• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best mind bending movies you have watched so far?

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone for Melancholia?
MV5BMTk4NjM0MjI3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxMDYzNg@@._V1_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

TimF

Forum Donor
Anyone for Melancholia?
MV5BMTk4NjM0MjI3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxMDYzNg@@._V1_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Great movie. All the acting is fine. Did it come out the same year as The Turin Horse (Bella Tar)? Both movies about the end of the world. I think that same year there was even another movie out about the end of the world.

TimF

Forum Donor
I assume a high percent of ASR members are men. To the men on ASR, are there movies you like that your wives or girlfriends don't like? A lot of movies pander to men's fantasies just as a lot of movies pander to woman's fantasies. Are movies meant as entertainment and hence enactment of fantasies and imaginings, or should movies be primarily instruments of moral instruction? Obviously that question is a set up. I just had an evening watching a movie with a date and I picked the wrong movie. Ya know? The movie was 2046 which is ultra high on style but it is basically a stylish version of a movie troupe that was heavily used through out the 1940's through the 1950's.

Momotaro

Great movie. All the acting is fine. Did it come out the same year as The Turin Horse (Bella Tar)? Both movies about the end of the world. I think that same year there was even another movie out about the end of the world.
You may be thinking of Mike Cahill's Another Earth (2011). One of a number I didn't list, but well could have, including a later film directed by Mike Cahill with Brit Marling in a lead role, I Origins (2014).

Momotaro

... Are movies meant as entertainment and hence enactment of fantasies and imaginings, or should movies be primarily instruments of moral instruction? Obviously that question is a set up. I just had an evening watching a movie with a date and I picked the wrong movie. Ya know? The movie was 2046 which is ultra high on style but it is basically a stylish version of a movie troupe that was heavily used through out the 1940's through the 1950's.
Or are they meant as exercises of form, or exploration of certain themes? Many possibilities. I once took a potential friend to see a retrospective with Todd Solondz' film Happiness. That was the end of that. But if your date didn't appreciate Wong Kar-Wai, just keep looking.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I assume a high percent of ASR members are men. To the men on ASR, are there movies you like that your wives or girlfriends don't like? A lot of movies pander to men's fantasies just as a lot of movies pander to woman's fantasies. Are movies meant as entertainment and hence enactment of fantasies and imaginings, or should movies be primarily instruments of moral instruction? Obviously that question is a set up. I just had an evening watching a movie with a date and I picked the wrong movie. Ya know? The movie was 2046 which is ultra high on style but it is basically a stylish version of a movie troupe that was heavily used through out the 1940's through the 1950's.

The women I share, and have shared, my couch with (lol) all shared my passion for horror, art house and extreme cinema, but none of them were/are into visceral fight-flicks like, for example, The Night Comes for Us. I think the martial arts genre appeals mostly to men. Definitely not a moral instruction, by the way. :p Escapism, mostly, and a safe channeling of male violent tendencies.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of my favourites have already been mentioned, Mulholland Drive being my absolute top notch. Melancholia and Midsommar are also scary and twists the mind.

Don't know if "The Others" have been mentioned?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Primer should be on this list for sure.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I just had an evening watching a movie with a date and I picked the wrong movie. Ya know?
In my experience the more non-linear, intellectually challenging – or to use that risible description 'Arthouse' - movies appeal more to the ladies than to the typical male audience. Guys blowing stuff up, driving fast and shooting baddies doesn't interest the fairer sex all that much. Personally, I prefer movies that I have to think about. As in, if there's an identifiable plot then the movie is a bit of disappointment.

But you probably don't want to choose Salò on a first date ... ;-)

Robin L

Master Contributor
In my experience the more non-linear, intellectually challenging – or to use that risible description 'Arthouse' - movies appeal more to the ladies than to the typical male audience. Guys blowing stuff up, driving fast and shooting baddies doesn't interest the fairer sex all that much. Personally, I prefer movies that I have to think about. As in, if there's an identifiable plot then the movie is a bit of disappointment.

But you probably don't want to choose Salò on a first date ... ;-)
Guess it depends on the date ;)

Top Bottom