• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best processor choice

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go with a Denon and don't care about the DAC.
That's right, who cares about measurements, engineering quality or companies that sell you worse/cheaper parts for more money?!?!
It's all the same and we can all delete our (useless) ASR accounts and jump on youtube to thumb-up those duuude-it's-so-new-and-cool "reviews"

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Daka

How does one absolutely demolish the other? That sounds vague as well as unlikely.
When it a night and day situation- where there is no doubt about better performance whether it’s stereo, multi channel, room correction, or integrated amps performance.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...actually in france, it's difficult to find with the old DAC (AK4458)

What is the performance of the onkyo tx-rz800 ? I can have one for decent price.
You don't seem to care much about HDMI 2.1. In that case the pre-covid Denon x600 models are a very good option. Well built, well tested and much cheaper.

The latest Onkyo was also reviewed here. People seem happy with it (also see avsforum), although the amps tested a bit subpar. That may only be a problem if you have particularly inefficient speakers and/or enjoy listening and very high volume.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not according to this:
index.php

Specifically Amir mentions:
Clipping happens when internal power amplifiers are on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When it a night and day situation- where there is no doubt about better performance whether it’s stereo, multi channel, room correction, or integrated amps performance.
Uh huh

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting/Rare/Weird processor choice lol..

There are no well performing AVP's worth spending money on at the moment, even if you spend big bucks. Everyone seems to be using well performing receivers as preamps if you already have good amps.

I'd choose between a Denon X3800 if you want Audyssey room correction or an Onkyo RZ50 if you want Dirac.
Have you tried them all? I've found the AVM90 to be superb, esp the latest ARC Genesis integration of 4 subs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are no well performing AVP's worth spending money on at the moment, even if you spend big bucks.
Do you consider those not performing well?

1667407370919.png

hmt

That's right, who cares about measurements, engineering quality or companies that sell you worse/cheaper parts for more money?!?!
It's all the same and we can all delete our (useless) ASR accounts and jump on youtube to thumb-up those duuude-it's-so-new-and-cool "reviews"

/sarcasm

Oh yeah, just hit some strawman and don't think about what I actually meant. Instead you could learn how to actually interpret measuremnts instead of looking at some SINAD table.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Both. Audyssey on x4700h was giving me terrible results - flat sound, much worse than without. With Dirac it takes time to learn how to use it to advantage when you do it sounds better with than without.
I´m not going to debate what sounds best to your ears because in matters of taste, there are no wrong answers. The one on one comparison would be both AVR´s without EQ, as Dirac and Audyssey are just different. I´m glad that Dirac is working fine for you and it seems it adapts better to your listening space, which is the whole point of the system.

hmt

Oint woth audyssey is that it's default configuration is pretty terrible. Flat target curve with BBC dip. To asses audyssey one should at least buy the app, disable the mid range compensation an set a proper target curve. Once done it actually does a pretty good job.

Daka

Oint woth audyssey is that it's default configuration is pretty terrible. Flat target curve with BBC dip. To asses audyssey one should at least buy the app, disable the mid range compensation a set a proper target curve. Once done it actually does a pretty good job.
Does it do proper base management finally?

hmt

What do you mean with that? The asymmetric slopes? They are still there. But that can be handled with the MQ X app.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

hmt

How does one absolutely demolish the other? That sounds vague as well as unlikely.

Would not want an Arcam even with a SINAD of 120 db. There are still major bus unresolved and the update process for a new firmware is so fragile that this alone would be a red flag.

Daka

You don't buy a trinnov just for it's SINAD.
I think that’s what happens when audiophiles mix with home theater. In AVR/processor space certain aspects are either not measured or not given deserved importance.
Lyngdorf generally doesn’t measure that great yet anyone who listened to it is deeply impressed what it can do. That’s why I personally rely on my ears and on experiences of other people than anything else.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
You don't buy a trinnov just for it's SINAD.
I'm aware that their Optimizer is best in class, I just wouldn't pay almost $20k for the privilege.

Daka

Would not want an Arcam even with a SINAD of 120 db. There are still major bus unresolved and the update process for a new firmware is so fragile that this alone would be a red flag.
What major bugs? Haven’t noticed any major bugs?
Update process was indeed pants last year but after certain update got better - still indeed it’s not as good as it could be but thankfully latest version is stable so don’t need to update it any more.
That’s the price to pay with boutique manufacturers

hmt

Yeah, but you also wouldnt if SINAD was 120 db.

Daka

Not when you can get that exact performance from a mid level Denon receiver with the amps disabled..
Well that’s simply not true. You might measure very faulty by design SINAD but that doesn’t give the full picture when it comes to AVR, gives you very little actually. Otherwise Denon would be claimed Holly grail and no one would buy anything more expensive and dare to claim it’s better.

Top Bottom