• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best OS/server to stream Tidal/Qobuz via Raspberry PI

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do we think it matters whether I use the USB 3 or USB 2 ports?
The expectation would be that it shouldn't make a difference, at least with properly designed DACs. The Modi 3 appears properly designed, unlike its predecessors. Archimago did measurements comparing performance of a DAC on a Pi 3 and a PC, showing essentially no difference, so we wouldn't expect one between ports on the Pi 4. I'm not aware of anyone having tested it directly though. I'd put the DAC in a USB 2 port and save the faster ones for something that might benefit from it, like storage devices.

MalinYamato

I have the newest version of Volumio 3 (it is a rebuilt of Volumio2) running on my pi and it works without a problem with MQA and all other formats, but I wish they could improve the Tidal interface to look more like Tidal native. Note ,Volumio3 is still in its beta.

Volumio3 (Raspberry pi 4) ---> SMSL M500 DAC --> Zen CAN Signature V2 Amplifier --> headphones

20211114_231205.jpg

Last edited:

RuthlessRufus

Hi there!

I'm about to set up a solution that should look like this next week when the Topping E30 will finally arrive:

Tidal/Qobuz -> Raspberry PI (3 for now but will change to 4 if there are issues with the USB) -> USB -> Topping E30 -> NAD Amplifier

I'm wondering which OS to use best for this, the focus really is on just Tidal and Qobuz. Volumio has native Tidal/Qobuz integration so that would be my first shot but maybe you have other recommendations/tips on what works best.

The devices I want to use as the UI are all iOS. So Airplay would be an option (for downsampled CD quality) but then I can just subscribe to Amazon Music HD instead :shrug

Hey I thought I would add my two cents as I have a very similar set up. I have a Pi 4 and use Volumio with it set up as a Roon endpoint. The Pi feeds my Topping E50 which is an MQA capable DAC. This is great for me for a few reasons:
1. I can play Qobuz and Tidal easily, they are both on roon.
2. I can play MQA and know it's MQA cos my DAC and Roon tell me that, and they tell me the bitrate.
3. I can play ultra high res and can see that the files from Qobuz/Tidal are being also output at the same high res on my DAC easily in Roon.
4. I can choose from Roon which version I prefer to play - Tidal/Qobuz/local files. Once I make that choice Roon remembers and plays the version I want.
5. I have gapless playback MQA via roon. I have Qobuz high res files on roon able to be played gapless as well. My own library is also gapless. All on Roon. All in one place.
6. If I want I could pay for Volumio Virtuoso and get Tidal connect. I used the trial. I found it cut in and out and sometimes I couldn't see it in Tidal as a playback option. However when it worked MQA worked as well. So that was pretty cool. However I have chosen to just use Roon as well because Tidal connect doesn't add any value - except maybe if my Roon core was down I could just use Tidal connect instead. But I don't think that worth the price.
7. If you're going to use a CCA you should probably go to Qobuz. It streams at 96 kHz natively from its own app. Tidal only ever streamed at 44kz to CCA. I know this because my CCA is plugged into my Topping E50 and it displayed the bitrate. Roon also streams at 96khz to CCA.
8. If you want gapless Tidal or Qobuz you can do so if you use an Android and CCA. Yiu just use the "cast my audio" feature of the Google Home app and then just use the native Tidal or Qobuz app and just play. However the bitrate drops to 44khz if you do that - but it's gapless and I didn't notice any audible difference if I'm honest.
9. The interface of Roon is vastly superior to volumio. I found volumio find see all my library both via UPNP and when I plugged in a hard drive to my Pi. No such problem with Roon.
10. I found room reliable and sounds great.
11. My wife who is not a tech person at all is able to use Roon. She only started loving my amp (which is new) once she started using Roon.
12. Because it's so usable and streams bit perfect and because the platform is reliable it stopped being about files and bitrates and what app I needed for each use case it stopped being about the gear and just became a nice stereo again.

I hope this helps questions and feedback welcome. And on MQA if I want MQA it's there which is a nice to have. I personally think Tidal as a platform sounds pretty good, perhaps better than Qobuz, so I chose a DAC that could play MQA because that is the way you're going to squeeze the best audio performance out of Tidal. There is some catalogue that Tidal just doesn't have. For instance Neil Young left Tidal but those 192khz files are there on Qobuz. And I can play bit perfect as good as the streams can make them.

