• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Measuring Tower Speakers <$10K

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way, does anyone have measurements for the Focal Trio6 or Trio11? I find them very interesting but some stuff like the lack of measurements, lack of waveguide and diffraction inducing screws are worrying.

focal.png

I have 5 of them. Sound is not as good as The Ones from Genelec but they are very very nice to listen to and they are half the price from the 8351. I use them to mix / master in surround.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyways, a year ago I replaced a B&W CM10 S2 basement setup with a set of GoldenEar Triton Reference. The improvement was pretty spectacular and I've been happy ever since. I still use a set of B&W CM10 S2's on the main level and I am planning on replacing them at some point - I've never been fully satisfied with the sound of the B&Ws and tend to find them a bit fatiguing in extended use.

I was expecting to replace them with a set of GE Triton 1R's until I saw the thread here on GE speakers, and the feedback from many posters on measurements was not that great. I'm still learning to read speaker measurements (eg. Soundstage, Stereophile) and want to audition alternatives to the GE speakers.

Thanks.

How odd. Why replace the Triton Reverence with a speaker one step down the ladder, the 1R? Goldenear speakers get great reviews everywhere. There are a few members here who like to rip them to pieces. Go read @Kal Rubinson 's review of the 1R in the current Stereophile for some words more consistent with the majority.

If you love a piece of gear don't let some goofball in a forum ruin it for you.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
View attachment 40121

I have 5 of them. Sound is not as good as The Ones from Genelec but they are very very nice to listen to and they are half the price from the 8351. I use them to mix / master in surround.
Thanks, forgot to search on SAR, strangely. These are quite disappointing for the price, to be honest. I guess the Focus mode could be very useful for professional usage, though.
They seem to have a nice (class G) amplification, though.

raindance

Major Contributor
How odd. Why replace the Triton Reverence with a speaker one step down the ladder, the 1R? Goldenear speakers get great reviews everywhere. There are a few members here who like to rip them to pieces. Go read @Kal Rubinson 's review of the 1R in the current Stereophile for some words more consistent with the majority.

If you love a piece of gear don't let some goofball in a forum ruin it for you.

He's talking about a different room, not replacing the GE Refs!

But speakers in the corners is a horrendous compromise and will make almost any speaker other than a corner horn sound awful. You will need something with room correction, or just save your money :D

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's talking about a different room, not replacing the GE Refs!

But speakers in the corners is a horrendous compromise and will make almost any speaker other than a corner horn sound awful. You will need something with room correction, or just save your money :D

Manufacturers of wide baffle speakers recommend corner placement. That would be deVore and some others.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just found (excellent) measurements of the AudioSolutions Figaro M. I didn't even know the existence of this brand...

This is a very massive and heavy tower (41Kg). Price starts at 4900€/pair or $7,500 (more depending of finish). Build and finish seem top notch with plenty of custom colors (17, for now). Availability is questionable, though. Found only one reseller in Paris, but no way to listen to it anywhere yet...

View attachment 40113
View attachment 40114

To Soundstage standards, these have an extremely flat FR, and very good off-axis performance.

I have been looking at that brand for some time. Some of their speakers measure well, others erratically. I find their solution for a grill in their entry-level speaker very elegant and logical:

Overture%202.jpg

It's less of of a grill and more of a second baffle with a trim ring and relatively deep waveguide machined into it. This also means the mounting points of the grill cloth and the grill frame are isolated from the tweeter, unlike conventional thin frames that cause diffraction and reflections.

raindance

Major Contributor
The VR35 is one weird beast. They were very popular for a while and probably did well in Europe. Those measurements are odd, but evidently that model works well. I've tried two of their offerings: VR1 and VR4. The VR1 is just an average bookshelf speaker with below average bass. The VR4 is a two-box behemoth with bass down to about 25Hz. It is very bright and in your face and can't reproduce any upper bass (warmth region) due to the midwoofer to bass module crossover transition which gives a large, wide dip at 150Hz. It's impressive if you like a "detailed" sound or listen to organ music :)

Top Bottom