of the three Columbia records sourced recordings is slim to none. Haven't heard the Ornette Coleman. Not his biggest fan, though I respect what he does. On the other hand, the other three recordings are ones I've bought and re-bought, seeking the ideal version. If it's sound and sound alone that concerns you, just get the most recent CD transfers of the Columbia titles. I suspect the same is true of the Ornette Coleman disc, but I haven't heard it.

[I'd recommend hunting down Coleman's "Dancing in Your Head".]

Edit: These two Charlie Parker recordings are must-haves. The transfer work on these titles to CD was good from the start, so almost any official Verve reissue of "Swedish Schnapps" or "Now's the Time" are going to be good:

I've got the LP sized box in the YouTube picture, was $20, used, at a Rasputin's. Everythng by the Bird on Verve. Good set, if you're a completist.

Last edited:

brimble

Forum Donor
Good question. I hope there are some good replies here but, if not, please ask the question in some jazz forums and report back here.

SMc

I've owned three of those recordings on SACD. The difference between the CD versions and the SACDs of the three Columbia records sourced recordings is slim to none.
The Miles was originally offered at the wrong speed, which was corrected in the 1992 cd remaster. If you want the version that gave it its reputation, get an older cd. If you want to hear it at the correct pitch as played in the studio, get a newer offering! Spotify has one of each if you'd like to hear the difference.

andyc56

I can't speak to sound quality, but if you get the SACD version of Mingus Ah Um, it restores some of the edits in the original release. The original edits were apparently done or supervised by Mingus himself, who was known to be a real stickler for detail.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
This seems exciting. Little detective work as it looks. Interesting with these different versions and also about the background to the recordings.:)
I thank you all for tips and advice. Others are welcome to add more information. If there is interest in it, that is.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Miles was originally offered at the wrong speed, which was corrected in the 1992 cd remaster. If you want the version that gave it its reputation, get an older cd. If you want to hear it at the correct pitch as played in the studio, get a newer offering! Spotify has one of each if you'd like to hear the difference.
Yea, owned multiple 6-eye original LP issues. One of my favorite Jazz records, after all. Thus, my preference for the more recent remasters: speed correction, and these aren't the sort of titles that get brickwalled.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good question. I hope there are some good replies here but, if not, please ask the question in some jazz forums and report back here.
Hmm.Well I can investigate it and report back here. Maybe others would also be interested in in what emerges. My guess one of the most common questions on designated jazz forums regarding what type of recording to choose from the four classics

With that said, I really appreciate the tips and advice I received from you in this thread who has given, and gives that! :)

Top Bottom