MalinYamato

Hey I thought I would add my two cents as I have a very similar set up. I have a Pi 4 and use Volumio with it set up as a Roon endpoint. The Pi feeds my Topping E50 which is an MQA capable DAC. This is great for me for a few reasons:
1. I can play Qobuz and Tidal easily, they are both on roon.
2. I can play MQA and know it's MQA cos my DAC and Roon tell me that, and they tell me the bitrate.
3. I can play ultra high res and can see that the files from Qobuz/Tidal are being also output at the same high res on my DAC easily in Roon.
4. I can choose from Roon which version I prefer to play - Tidal/Qobuz/local files. Once I make that choice Roon remembers and plays the version I want.
5. I have gapless playback MQA via roon. I have Qobuz high res files on roon able to be played gapless as well. My own library is also gapless. All on Roon. All in one place.
6. If I want I could pay for Volumio Virtuoso and get Tidal connect. I used the trial. I found it cut in and out and sometimes I couldn't see it in Tidal as a playback option. However when it worked MQA worked as well. So that was pretty cool. However I have chosen to just use Roon as well because Tidal connect doesn't add any value - except maybe if my Roon core was down I could just use Tidal connect instead. But I don't think that worth the price.
7. If you're going to use a CCA you should probably go to Qobuz. It streams at 96 kHz natively from its own app. Tidal only ever streamed at 44kz to CCA. I know this because my CCA is plugged into my Topping E50 and it displayed the bitrate. Roon also streams at 96khz to CCA.
8. If you want gapless Tidal or Qobuz you can do so if you use an Android and CCA. Yiu just use the "cast my audio" feature of the Google Home app and then just use the native Tidal or Qobuz app and just play. However the bitrate drops to 44khz if you do that - but it's gapless and I didn't notice any audible difference if I'm honest.
9. The interface of Roon is vastly superior to volumio. I found volumio find see all my library both via UPNP and when I plugged in a hard drive to my Pi. No such problem with Roon.
10. I found room reliable and sounds great.
11. My wife who is not a tech person at all is able to use Roon. She only started loving my amp (which is new) once she started using Roon.
12. Because it's so usable and streams bit perfect and because the platform is reliable it stopped being about files and bitrates and what app I needed for each use case it stopped being about the gear and just became a nice stereo again.

I hope this helps questions and feedback welcome. And on MQA if I want MQA it's there which is a nice to have. I personally think Tidal as a platform sounds pretty good, perhaps better than Qobuz, so I chose a DAC that could play MQA because that is the way you're going to squeeze the best audio performance out of Tidal. There is some catalogue that Tidal just doesn't have. For instance Neil Young left Tidal but those 192khz files are there on Qobuz. And I can play bit perfect as good as the streams can make them.
thank you for a thorough review of this matter. Volumio is much cheaper and Roon insanely expensive, but I am not really happy about the Tidal interface that Volumio offers and would go for Roon would it offer a MUCH better experience, but that is probably not the case and Roon is a terrible option for most who don't have money growing in their backyard. I'll try Rooms 14 days trial on my pi and return here for my thoughts if it's worth it. A third way to get full Tidal and MQA outs from a pi is to install android and run USB Audio pro on it.

Last edited:

Bamyasi

thank you for a thorough review of this matter. Volumio is much cheaper and Roon insanely expensive, but I am not really happy about the Tidal interface that Volumio offers and would go for Roon would it offer a MUCH better experience, but that is probably not the case and Roon is a terrible option for most who don't have money growing in their backyard. I'll try Rooms 14 days trial on my pi and return here for my thoughts if it's worth it. A third way to get full Tidal and MQA outs from a pi is to install android and run USB Audio pro on it.
You can use BubbleUPnP app on your phone ($5 one-time purchase, no subscription fees) to stream Qobuz and Tidal at native resolutions via DLNA to RPi 4 for free. If you want gapless, you can install BubbleUPnP Server (freeware, https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/) on your RPi and configure it to convert RPi DLNA renderer (e.g. GMrender) into OpenHome endpoint with full support for gapless playback, persistent playlists, etc. BubbleUPnP Server can also convert CCA into OpenHome endpoint same way, giving you gapless playback on this one too.

