• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best powered studio monitors in the ~$300 range with unbalanced ins? For garage duty.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have said, the Nest audio sounds great, but is lacking in SPL capability. Here is the spin:

Google Nest Audio Spinorama.png

This was at 2 feet/0.6m so it is at about 70dB @1m. Note the bass increase is built in equal loudness compensation. The treble roll-off may be partly because i was measureing with bluetooth plus there might've been a sample rate mismatch, b

A single speaker maxes out at 86dB and by then bass compression has set in significantly (Google rates it as 77dB "max bass" though there are no specifics for what that means), but you can add 3-6 dB for a pair.

As @Trouble Maker said high SPL is not a requirement, it seems to me that a pair of Nest Audios would be hard to beat in this budget. However, I have not used it in stereo and can't guarantee its reliability, though I haven't heard many complaints about this. I have heard there is a significant delay in stereo, if that's something that matters at all to you.

Part of me still kinda doubts it will even sound better at low levels, but I guess we'll see.
Curious to hear your impressions! Since my review I've done a few comparisons. Mono to mono on my desk, I thought it quite clearly outclassed the iLoud micro monitor and JBL 104, which I pulled out of storage for comparison.

I have not done a direct comparison with the KH80, but I think the Nest Audio is closer to that than the iLoud in sound quality, although with less SPL capability (however distortion appears to be very well controlled within its SPL range).

There were some ex-JBL folks behind the nest audio, by the way ;)

OP
T

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had my 305 connected via 3.5 mm stereo — 2x 6.3 mm mono cable back in the day. Worked as a charm.

Thanks to and everyone for the advice that 1/8 stereo to 2x 1/4 mono will work. That definitely opens up some options!

You just have to make sure you set the DIP switches on the rear panel correctly.

So -10dBv?
Not having any background in the studio or a depth of knowledge about input sensitivity VS dBv vs dBu, the JBL info is super confusing.
Back of the unit.
1604088367064.png

But then the spec say this, and I can't figure out exactly what they are trying to convey.
"Maximum Peak Input Level +6dBV / +20.3dBu (-10dBV / +4dBu)"
Is it that at -10dBv setting the max input is +6dBV and at +4dBu the max input is +20.3dBu?
So -10dBv is +2 volts and +20.3dBu is +8 volts? Calculated using http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm
The 2 volts input makes sense with what we talk about for consumer unbalanced audio.
Will something like the Apple USB-C stereo dongle be enough for these?

As @Trouble Maker said high SPL is not a requirement, it seems to me that a pair of Nest Audios would be hard to beat in this budget. However, I have not used it in stereo and can't guarantee its reliability, though I haven't heard many complaints about this. I have heard there is a significant delay in stereo, if that's something that matters at all to you.

The Nest is definitely a good suggestions, especially considering I'm all into the google eco system. Using it via Chromecast audio with my phone would be the 'best' situation form the tech implementation side. I just worry even with the low levels I want if it will be enough. I also like the flexibility of a 'real' sized speaker for us in another location in the future. For example we plan to tear down this garage and build something 700-800 sq ft, with much taller ceilings, so way more volume. But that's 5+ years off and having to replace some speakers will be the least of my money concerns at that point. I suppose I could double duty these as back deck speakers. But being in the city I also wouldn't crank them too loud as to upset my neighbors.

However, I have not used it in stereo and can't guarantee its reliability, though I haven't heard many complaints about this. I have heard there is a significant delay in stereo, if that's something that matters at all to you

A delay between left and right, or a delay from you telling them to do something for it to happen? If the later I assume they are using to make sure they signal is all syncd up left to right. If it's an overall delay, probably a non-issue since I won't be using these with a TV. Delay from button press to something happening might just be annoying. Left/right delta could be bad.

Why not looking at PA speakers? like
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/the_box_pro_dsp_108.htm or
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/behringer_dr112dsp.htm

the behringer has Bluetooth and looks good for a garage, plus it is powerful. I would start with one and see if you miss the stereo or not.

I've nothing against PA speakers in this application. My general impression was the value and sound quality for this type of application was in monitors. But I don't know that for a fact, so I should have been more open with my initial question. However, I'm not looking for anything as big or loud as those 2.

Last edited:
OP
T

Trouble Maker

Pictures always hep righ?

