• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best possible replacement pads for HD650’s in 2022?

thevisi0nary

My brother gave me his older pair of Sennheiser HD650’s, I wanted to spruce them up with a new set of ear pads and headband.

I read a couple forum topics about how buying the wrong ones can influence the sound, and that the new OEM ones might be worse than the originals?

What are my best options here?

Thank you for any help.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Solderdude from diyaudioheaven recommended these so I got a few pairs. They really do sound like stock but mids and bass sound a little fuller, but not veiled. The stock foam is fine, the one that comes with it is a little less dense. I got them at Aliexpress
I got 3 pairs of the velour ones and they arrived in 2-3 weeks. The pleather ones don't look like they'd sound very good though.

aliexpress HD650 Earpads Life.jpg

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My brother gave me his older pair of Sennheiser HD650’s, I wanted to spruce them up with a new set of ear pads and headband.

I read a couple forum topics about how buying the wrong ones can influence the sound, and that the new OEM ones might be worse than the originals?

What are my best options here?

Thank you for any help.

I personally prefer the new OEM ones over the older ones. The contact patch area is slightly narrower which in effect means that the distance between my ears and the foam is increased as it sits closer to the ear where my neck doesn't recede as much away from the "plane" around the ear. It is more comfortable to me.

Whether they last longer or not than the older pads, IDK.

Sound-wise difficult until I try other samples of these new pads to know how they affect the sound (the issue with the older HD6... pads weren't just that they would wear out, it's also that they'd do so quite randomly IMO). In all cases the differences are moderate so far.

isostasy

Solderdude from diyaudioheaven recommended these so I got a few pairs. They really do sound like stock but mids and bass sound a little fuller, but not veiled. The stock foam is fine, the one that comes with it is a little less dense. I got them at Aliexpress
I got 3 pairs of the velour ones and they arrived in 2-3 weeks. The pleather ones don't look like they'd sound very good though.

View attachment 240189
Do you have any pictures of these, or have any other aftermarket pads to compare to? I'm astounded that there are so many aftermarket HD650 pads and all but one are able to get even close to stock sound. I tried Accessory House Global because they were very well reviewed, but measured an enormous increase in bass so nothing like stock. I'm this close to buying some velour and foam and 3D printing the plastic mounting clips to make my own.

To make matters worse I've just got hold of a pair of HD265 linear headphones (woops). This really confuses things for me because HD265 pads aren't even produced anymore. I tried the velour pads from my HD6XX but it kills all the bass. Other option is to convert them to open-back (HD565 Ovation essentially) since they measure almost identically to my HD6XX with the back off and velour pads. But then... I need more velour pads.

It's really frustrating because here in the UK I can't buy genuine pads anywhere at all; even Thomann is sold out if I wanted to pay to import from Europe!

imackify

Drop.com has for their 6xx (which is essentially the 650). Its where i bought mine.

evonhell

I don't own the pads, but I think DMS made a video about some pads that ZMF has made for the 650 that he preferred over the original because while it sounded very close to the original tuning, they last much longer.

isostasy

I don't own the pads, but I think DMS made a video about some pads that ZMF has made for the 650 that he preferred over the original because while it sounded very close to the original tuning, they last much longer.
Thanks, this video is a good resource as he provides measurements and it certainly demonstrates the fenestrated suede is a viable alternative for retaining most of the original sound signature. As the video was posted only 7 months ago, and I don't believe the ZMF pads have been out for much longer, it would be too soon to say with certainty that they would 'last much longer' than Sennheiser's velour pads, however. I'd at least want to see some comparative measurements after a set period of time.

Genuine pads were recently available direct from Sennheiser but sold out quickly. It is a sign they have actually been getting production up and running again and finally reaching a point where they can distribute them, however.

Roddy

Any pads in the UK? Willing to spend up to £20. Also, fit is a problem. There's an ebayer who sold different sized pads once.

I'm open to the Alibaba ones, but they admit the size may vary, and I want someone I can send them back to if they don't fit.

isostasy

Any pads in the UK? Willing to spend up to £20. Also, fit is a problem. There's an ebayer who sold different sized pads once.

I'm open to the Alibaba ones, but they admit the size may vary, and I want someone I can send them back to if they don't fit.
Genuine pads are finally in stock from Sennheiser: https://spares.s-consumer.com/en-uk/catalog/sparepart/050635

£32 is worth it unless you have the equipment and patience to ensure any knock-offs you buy measure correctly.

Roddy

Genuine pads are finally in stock from Sennheiser: https://spares.s-consumer.com/en-uk/catalog/sparepart/050635

£32 is worth it unless you have the equipment and patience to ensure any knock-offs you buy measure correctly.
£32 plus 4.90 shipping. And I know how they'll wear down after a few years. The Dekoni cups for £55 don't seem so outlandish anymore. I bought knockoffs for £17 here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5X8YD9. They fit at least, but I'm not liking the sound. I can't believe I spent £24 total on knockoffs, when the genuine stuff is £10 extra. At least I have a new headband.