Note, "Cast your audio" option in the Google Home app converts everything to AAC (lossy) codec. You likely will not hear much of a difference though.

RuthlessRufus

You can use BubbleUPnP app on your phone ($5 one-time purchase, no subscription fees) to stream Qobuz and Tidal at native resolutions via DLNA to RPi 4 for free. If you want gapless, you can install BubbleUPnP Server (freeware, https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/) on your RPi and configure it to convert RPi DLNA renderer (e.g. GMrender) into OpenHome endpoint with full support for gapless playback, persistent playlists, etc. BubbleUPnP Server can also convert CCA into OpenHome endpoint same way, giving you gapless playback on this one too.

Note, "Cast your audio" option in the Google Home app converts everything to AAC (lossy) codec. You likely will not hear much of a difference though.
I just tried to use BubbleUpNP on my Android and I couldn't get it to play with Volumio at all. No data ever came through on my DAC. Oh well. I mostly use iPhone and my wife uses iPhone too, so Roon works better for me.

TabCam

Although I like Roon, I do not consider it bit-perfect. PiCorePlayer also does most of those things, play gapless, support MQA if your dac supports it (not that important yo me), you can use Tidal for "Tidal Radio" and can use far more streaming services like Spotify Premium, Bandcamp, Soundcloud etc. You can use LMS apps but I can recommend iPeng (iOS) and Squeezer (Android). The http server is also possible but less convenient.

I think that Roon is much more polished but the added support makes PiCorePlayer a worthy contender to stream Tidal. Have mo experience with Qobus but I expect it to be on the same level.

Mindhead1

Thanks for the info.

I am also a Qobuz user running piCorePlayer/LMS with Material Skin on my RPI3b+. Quite surprised only a few people recommended this option which is very nice and free! Much better than MoOode in my opinion for iOS uas I really don’t like ugly mconnect :eek:.
For those who don’t like Material Skin, you can’t still use iPENG ($9 only for the app) which is nicely design.

Of course Roon/Ropieee is probably the best option but definitely not the cheapest
How much RAM do yo have in your RPi to Ron pCP/LMS on the same device?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
How many GB is it necessary to have on the SD card?
Depends which OS, and whether you want to store music on it. If you're buying a new SD card it's hard to find them below 16GB whcih I think is enough for any of the OS options that target audio. If you're reusing old cards then check the OS requirements - I think Volumio recommend 8GB but it used to work on 4. piCorePlayer will fit in much less - I've used it on 'broken' SD cards where the section with errors is beyond the ~150MB that a minimal client-only install uses. It needs a bit more if you want to install LMS and the display bits too. If you want to store music on the SD then it's down to the size of your music collection.

SlowCar

How much convenient is moode based raspberry pi? Is it stable? Can i have many eq on it for different headphones and speakers? How is apple music streaming candled? Can i have it with coax output? And also rca output? Any recommendations?

atx1969

Hello All:
I am new to the group and I am sorry if my question was covered before, but I cant find and answer to my specific situation
Goal: My goal is to stream to a Raspberry P1 4 using Tidal Master content (Typically 96 KHz sample rate for master recordings) and use my Topping D10 as DAC
As an OS in the RPi I am using Volumio 3 (latest version) with Premium subscription, as I heard it works flawless for my above goal
Issue: The D10 DAC displays the sample rate is receiving. When I play a master recorded song in Tidal the Volumio app and the DAC display shows 44.1 as opposed to 96. As a test I connected the DAC directly to my computer (skipping RPi) via USB and it does show correctly as 96khz for the same song
So looks like the RPi working with Volumio is limited to 44.1 (some times 48) but definitely not 96 which defeats the purpose of using the Tidal Hi-Fi Plus to play master quality songs. From my test connecting via USB I can see that is not an issue with Tidal or the DAC so its must be the Raspberry Pi-Volumio combination.
So my question is , is my above assumption about the limitation accurate or is a setup issue.
I would add that I am open to use any other OS besides Volumio to be able to reach my goal so any other recommendation is very appreciated
Thanks in advance for your help!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You're probably better off asking on the Volumio forum or filing a bug report there - you're more likely to get an answer from someone who develops it and knows in detail what's going on inside. Are you using any output plugins or EQ options that might cause resampling?

Top Bottom