• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best low budget 8 "subwoofer

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all.

My question is in the title.

My listening room is medium in size, say 17 'x 25'. The subwoofer is not for the CM just listening to music. I mainly listen to classical, jazz, progressive rock and classic rock.

Currently my hi-fi system consists of a DAC SMSL M200, Raspberry PI4, buffer / preamp, two amplifiers, 3-way speakers with an amplifier for bass and an amplifier for midrange and high.

To give a better idea, the woofer is a 5 "Wavecor in a transmission line, tune with an F3 of + - 63hz. I have calibrated my passive xover with measurement mic and REW. So I need a small sub that will add bass up to 40-45hz With a power of at least 50w rms.

I did some research and found this sub available on ebay. It is from the Monoprice brand, an 8 "with 100w rms amplifier and a signal / noise> 96db.

Monoprice Premium Select 8"

If you have any suggestions for other low budget 8" subwoofers, you are welcome!

leeroy 85032

In this price range, that Monoprice is probably as good as you are going to get.

I'd also look on your local market place for Hsu STF1, if you are open to buying used.
that's a good call actually ,, at under $100 (or even slightly above) a used find is probably the best bet...rythmik and svs also make decent subs , although my guess is that svs will be overpriced as used.. they have a rep "bigger" than the others ... thus , ime, they end up sitting around on craigslist with inflated price tags..

OP
ModDIY

ModDIY

Hi rsl doesn't seem to have an 8 "subwoofer, I really want a little footprint.

This is noted for the Hsu stf1, it is not currently available on Amazon, I live in Canada so buy in US n 'is not an option for me, each time I pay customs fees of 25-40% of the Canadian price after the change.

A user device for an amplifier or passive speakers is okay, but especially not a sub, to unless it is hdg.

Yes of course I would like sub SVS .... but in the title it is written "low budget" ... :)

escape2

This is noted for the Hsu stf1, it is not currently available on Amazon, I live in Canada so buy in US n 'is not an option for me, each time I pay customs fees of 25-40% of the Canadian price after the change.
That's why I said "used", on your local marketplace... Kiji, canuckaudiomart, Facebook, or whatever you guys have up there. :)

OP
ModDIY

ModDIY

Ok escape2, thank you for your recommendation.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
1. Are you in a rush to purchase a sub now Or can you wait until the end of the year?
If so, wait for better deals that are coming.
Also, wait for Erin to review more budget subs. (see below)
2. See Erin (@ hardisj) subwoofer reviews
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k4mHkuwv_uiGAMyEhgrTkjwdXc/edit#gid=407670234
Some of the 10" he has measured are very small in dimensions, others are large, so it depends on the model.
He's going to do a 12" subwoofer shoootout *soon* (probably by end of year).
3. Look at data-bass.com, wirecutter.com and audioholics.com for CEA2010 (aka CTA2010) data for all current subwoofer reviews.
4. The 8" monoprice you mentioned has dimentions: 15.0" x 10.6" x 12.8"
5. My choice of cheap subwoofer is Dayton Audio SUB-1200 for $150usd.
It has dimensions: 16-3/4" H x 16-3/16" W x 17-3/4" D.
Yes, I realize that dimensions are bigger, but for the price, it's amazing performance. It's wirecutter's budget subwoofer recommendation. See wirecutter's CEA2010 data to understand.
Parts Express will ship to Canada, but you'll pay all the duties/fees/shipping upfront.
Once the borders open up, you could ship to a postal box close to the border and drive to pickup. $150usd=$200cad (approx), so when you're going through the border to pickup, you won't pay any duties (since it's under $200).
6. I only paid 12% duties last time I purchased a $1000usd subwoofer from US and drove across the border back to Canada. It was still cheaper doing it that way, than purchasing locally.
7. You didn't specify your budget, so it's hard to give further recommendations.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Couple more things:
8. Monoprice will ship to Canada, so I wouldn't bother buying from ebay (since I don't know who's providing the warranty) as opposed to buying direct from monoprice that will provide warranty. I think buying a new sub (with warranty) matters more (to me anyway) than getting a used sub.
9. Yes, Erin announced he'll measure the following 12" subs:
So, here are the ones I am thinking about. If you have suggestions, put them in.

Crutchfield has a few on sale right now that have substantial discounts, like these:
KLH Windsor 12 (on sale from $598, down to $299)
Klipsch Reference R-112SW (on sale from $649 to $399)
10. I suggested Monoprice 12" (Product # 9723) ($99usd) (most reviewed sub on monoprice with 322 reviews with 4.5/5 stars)
for him to measure, but who knows if he will. I think he's looking to measure subs available on amazon at first.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
9. Yes, Erin announced he'll measure the following 12" subs:

10. I suggested Monoprice 12" (Product # 9723) ($99usd) (most reviewed sub on monoprice with 322 reviews with 4.5/5 stars)
for him to measure, but who knows if he will. I think he's looking to measure subs available on amazon at first.

two things:
9. I announced I was thinking about those subs. Haven't decided for sure.
10. Yes, I will be measuring it. Someone from Monoprice got back with me and they (should be) sending out the 12-inch you mentioned along with their 10/12/15-inch monolith subwoofers. :)

I need to update my thread.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all.

My question is in the title.

My listening room is medium in size, say 17 'x 25'. The subwoofer is not for the CM just listening to music. I mainly listen to classical, jazz, progressive rock and classic rock.

Currently my hi-fi system consists of a DAC SMSL M200, Raspberry PI4, buffer / preamp, two amplifiers, 3-way speakers with an amplifier for bass and an amplifier for midrange and high.

To give a better idea, the woofer is a 5 "Wavecor in a transmission line, tune with an F3 of + - 63hz. I have calibrated my passive xover with measurement mic and REW. So I need a small sub that will add bass up to 40-45hz With a power of at least 50w rms.