Honestly, I've used my speakers for so long, that I've forgotten what prime HD 650s are supposed to sound like. I don't know if it's throwing good money after bad, or if it's finally time to move on. I don't even have a proper amp anymore, using the headphone jack on my SMSL M500. Maybe rather than new pads, I'd be better moving up the stack.

Anyone got a Sennheiser 20% discount code? I had one years ago for cables, but it's expired.

isostasy

£32 plus 4.90 shipping. And I know how they'll wear down after a few years. The Dekoni cups for £55 don't seem so outlandish anymore. I bought knockoffs for £17 here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5X8YD9. They fit at least, but I'm not liking the sound. I can't believe I spent £24 total on knockoffs, when the genuine stuff is £10 extra. At least I have a new headband.

Honestly, I've used my speakers for so long, that I've forgotten what prime HD 650s are supposed to sound like. I don't know if it's throwing good money after bad, or if it's finally time to move on. I don't even have a proper amp anymore, using the headphone jack on my SMSL M500. Maybe rather than new pads, I'd be better moving up the stack.

Anyone got a Sennheiser 20% discount code? I had one years ago for cables, but it's expired.

You are beautifully illustrating my point above that it is not worth buying knockoffs unless you can measure them, then either return them or be content with paying more in time and money than originals would have cost in the first place. In the case of Dekoni pads it's even worse because not only do they cost more than the genuine pads, they all measure nothing close to the stock sound. If £55 for pads which don't sound like the originals and aren't proven to last longer doesn't seem so outlandish, consider you can buy two pairs of originals for £64 (you'll get free shipping as it's over £50).

Please do not succumb to the sunken cost fallacy: you've already spent £24, which you are kicking yourself over, and now feel you don't want to spend the £32 on genuine pads because you've already come this far. You recognise already you might be 'throwing good money after bad' and don't know what they're even supposed to sound like anymore. The simple answer is to buy the genuine pads, then you'll know and be free of doubt.

Additionally, you say you've got an SMSL M500? From amir's review I certainly would describe the amp in that unit as 'proper', his only criticism is that 'The only weakness is that its amplifier doesn't blow your ear drums.' I can say with 100% confidence 'moving up the stack' won't make a jot of difference compared with getting new pads.

Again, sunken cost. Looking to buy another amp would be another way to avoid spending the £32 on the pads (and would obviously cost way more).

Roddy

You are beautifully illustrating my point above that it is not worth buying knockoffs unless you can measure them, then either return them or be content with paying more in time and money than originals would have cost in the first place. In the case of Dekoni pads it's even worse because not only do they cost more than the genuine pads, they all measure nothing close to the stock sound. If £55 for pads which don't sound like the originals and aren't proven to last longer doesn't seem so outlandish, consider you can buy two pairs of originals for £64 (you'll get free shipping as it's over £50).

Please do not succumb to the sunken cost fallacy: you've already spent £24, which you are kicking yourself over, and now feel you don't want to spend the £32 on genuine pads because you've already come this far. You recognise already you might be 'throwing good money after bad' and don't know what they're even supposed to sound like anymore. The simple answer is to buy the genuine pads, then you'll know and be free of doubt.

Additionally, you say you've got an SMSL M500? From amir's review I certainly would describe the amp in that unit as 'proper', his only criticism is that 'The only weakness is that its amplifier doesn't blow your ear drums.' I can say with 100% confidence 'moving up the stack' won't make a jot of difference compared with getting new pads.

Again, sunken cost. Looking to buy another amp would be another way to avoid spending the £32 on the pads (and would obviously cost way more).
Yeah, you're right. Technically I've only sunk £7, as I can return the leather knockoffs. I'm annoyed, but it came with a headband, and that alone is worth £12.

One last thing. There's a Dekoni Choice Sennheiser HD600 Synthetic Leather pad for £40 delivery included. Given its price, and the 1-2 year lifespan of the real pads (some saying the sound signature changes in a few weeks-months), do you think it's ever worth taking a punt on them?

Veri

Master Contributor
I personally hate what leather pads do to the sound of HD600/HD650. Ymmv.

isostasy

Yeah, you're right. Technically I've only sunk £7, as I can return the leather knockoffs. I'm annoyed, but it came with a headband, and that alone is worth £12.

One last thing. There's a Dekoni Choice Sennheiser HD600 Synthetic Leather pad for £40 delivery included. Given its price, and the 1-2 year lifespan of the real pads (some saying the sound signature changes in a few weeks-months), do you think it's ever worth taking a punt on them?
I would strongly advise against any of the Dekoni pads. Look at their measurements: none of them are even close to the stock sound, they'll all sound significantly 'darker'. They've normalised the measurements at 300Hz which is annoying and non-standard, but gives you the general idea which is that the midrange and treble will be 4-8dB recessed depending on the pad. The synthetic leathers you link to look especially bad. As @Veri says, leathers never sound good on the HD6xx series.

