• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Matrix Processor besides qsc core 110f? Replacement for Ashly Protea 24.24M

radeon

What would be a good modern DSP? I'm currently using an Ashly Protea 24.24M but it's over 10 years old now and getting a newer processer with modern DA/AD chips seems like the next logical upgrade.

I'm looking at maybe the qsc core 110f, but want to make sure it's the best option, as it is quite a bit of money.

In an ideal world I would like to be able to create matrix's between several units, but it's not strictly required, especially if a single unit already has a ton of I/O.

Others have suggested minidsp, but based on Amir's review here, it does not seem like a good choice for an endgame system....

Last edited:

kipman725

I use Symetrix they can handle big Matrices and support Dante for audio transport. I have 3 Radius AEC and the older 8x8 and DIGIO, you can download the software from Symetrix website to see if it meets your requirements. You may also consider BIAMP Tesira processors (with the latest software you have to enable 'legacy' processors in the settings for some of the older units. They are all very expensive new but are often available cheaply from Ebay and have good reliability.

jlo

I've installed many Xilica Solaro in stereo or 5.1 (Solaro QR1) up to 32 channels immersiv setups (Solaro FR1) : the DSP is quite as versatile and configurable as QSC Core110f.
Only its FIR capability is a bit less : 4096 taps per channel for Solaro against 8192 taps for Core110. But QR1 is less than half price of QSC.

audio2920

I'm using 2x DDRC-88D for an Atmos setup; It's quite a flexible thing and I'm still loving the simplicity & results of Dirac to measure the room and build filters.

There's not a lot wrong with the digital version, that I can tell. Well, the UI is somewhat clunky compared to Trinnov and so on, but that's not a fair comparison.

I also have a DDRC-88A from when I had second 5.1 setup, and while adding a very slight veil to the sound, it was still a worthwhile trade off for me in terms of being a cheap way to get FR and phase straightened out by Dirac, the 8x8 matrix and x-overs/bass management. While it's not properly hi-fi, it isn't total garbage by any means, IMHO. If you do get an 88A, somewhat strangely channels 3-8 seem to have better converters than ch1&2, so in 5.1 I used ch3-8 for the main IO and then sometimes a second sub on channel 1 out.

Top Bottom