• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Portable Player

raif71

Major Contributor
I have both Sony nw-a45 and nw-a105. All I can say is that nw-a105 sounds better (with clearaudio+ on). Currently using a105 with Fiio A5 amp....Just not up to snuff without the amp with my Senn headphones, Sundara ....

D

Deleted member 12179

thanks a lot for the info!! i appreciate it.

but, feels like having android has the advantage of been able to have several apps, have tidal, spotify and what not. great for people who want that. I would prefer though, just a player with no extra apps and the battery advantage of not having to run a heavy OS behind it.

tential

thanks a lot for the info!! i appreciate it.

but, feels like having android has the advantage of been able to have several apps, have tidal, spotify and what not. great for people who want that. I would prefer though, just a player with no extra apps and the battery advantage of not having to run a heavy OS behind it.
Ya, then android daps aren't for you. You have a lot more options.
If you don't need android, you should NOT use it at all. I need it.
Since you don't, you got more options.
I sadly really don't know much outside of android since I waited for Android daps to come out (long freaking wait).
Hiby R3 and daps like that are all I really know. I don't know if that suits your needs.

I've asked every manufacturer about android daps and it seems they're all moving in that direction. You can get nonandroid ones, but there are less and less of em.

iJay

I'm looking for a DAP and would be interested in seeing some test results and listening impressions.

I'm currently using an Audioquest Dragonfly Black with my phone, playing uncompressed WAV files bit-perfect via USB Audio Player PRO: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_GB, but I don't like the fact that it is a dongle hanging off a short USB cable.

It's nowhere near as good as my home set up, an RME ADI-DAC together with JRiver Media player: https://jriver.com/ and all my music stored on a PC as uncompressed WAV files, but it's not bad and certainly acceptable to me for non critical, on the go, listening.

I did try a Sony NW-A45: https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0798LBBJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, physically it's a neat little unit, but sonically it was very dissappointing, the sound was totally flat and lifeless with absolutely no oomph. I tried messing with some settings, but to no avail, nothing really improved matters. It also didn't go very loud, which didn't help things - definitely one to avoid.
I have an RME ADI-2 as my office setup and Calyx M as my portable. Albeit older, the Calyx sounds very good and black background.

Top Bottom