The only aftermarket pads I've seen that look any good in measurements are the ZMF perforated suede pads somebody linked above. His measurements show them to be remarkably similar to the original velour pads. Of course, they're quite new so there is no evidence they'll last any longer than Sennheiser's pads. At £59 + P&P you'd need them to last at least twice as long, and you'd need to be content with the feel of suede over velour.

It helps to understand the design of the HD6xx headphones. They require pads which do not impede air flow much. Sennheiser enabled this this by using velour and low density foam. Leather has a much higher impedance, and effectively creates a closed chamber around your ear, which dramatically increased the bass response. This is going to be the case with all leather pads on a HD6xx headphone, no matter how high quality, even if they are perforated. In terms of velour knockoffs, I suspect manufacturers simply use too high density 'memory foam'.

Roddy

I would strongly advise against any of the Dekoni pads. Look at their measurements: none of them are even close to the stock sound, they'll all sound significantly 'darker'. They've normalised the measurements at 300Hz which is annoying and non-standard, but gives you the general idea which is that the midrange and treble will be 4-8dB recessed depending on the pad. The synthetic leathers you link to look especially bad. As @Veri says, leathers never sound good on the HD6xx series.

The only aftermarket pads I've seen that look any good in measurements are the ZMF perforated suede pads somebody linked above. His measurements show them to be remarkably similar to the original velour pads. Of course, they're quite new so there is no evidence they'll last any longer than Sennheiser's pads. At £59 + P&P you'd need them to last at least twice as long, and you'd need to be content with the feel of suede over velour.

It helps to understand the design of the HD6xx headphones. They require pads which do not impede air flow much. Sennheiser enabled this this by using velour and low density foam. Leather has a much higher impedance, and effectively creates a closed chamber around your ear, which dramatically increased the bass response. This is going to be the case with all leather pads on a HD6xx headphone, no matter how high quality, even if they are perforated. In terms of velour knockoffs, I suspect manufacturers simply use too high density 'memory foam'.
Wow. Imagine your own measurements, your personal marketing that you have complete control over, sucking so bad.

The perforated ones look cool. Remind me of a jacket I used to wear. They were the ones I wanted the most, but they're out of stock everywhere, and I'm pretty cheap anyway.

Hifiheadphones and Scan only have 2 of the leather ones in stock, and no stock on any other 3rd party pad, so I was always suspicious that these were the leftovers nobody wanted. Especially with Dekoni selling in-house.

It's settled then, I'll buy the genuine stuff. One last thing, does the inner foam matter? Because I still have the foam from my £7 velour knockoffs, and they wear out even quicker than the pads. Do they change the sound signature?

I don't hate my 650s, but I got them 2nd hand, so I've never felt like I own them. Don't feel that way about my speakers or anything else, though. I guess it's because they live on some dude's head. It was always my intention at some point to get sub £1k headphones that I was the original owner of, like the 8XX, so that's why I'm reluctant to spend.

Last edited:

isostasy

Wow. Imagine your own measurements, your personal marketing that you have complete control over, sucking so bad.

The perforated ones look cool. Remind me of a jacket I used to wear. They were the ones I wanted the most, but they're out of stock everywhere, and I'm pretty cheap anyway.

Hifiheadphones and Scan only have 2 of the leather ones in stock, and no stock on any other 3rd party pad, so I was always suspicious that these were the leftovers nobody wanted. Especially with Dekoni selling in-house.

It's settled then, I'll buy the genuine stuff. One last thing, does the inner foam matter? Because I still have the foam from my £7 velour knockoffs, and they wear out even quicker than the pads. Do they change the sound signature?

I don't hate my 650s, but I got them 2nd hand, so I've never felt like I own them. Don't feel that way about my speakers or anything else, though. I guess it's because they live on some dude's head. It was always my intention at some point to get sub £1k headphones that I was the original owner of, like the 8XX, so that's why I'm reluctant to spend.
Yes, they got hold of the measurement equipment from Tyll after he quit Innerfidelity from what I've heard so it's a shame they didn't use it to create a viable alternative, rather than pumping out 6 different options, none of which sound close to the original. On the other hand, at least they are transparent about the sound change and provide measurements, so you can make an informed decision when you buy them.

As for front foam, solderdude has a massive report of various different changes: http://www.mediafire.com/view/d9kb768up61eh3b/HD650_modifications.pdf starting from page 21 you can see the effects of different materials in front of the driver. Considering how little difference the various materials make, I highly doubt whatever foam you got with the knockoffs will change the sound, unless it's obviously much thicker or denser.

Mal

Web page not very informative, doesn't even say what headphones the foam pads fit!

Another page lists the details:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/accessories-hd-545-hd-565-hd-580-hd-600-hd-650-ear-cushion

But buying from this page is problematic!

Both pages have the same article number so I guess it's OK to get the spec from one page and buy from the other (?)

Top Bottom