• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best OS/server to stream Tidal/Qobuz via Raspberry PI

marco80

Hi there!

I'm about to set up a solution that should look like this next week when the Topping E30 will finally arrive:

Tidal/Qobuz -> Raspberry PI (3 for now but will change to 4 if there are issues with the USB) -> USB -> Topping E30 -> NAD Amplifier

I'm wondering which OS to use best for this, the focus really is on just Tidal and Qobuz. Volumio has native Tidal/Qobuz integration so that would be my first shot but maybe you have other recommendations/tips on what works best.

The devices I want to use as the UI are all iOS. So Airplay would be an option (for downsampled CD quality) but then I can just subscribe to Amazon Music HD instead :shrug

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Volumio integration with Tidal is terrible. Just check out the MyVolumio forum.

In fact, it's so bad it is currently being redeveloped from scratch.

Max

Forum Donor
I'm wondering which OS to use best for this, the focus really is on just Tidal and Qobuz. Volumio has native Tidal/Qobuz integration so that would be my first shot but maybe you have other recommendations/tips on what works best.

Same need for me. I'll follow this thread !

Max

Forum Donor
I use currently Volumio for streaming Qobuz (with the Volumio app). The integration is good. Volumio is not always stable in my LAN. And for me, paying few € monthly just for this is a bit annoying (this is more a feature than a service and I prefer paying in one shot)

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never cared for volumio, I use Ropiee as a Roon bridge now if you have roon this is a good choice. Another popular one though I have never used it is Moode.

OP
M

marco80

Volumio integration with Tidal is terrible. Just check out the MyVolumio forum.

In fact, it's so bad it is currently being redeveloped from scratch.

Sounds terrible. I have tried Tidal with volumio about a year ago and it sucked back then. Was hoping they'd have figured it out by now, why would anyone pay for their subscription otherwise? Any alternatives you can recommend? Maybe just stick to airplay I guess :/

OP
M

marco80

I never cared for volumio, I use Ropiee as a Roon bridge now if you have roon this is a good choice. Another popular one though I have never used it is Moode.

I don't have Roon and would then need a Roon Core server plus the bridge on the Raspberry and pay the 10 bucks a month. Is it that much better than Tidal via Airplay? Moode would be just Airplay on iOS right?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Why complicate things? If you‘re only streaming from Tidal/Qobuz, just connect a (bit perfect) CCA to your DAC via optical and cast from the app. Problem solved.

No need for Volumio, Ropiee, Roon, etc etc.

Max

Forum Donor
Why complicate things? If you‘re only streaming from Tidal/Qobuz, just connect a (bit perfect) CCA to your DAC via optical and cast from the app. Problem solved.

I totally agree (I'm using a CCA for daily listening too), very userfriendly and directly integrated to Qobuz app. Depends on the use of Volumio. In my case, I use it for room correction with brutefir... I haven't found yet another Pi OS with brutefir

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Chromecast Audio I reckon.
Unfortunately they are not produced anymore..

You can still get them on ebay, at least in Europe. Don’t know about America

OP
M

marco80

Thanks, that's actually a really good idea! I'm on iOS but it looks like tidal does support chromecast also on iOS. Don't have one yet but they're dirt cheap on eBay. Do you know what kind of cable I'll exactly need to connect the Topping E30 with it?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

Rocky Loudboa

I can recommend Moode Audio with Mconnect on iOS: very convenient! I use it with a Pi4 2GB and a passive cooled Flirc case. The design perfectly integrates in a Hifi system.

The cheapest and easiest way is indeed with CCA connected via toslink to your DAC.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use currently Volumio for streaming Qobuz (with the Volumio app). The integration is good. Volumio is not always stable in my LAN. And for me, paying few € monthly just for this is a bit annoying (this is more a feature than a service and I prefer paying in one shot)
I am doing the same and am very happy, mine is stable. Volumio on the R4 seems to be the only packet that utilizes the HDMI output for Roon and for ADC too.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

I'm curious. I've never tried Qobuz with the Volumio app, only Tidal.

Can you give some info on how good the Qobuz integration is? For example does it integrate well with Qobuz playlists?

idiomatically

I came from Volumio, been using Ropieee on my RP4’s for a while now as Roon endpoints with Tidal and won’t look back. Works sooo well it’s not funny.

Top Bottom