• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

MattJ

Suspiria, either the original or the remake. I prefer the remake. Much darker and genuinely creepy.
A Dark Song. One of my favorite horror movies of all time.
Veronica. The end scene is a hair-raiser.
Oculus. Under-rated film, IMHO.
Agree with above. Martyrs - Original French version. Brutal, brutal film. REALLY BRUTAL.
The Green Inferno. I laugh at most cannibal flicks. I was not laughing at this one.
Midsommar. Excellent folk horror.
Heriditary. The whole film is good but the last 10 minutes are OMGWTF to the EXTREME.
The VVitch. Creepy and unnerving.
I'll probably get banned for this, but the Blair With Project remake was very good. Not sure why everyone shits on it.
The Thing (Kurt Russell version). The effects are a bit dated, but this is up there with The Shining.
Hellhouse LLC. Another good one that kind of flew under the radar.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Suspiria, either the original or the remake. I prefer the remake. Much darker and genuinely creepy.
A Dark Song. One of my favorite horror movies of all time.
Veronica. The end scene is a hair-raiser.
Oculus. Under-rated film, IMHO.
Agree with above. Martyrs - Original French version. Brutal, brutal film. REALLY BRUTAL.
The Green Inferno. I laugh at most cannibal flicks. I was not laughing at this one.
Midsommar. Excellent folk horror.
Heriditary. The whole film is good but the last 10 minutes are OMGWTF to the EXTREME.
The VVitch. Creepy and unnerving.
I'll probably get banned for this, but the Blair With Project remake was very good. Not sure why everyone shits on it.
The Thing (Kurt Russell version). The effects are a bit dated, but this is up there with The Shining.
Hellhouse LLC. Another good one that kind of flew under the radar.
I've seen all of them except A Dark Song and Hellhouse LLC. I'll check those out. Thanks!

MattJ

Under the Shadow. Very oppressive atmosphere.
The Autopsy of Jane Doe. A neat twist in that one.
Upgrade. More Sci-Fi than horror, but some very inventive fight scenes.
The Endless. Again, more sci-fi than horror, but really good.
mother! More drama than horror, but really ?????? No idea how to describe it.
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Very inventive take on a vampire movie. Excellent.
1408. One of the better Stephen King adaptations.
Battle Royale, if no one mentioned it yet. Dystopian kid fights!

Plcamp

“If you really loved me, you’d let me eat your brain”

1655927263599.jpeg

MattJ

“If you really loved me, you’d let me eat your brain”

View attachment 214128
Haha, great movie. That one, House, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Reanimator were all epic 1980's horror.

deniall83

I love all the 80's cheese.

Sleepaway Camp
Reanimator
House
The Stuff
Night of the Creeps
Chopping Mall
Nightmare on Elm Street series
Halloween series
Friday the 13th series

If you love horror, I recommend this documentary...

Vict0r

The Endless. Again, more sci-fi than horror, but really good.

From the same director, both "Resolution" and "Spring" are excellent too. "Resolution" especially. Super creative meta-horror.

Resolution-464917636-mmed.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor

MattJ

I love all the 80's cheese.

Sleepaway Camp
Reanimator
House
The Stuff
Night of the Creeps
Chopping Mall
Nightmare on Elm Street series
Halloween series
Friday the 13th series

If you love horror, I recommend this documentary...

Good list. I forgot to mention the Toxic Avenger.

Kegemusha

These all bore repeat viewing for me, giving the double whammy of being so uncomfortably creep in first viewing but with enough depth and human interest for a well enjoyed follow up:
View attachment 24896
Let the Right One In (Swedish 2008 original. If you see 1 movie from this list, this is it)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Days later
30 Days of Night
The Ring (Asian original)
Get Out
The Babadook
The Shining
The Conjuring
It Follows
The Others

Comedy horrors that are too much fun:
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
What We do in the Shadows
The Cabin in the Woods
The Evil Dead (1982)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)
I love horror movies
I would add

-Kairo (Japanese, I think was called Pulse in English)
-I saw the Devil (Korean, but kind of thriller as well)-Audition (Korean as well)
-Ichi the Killer
-A tale of Two Sisters
-The Wailing
-Martyrs

Saxon74

I've seen many good ones, classics or old ones such as "The Creeping Flesh", "Abominable Dr. Phibes" is also great, classic Vincent Price, "Bad Ronald" was a TV movie that was very good also. And from the "Texas chainsaw masaccre" type , I loved the 80's horror movies "Chopping mall". "Basket case", "April fool's day", "Witchboard". The Stephen King ones are great as well "Silver bullet" and "Pet semetary" were among my favorite ones.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I've enjoyed (if that's the word) many of the films mentioned so far (I think Martyrs was the most disturbing, followed by Funny Games) so trying to think of a few not yet mentioned (unless I missed them, in which case apologies to the OP) here in reverse chronology:

Lamb (Valdimar Jóhannsson's 2021 directorial debut) set in Iceland, a folk-horror fable where Noomi Rapace adopts a child (of binary speciation):

Lamb_(2021_film)_poster.jpg

Piercing (2018) is Nicolas Pesce's film version of Ryū Murakami's novel. It starts as a straightforward perfect murder scenario, but becomes more complex:

Piercing_poster.png

Following The Lobster, Yorgos Lanthimos directed The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) where a boy exacts pitiless revenge on the family of the surgeon who failed to save his father:

The_Killing_of_a_Sacred_Deer.png

Thelma (2017) by Joachim Trier is a change from his better known comedy/drama but also explores sexuality (along with a dose of religious repression) and does have a happy ending:

Thelma_(2017_film).jpg

Raw (2016 film by Julia Ducournau, who directed Titane mentioned upthread) is a coming-of-age horror film employing the metaphor of a young vegetarian veterinarian who develops a craving for flesh (you can guess which species):

Raw_(film).png

I haven't seen Pesce's The Eyes of My Mother (2016) but it's on my list:

The-eyes-of-my-mother-movie-poster-md.jpg

High Rise (2015) is Ben Wheatley's film version of the JG Ballard novel where the society inhabiting a brutalist tower comes entirely unravelled:

High_Rise_2014_Film_Poster.jpg

Dogtooth is an earlier film (2009) by Lanthimos, with an even more disturbing family dynamic:

Dogtooth(2009)_poster.jpg

Lars von Trier's Antichrist (2009) was the first film of his depression trilogy (it's dedicated to Andrei Tarkovsky) and obviously isn't for the faint-hearted:

Larsvontrierantichristposter.jpg

None of the above are fun, so Jennifer's Body (2009) is a change of tone (written by Diablo Cody fresh from Juno and directed by Karyn Kusama). Megan Fox plays a succubus, but the film has a(n unusual for the time and genre) feminist perspective.

Jennifers_body_ver2.jpg

Going back a way, Bergman's Persona (1966) deserves mention:

Persona_Poster.jpg

as does—and I thought I saw it upthread but maybe not—Polanski's Repulsion (1965):

Repulsion_(1965_film_poster).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom