• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best MQA capable DAC without any Preamp Module?

pogballistics

Can anyone suggest an MQA capable DAC without any Preamp module. Looking at a budget of less than 500$

I am considering the Schiit series cos of the fact that they don't have a preamp module in them. However, the fact that they don't do any MQA decoding and rendering is sad for me since I do quite a lot of Tidal streaming.

Can anyone suggest something with good measurements etc.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 'pre-amp module' usually is simply digital attenuation. A soft/firmware feature rather than an actual extra circuit that would affect SQ.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone suggest an MQA capable DAC without any Preamp module. Looking at a budget of less than 500$

I am considering the Schiit series cos of the fact that they don't have a preamp module in them. However, the fact that they don't do any MQA decoding and rendering is sad for me since I do quite a lot of Tidal streaming.

The MQA is the stinger- but the SMSL M500 V2 fits the bill. As @solderdude says , its a dig pre-amp but you can leave at full volume and dont let that worry you.

Not sure what else lives in that price with MQA- The Topping D90 MQA is over budget.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

https://hifi-express.com/products/smsl-m500-mqa-es9038pro-dac

Recommend the SMSL M500 V2 DAC.;)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ifi Zen Dac in fixed mode will bypass volume control and can decode MQA for $129. However, the Burr Brown chips do not measure well and Ifi marketing is obnoxious :facepalm:

OP
pogballistics

pogballistics

Asked cos you mentioned the device so I thought you have it. The review says it doesn't measure well.

OP
pogballistics

pogballistics

Customs is a big headache. They probably will charge a lot making this a very sad / bad deal.

m8o

Forum Donor
"Preamp" actually means it can amplify. A digital attenuator utilizing attenuation native within the DAC chip is not a "preamp". Thus, the Gustard X16 qualifies. And is about the best MQA DAC for the money tested to date.

Top Bottom