1604090252808.png

Red or green? My ear level standing is around the purple line.
Green space is 16" high and both the Kali LP8 and JBL 308P are 16.5" high. :(
Those shelves are kind of floating though, so I can probably just use some wooden spacers to move them up.

I'm not sure how much placement really matters for this kind of application, but it's fun to talk about, and might give everyone a good image of my situation. :)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
How loud are you intending to listen? How much bass response do you need in there? I have a 1,000 square foot garage with 10' ceilings and use a pair of JBL Flip 3 BT speakers synced for stereo operation. I have never measured my listening SPL in the garage, but I run them at the default volume level, or turn them down 5 clicks if someone is in there with me to be able to talk over them.

With that context, I think a pair of those Google speakers might be a great solution for you.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A delay between left and right, or a delay from you telling them to do something for it to happen? If the later I assume they are using to make sure they signal is all syncd up left to right. If it's an overall delay, probably a non-issue since I won't be using these with a TV. Delay from button press to something happening might just be annoying. Left/right delta could be bad.

No delay between the speakers, just from your phone. Like, if you wanted to watch a youtube video on your phone and hear the audio through the speakers via bluetooth, there'll be a delay.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Did you ever make a decision? I'm basically in the same exact boat

OP
T

Trouble Maker

Not yet, but I was just looking at specs yesterday and I'm leaning towards something in the 5" range. I'm not seeing the extra low end extension I expected with the larger mid-woofer. It seems like what you get is lower distortion and higher SPL with the bigger versions. Since I'm not planning to play loud, that's not really a benefit to me. I would guess especially in the <200Hz or <100Hz range the distortion is lower, but that's just an assumption based of usual situation. That could/would have an effect on sound quality but that much detail is not often specified. Since this is just for garage background music probably not such a critical point. So, probably the JBL 305P, but I think I will wait to see if it goes on any great sales later in the holiday buying season. The JBL30xP seem to be back up to MSRP for now. The wild card is the Google Nest, it may still win out depending on how tech dependent I'm feeling when I hit the buy button. If the JBL305P goes back down to $110~$120, the Nest is a hard sell compared to it for me.

I'm throwing together a (manufacture claimed) spec comparison sheet of most mentioned here and will toss it up when I'm finished.

Last edited:
OP
T

Trouble Maker

Tried to get as much apples to apples info as possible, but as always this is just manufacturer claimed so take it all with a grain of salt. I could have also missinterperted any data since I'm human and also not a guru in this area so I'm happy to make any corrections.

I got as much info as possible directly from manufacturer website. Prices are per JBL, Kali and for the rest Sweetwater so I don't know if those prices are MSRP or if any are currently on sale other than the JBLs which are MSRP right now.

1604509699006.png

If anyone knows how to post info as a table please let me know because it seems more useful to everyone in that format.

Edit: Thanks maxxevv, fixed the JBL weights

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Tried to get as much apples to apples info as possible, but as always this is just manufacturer claimed so take it all with a grain of salt. I could have also missinterperted any data since I'm human and also not a guru in this area so I'm happy to make any corrections.

I got as much info as possible directly from manufacturer website. Prices are per JBL, Kali and for the rest Sweetwater so I don't know if those prices are MSRP or if any are currently on sale other than the JBLs which are MSRP right now.

View attachment 91463

If anyone knows how to post info as a table please let me know because it seems more useful to everyone in that format.

Pretty sure the 308P is heavier than the 306P though.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
From what I see, the 305p performs better than the 308p but I won't trust anything until amirm posts his findings with the 308p. The EON610 also looks like it would test very well.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

Well, I'm imagining my rough 35 sq ft bathroom that's smaller than probably many on here's closets and thinking if you can be in the room when it's at max it's not going to be enough for even what I want in a garage. But maybe you have a palatial bathroom.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

I do have to admit my likes of the looks is starting to creep into my decision as I look at them more.
And for looks for me Mackie>Kali>JBL
But also the waveguide on the JBL is pretty cool looking.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

This deal is difficult to ignore. ;)

But also that means the whole 30xP line should be dirt cheap right? Like I said earlier, my current plan is to wait until the 305P goes on sale this holiday season, which like you said about the 308P, it should.

Also as best I can tell the 30xP line is back at MSRP for the time being e.g. 308P is $500/pr.

Top Bottom