• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Integrated Amplifier for PSB Alpha T20 Speakers

SiR

What could be the best IA for PSB Alpha T20 Speakers ?

Experienced FM's input could be of great value

Budget less than $1000/-

Source - Streaming, CD

Listening Area - 12" X 15"

Distance from speaker - 10 "

IA with HT Bypass could be a added advantage

OP
S

SiR

No one using PSB Alpha T20 speakers ?

Expected to get few suggestions/experiences to get an idea about it

Surprising !!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the reason you're not getting a response is that you're expecting people to do the work for you

i mean this is what i did:

dual 5" drivers, 88-90dB, 36hz drop off

6-8 ohm 60w nominal 15-120w range

ANYTHING will drive this... bloody anything.. even those stupid Schiit 5w desktop amps

these are so sensitive and they dont have impedence graphs but 6-8 ohm is walk in the park for anything decent

hell, the Aiyima A07 which is unfortunately an ASR favorite would absolultely belt these speakers especially with an aftermarket psu

or just get a Yamaha 701/801...

Reactions: SiR

Beave

Major Contributor
Why an integrated amp? Why not a budget AVR or a receiver?

If you're wanting streaming - and maybe home theater bypass - isn't that all the more reason NOT to get an integrated amp but instead to get a receiver?

OP
S

SiR

the reason you're not getting a response is that you're expecting people to do the work for you

i mean this is what i did:

dual 5" drivers, 88-90dB, 36hz drop off

6-8 ohm 60w nominal 15-120w range

ANYTHING will drive this... bloody anything.. even those stupid Schiit 5w desktop amps

these are so sensitive and they dont have impedence graphs but 6-8 ohm is walk in the park for anything decent

hell, the Aiyima A07 which is unfortunately an ASR favorite would absolultely belt these speakers especially with an aftermarket psu

or just get a Yamaha 701/801...
Thanks for the response Tony

But would like to state that I've already done the work - knew its specs and even got an audition with NAD Amp

It sounds neutral, good soundstage and surprising Bass response for its size and price

I was curious to know whether any one here use it with other IA/Receivers with the above mentioned specs/requirement and their feedback. that's it

OP
S

SiR

Why an integrated amp? Why not a budget AVR or a receiver?

If you're wanting streaming - and maybe home theater bypass - isn't that all the more reason NOT to get an integrated amp but instead to get a receiver?

The reason I prefer Integrated amp and not an AVR is, Sure an AVR cannot match to IA/Receiver for Music

I have WiiM Pro streamer, which I'm using with a hifi stereo system

My preference is Music listening and in future would go for Home Theatre setting in the same place

I want to have a good music system and also a decent Home Theatre one and hence looking of an IA with HT Bypass

Beave

Major Contributor
Thanks for the response Tony

But would like to state that I've already done the work - knew its specs and even got an audition with NAD Amp

It sounds neutral, good soundstage and surprising Bass response for its size and price

I was curious to know whether any one here use it with other IA/Receivers with the above mentioned specs/requirement and their feedback. that's it

Amps don't have a soundstage, nor should they impact the bass response. Those are qualities of the recording and are affected by the speakers and the room. The amp should have no impact there.

Beave

Major Contributor
The reason I prefer Integrated amp and not an AVR is, Sure an AVR cannot match to IA/Receiver for Music

I have WiiM Pro streamer, which I'm using with a hifi stereo system

My preference is Music listening and in future would go for Home Theatre setting in the same place

I want to have a good music system and also a decent Home Theatre one and hence looking of an IA with HT Bypass

Why wouldn't an AVR be able to match an integrated amp for music? The amp doesn't know what kind of content it's playing.

If you're wanting a music system and also home theater, an AVR does what you need.

OP
S

SiR

Amps don't have a soundstage, nor should they impact the bass response. Those are qualities of the recording and are affected by the speakers and the room. The amp should have no impact there.

You are right, the above explanation I mentioned was regarding the PSB Alpha T20 speaker, not about the NAD that was used

OP
S

SiR

Why wouldn't an AVR be able to match an integrated amp for music? The amp doesn't know what kind of content it's playing.

If you're wanting a music system and also home theater, an AVR does what you need
Though I don't have any personnel experience to compare AVR to IA for music, what I observed is below :

Many FM's here and elsewhere, in many reviews and audio related sites, more importantly users who have used both IA/Stereo Receiver and AV receivers have stated that AVR's cannot match to IA's for music

Maybe few higher end AVR's can match but not all

You have your own rights not to accept the above but I don't want to take a call on AVR for music

Elkerton

I have to agree that it shouldn't matter which amp is used if the speaker presents an easy load to drive. In fact, I have replaced my Threshold 400A power amp with an 11 year old Denon AVR and won't go back. Well, I might replace it with a newer one to take advantage of more current Audyssey DSP. I was merely experimenting with multichannel, classical tunes...

Top Bottom