• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best-measuring wireless active speakers

jackmw

Forum Donor
I’ve looked at the KEF LS50W, the KEF LSX, and Dyaudio XEO 10 and 20. All seem pretty good but each has its own weakness, and it’s hard to get a feel for possible reliably issues down the road. Anyone here have copious firsthand experience with any and/or alternative recommendations. I think my use case would be for desktop listening, connected to computer via digital (toslink or usb) for playback. Ideally paired with dual wireless subs. I guess if the DAC in the speaker(s) is sub-optimal, being able to bypass it with direct XLR (or worse case RCA) from my desktop RME DAC would be useful. All suggestions for speakers and subs welcomed!

Best
Jack

ps if anyone knows here to get a deal on a pair of used/demo Revel Performa3 F206 in black, please drop me a note. I am located in North San Diego county in California.

Best
Jack

arboleda

Forum Donor
Only semi-related I’m in Rancho Bernardo (actually 4S but most don’t know where that is) and I recently got LS50‘s, an inexpensive SVS sub, NC400 amps, and a minidsp SHD. My in-room acoustics are not good and the speakers currently sit on my desk but if you ever want to hear that combination I’m up for geeking together over audio. I’d enjoy hearing some revels if you acquire some. I’m out town at the moment and the amp(s) arrive this week, curious to see if hear the difference versus the temporary Dayton audio amp I have the speakers hooked up to now. Some single blind testing could be fun too.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve looked at the KEF LS50W, the KEF LSX, and Dyaudio XEO 10 and 20. All seem pretty good but each has its own weakness, and it’s hard to get a feel for possible reliably issues down the road. Anyone here have copious firsthand experience with any and/or alternative recommendations. I think my use case would be for desktop listening, connected to computer via digital (toslink or usb) for playback. Ideally paired with dual wireless subs. I guess if the DAC in the speaker(s) is sub-optimal, being able to bypass it with direct XLR (or worse case RCA) from my desktop RME DAC would be useful. All suggestions for speakers and subs welcomed!

Best
Jack

ps if anyone knows here to get a deal on a pair of used/demo Revel Performa3 F206 in black, please drop me a note. I am located in North San Diego county in California.

Best
Jack
Question: if it's for desktop use and it's going to be connected to your PC, is wireless all that necessary? I mean, the KEF LS50W has as many wires as a normal pair of active speakers. There are several active non-wireless speakers that seem like they would fit your criteria - the Neumann KH80 comes to mind. In the nearfield, on-axis response takes greater priority, and there are plenty of studio monitors with excellent on-axis performance.

Otherwise, the Devialet Phantom Reactor 900 have the best measurements I've seen from a wireless speaker (I recently measured it here), and it would negate the need for separate subs, though bass might be a bit much if you're near front and sidewalls. I'd EQ that down.

OP
J

jackmw

Forum Donor
The nice thing about (most of) the wireless solutions would be eliminating the need for a desktop DAC, assuming the DAC built into the speakers are sufficient. The Devialet is beautiful but strangely lacking USB input? It does have optical though.

I should have said desktop use is the primary use case, but it would also be nice to occasionally move them out to other rooms, or the backyard when the weather's nice.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The nice thing about (most of) the wireless solutions would be eliminating the need for a desktop DAC, assuming the DAC built into the speakers are sufficient. The Devialet is beautiful but strangely lacking USB input? It does have optical though.

I should have said desktop use is the primary use case, but it would also be nice to occasionally move them out to other rooms, or the backyard when the weather's nice.

Built-in dac would be nice, but there are so many of those available, I feel you shouldn't limit yourself on that particular front considering the wealth of solid active options available. Something like a tiny Fiio K3 might even do the job, even if it's not the best performing dac (we don't know how the built-in one's perform either, after all).

Devialet also has Bluetooth, if that's at all your jam. I was happy with the reactor's blueooth quality, though you'd need an AAC compatible device for decent quality.

Vindermere

I wait a review with measurements of this speakers : cabasse the pearl and system audio Silverback (wisa connection). I think wireless speakers with DSP is the future. A homepod is very good for the price but no enough audiophile for some.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WhutHiFi liked the Xeo-10s. They cost £1300 - whatever that translates to in shekels.

Top Bottom