I did some research and found this sub available on ebay. It is from the Monoprice brand, an 8 "with 100w rms amplifier and a signal / noise> 96db.

Monoprice Premium Select 8"

If you have any suggestions for other low budget 8" subwoofers, you are welcome!

I second the saving up for a RSL speedwoofer. Your room, assuming 8 foot ceilings is 3,400 cubic feet, pretty good sized (and this assuming no openings to other rooms). An 8" subwoofer is going to have a very difficult time filling this space, you will be lucky to see 85db at 30hz with an inexpensive 8" subwoofer. (See the attached article where even the Velodyne SPL-800 with 1000 watts and a very long throw driver could only make 82db at 25hz and a 96db average from 25-62 hz).

The RSL Speedwoofer puts out 102 db at 32hz. Better yet, two of them to even out the bass response. Keep in mind, that most people end up with their subwoofers about 5 db above their main speakers, so even though you may only be hitting 95db peaks on your mains, you will still need a sub that can do over 100db. I would also highly recommend you high pass your mains at 80hz. A 5.25" woofer is going to have very high distortion in the bass range which will carry over into the rest of its range. Relieving it of these duties will improve their sound.

Remember, Hoffman's Iron Law applied to subwoofers. Output is a tradeoff of efficiency, size, and extension. Small boxes and drivers require more power to get the same output, which in turn requires more money (the drivers have to be more robust, amps bigger). The fastest way to get more output is a larger driver in a larger vented enclosure.

Attachments

• Sound And Vision Magazine - Tiny Killer Subs.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 399

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I approve of the Rogersound Labs Speedwoofer 10S that both @leeroy 85032 and @CDMC recommended.

It's current Wirecutter's High-Performance Sub recommendation.
It's well-regarded in the industry (across multiple forums).
It's $400usd=$530cad(approx) retail, plus around $95 for shipping to Canada from US. Source

How will this compare to SVS PB-1000?
PB-1000 is $700cad.
Wirecutter preferred the Speedwoofer 10S in their blind shootout (over the PB-1000), so Speedwoofer is a good choice.
Speedwoofer will be slightly cheaper.
Food for thought. :D

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I approve of the Rogersound Labs Speedwoofer 10S that both @leeroy 85032 and @CDMC recommended.

It's current Wirecutter's High-Performance Sub recommendation.
It's well-regarded in the industry (across multiple forums).
It's $400usd=$530cad(approx) retail, plus around $95 for shipping to Canada from US. Source

How will this compare to SVS PB-1000?
PB-1000 is $700cad.
Wirecutter preferred the Speedwoofer 10S in their blind shootout (over the PB-1000), so Speedwoofer is a good choice.
Speedwoofer will be slightly cheaper.
Food for thought. :D
I guess "low budget" means different things to different people.

OP
ModDIY

ModDIY

Thanks sweetchaos ,

My budget is + -300 $ CAD. A sub that costs US $ 95 like the Monoprice 8 ", here costs $ 215 before tax.

I read the thread of Erin and it well and watch the great work done by Erin. If we forget the $ / db ratio (because it does not correspond to our prices) the Sony 10 "is in front of the Elac (despite a less flat coubre) with a better group / delay. I would have bought the Sony, but the amplifier of 35w rms does not satisfy me.

No I'm not in a hurry. Currently I have an old Energy S8.2 subwoofer made in Canada, dating from early 2000. it has a 100w rms and 200w peak amplifier, in short it responds perfectly to my needs, I took the measurements and it gives just what it takes with my TL 5 ", an f3 close to 35hz. Problem is, it's old and I want to replace it.

The sub is starting to show signs of weakness, such as the volume not going down, the detection that is not working as well.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
My budget is + -300 $ CAD. A sub that costs US $ 95 like the Monoprice 8 ", here costs $ 215 before tax.

Good to know the budget. That narrows down a lot of options.

Let's compare a few options direct from Monoprice.com:
1. Monoprice 8" sub (Product# 14567): $89.99usd+$18.30tax+$62.50 shipping to a Canadian address. Total is $170usd=$225cad (charged on Credit Card).
2. Monoprice 8" sub (Product# 14567): $89.99usd+$8.83tax+$13.90 shipping to a US postal box (then driving to pickup). Total is $112.72usd=$150cad (charged on Credit Card).
3. Monoprice 12" sub (Product # 9723): $94.99usd+$24.07tax+$105.63 shipping to a Canadian address. Total is $224.69usd=$298.99cad (charged on Credit Card).
4. Monoprice 12" sub (Product # 9723): $94.99usd+$8.07tax+Free shipping to a US postal box (then driving to pickup). Total is $103.06usd=$137.14cad (charged on Credit Card).

If this was me purchasing, I would buy 2 of option 4 (purchase twice and drive write to pickup, pay no duties both time).
Total would be $137/ea*2qty=$274cad/both.
Under budget, and you'll get dual subwoofers.
With dual subs, you remove any nulls in the frequency response and raise overall output of the system between 3 to 6 dB.

The only thing, I don't know how the 12" Monoprice performs, so I'm patiently waiting for Erin to measure and compare to Dayton Audio SUB-1200, to see if the Dayton is worth paying the extra $50usd over the Monoprice 12".

More food for thought...;)

OP
ModDIY

ModDIY

Yes sweetchaos, the post office box near the border is an excellent idea, except that before I lived close to the borders, now this is not the case because I live further north. I'm keeping an eye on the Dayton SUB-1000, not the 12 ". Otherwise I'll go with the Monoprice 8".

I like the idea of a DIY kit (with DSP). I will consult the supplier of parts of speakers and the brand Dayton, Solen, if they can get me a Dayton kit.

Top Bottom