• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'll avoid some of the great suggestions already made (The Witch and Neon Demon for example).

White Ribbon (2009) I want to say something just very quickly about this movie. It's mostly unlike anything in the modern era, in my opinion a masterpiece. Not brutality horror or anything like that, I think everyone simply desrves one day to watch this if they're past their teenage years.

Funny Games (2007) Same director, more grounded as we understand the genre of Horror

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of these you can simply pick out at random, in no particular order some of my favorites.

VHS (2012)

Sinister (2012)

The Conspiracy (2012)

Starry Eyes (2014)

Wolf Creek (2005)

Bone Tomahawk (2015)

A Dark Song (2016)

The Conjuring (2013)

Let the Right One In (2008)

The House of the Devil (2009)

The Mist (2007)

It Follows (2015)

The Descent (2005)

Get Out (2017)

Hereditary (2018)

The Skin I Live In (2011)

Shutter Island (2010)

Event Horizon (1997)

Hounds of Love (2016)

Honeymoon (2014)

Kill List (2011)

The Crazies (2010)

The Woman (2011)

The Invitation (2015)

Creepy (2016)

The Wailing (2016)

Under the Skin (2013)

Annihilation (2018)

I visited the thread and the few titles I picked @ random before visiting were already mentioned ... in the first post " A Quiet Place", just above ... "Get Out", "It Follows", "Under The Skin". Someone else mentioned ... "The Others". Another one already mentioned ... "The Cabin in the Woods" which is a comedy/horror...and in some ways "Get Out" too.

I recently revisited this one by accident ...
Don%27t+Breathe.jpg

Last edited:

spigot

Extreme French cinema:
À l'intérieur aka Inside (2007) (Kept going further than I thought they would with a pregnant woman and some scissors)
Martyrs (2008) (I found it that oppressive I had to pause it and have a wander around and make a cup of tea)

(Frontier(s) (2007) and High Tension (2003) are also nuts)

More recently, Terrified aka Aterrados (2017), an Argentinian horror, is good fun.

Swtoby

Speaking of horror movies, right now I'm watching my weekly fix of Svengoolie. Tonights flix is The Mummy's Curse.
If you're not up on this show, each week a guy named Rick Koz does a Elviora type spoof of a different grade B horror flix.
This shows been around on and off since the early 70s in Chicago. Now broadcast weekly on the MeTV cable channel it's great campy fun.
Check it out some Sat night at 8:00 PM Eastern time.
https://www.newsday.com/entertainme...re-than-just-a-b-horror-movie-host-1.14429412
image.jpeg
My first exposure to 3D was a tie in with Svengoolie and 7 Eleven in the 80s. The gimmick was you got 3D glasses from 7 Eleven and fiddled with the tint and hue settings on your TV before watching "Creature From The Black Lagoon". The result wasn't too impressive.

Last edited:

rgpit

Forum Donor
My top three:
1) The Exorcist
2) The Omen
3) Alien

lennard

I really like Cabin in the Woods but I generally don’t like horror movies (I scare easily! They just freak me out and I don’t enjoy it!) so I’m almost certainly missing a lot of the playing with genre tropes and such in this movie.
I knew I wanted to see it but go to the cinema because I didn’t know how well I’d cope and wanted to be able to pause it to take a break if I needed to. It was fine, actually, but you know

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. The Audition. Takes on new relevance in the time of Harvey Weinstein.
2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. "He's just a cook! Leatherface and I do all the work!"
3. The Dawn of the Dead. The horrors of American Consumerism
4. Reanimator. The horror of medical reasearch politics seen through a Grand Guignol slapstick lens.
5. Videodrome. How we internalize our technologies only to have them eat us alive.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "Best" of any category of creative works is of course exceedingly difficult to agree on or to limit a list to one to three items. Be the category paintings, photos, jokes, movies, classical music recordings, pop albums, or in the case of Henry VIII, ex-wives.

I have enjoyed many of the titles already listed, with Audition (1999), Martyrs (2008) and Annihilation being particular favorites. Avoiding repeating them, eschewing giallos, Lynch's Eraserhead, any of a series such as the Phantasm series, the Nightmare On Elm Street Series, gorefests, movies that rely overly on jump scares or soundtrack crescendos, here are a few that spring to mind.

First up, belongs to a popular horror sub-genre, but I did not realize it until almost the end. And no, it is not the serial-killer sub-genre. (2016)

Next up, yes, a zombie movie. But not until the last scene do you realize what the horror truly is. (2017)

Next up, another movie with a twist reveal at the end when the horror truly sinks in. (2007)

Lastly, two movies that share something, though I will refrain from spoiling anyone's pleasure by a reveal except to hint that the something begins with the letter "m" and ends with "s". (2005, 1975)

Issued on Blu-ray a couple of years ago. At last!

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I don't like horror. I love thriller. Whenever I like a "horror" I end up saying "this is actualy more like a thriller" lol.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Horror isn’t one of my favourite genres, but I do like it sometimes when they add a good dose of weirdness into it e.g. Color Out of Space

Top Bottom