• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best most open and natural/smooth sounding balanced DAC under $1000?

OP
Shoaibexpert

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is only because I wanted to reach an optimum setup for my daily use when it comes to listening on headphones that I started this thread. I've got the Hifiman Arya (one of the best rated headphones) and the THX 789 (one of the best amps) and so thought maybe there would be some way I would be able to optimize on the DAC side as well. Saw say the similar measuring Matrix Element X (with the ESS pro chip etc.) being sold at 8 times the price of say the M500 (measuring per their website data and provided it's well implemented) and thought maybe there is a sweet spot for DACs too...seems measurements, SINAD etc. tell you everything you need to know about how a DAC sounds and so in essence Matrix Element X = M500 or any other DAC that has similar or same SINAD.

Thanks for clarifying this...saved a lot of money there for most people. Though, would love to hear from those fortunate enough to hear different DACs (similar measuring) and confirm if this objectivist theory.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for clarifying this...saved a lot of money there for most people. Though, would love to hear from those fortunate enough to hear different DACs (similar measuring) and confirm if this objectivist theory.
Glad you finally got the point! ;)

Good experience for you would be to perform proper blind test, level matched. To see if you're able to pick up One DAC over the other several times!

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Though, would love to hear from those fortunate enough to hear different DACs (similar measuring) and confirm if this objectivist theory.

Well, see that's the thing. Most subjective listening tests are unreliable and wrought with expectation / confirmation bias. In other words, people tend to hear what they want to hear or expect to hear when evaluating audio equipment. It's been a key component of audio sales strategies forever. This has been proven with blind A/B listening tests, which is really the only way you can prove/disprove it.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you should know what this site is about. Most regulars here accept these bias' as fact, and even if you are aware of them they can still be powerful.
Choose your path wisely, you will (in Yoda accent).

Dogen

Forum Donor
If you want to tailor your sound, the DAC is not the way to do it. Use digital processing or put tubes in your chain. The job of the DAC is to output exactly the digital info. There are much better tools for “smoothing” the sound. And, you can adjust the effect and turn it off if you want to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom