• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
40 Days of Night. What happens when a bunch of Russian Vampires walk across the frozen Arctic Ocean and invade the Northernmost Town in the United States (Barrow, Alaska) just as it starts its 40 days in darkness.

If anyone's looking for this, its actually 30 days of night, but thumbs up from this aisle seat.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I would advise you "Suspiria" by Dario Argento, and "the House of the Damned" by Robert Wise.

Plus 1 for Suspiria, although I recommend eq ss the sound track master isn’t great, on my admittedly basic tv having the dialogue at audible levels meant risking getting my eardrums blown out by the (good) incidental music.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last House On The Left 1972
I believe Wes Craven first films, disturbing and violent, be warned. ;)

OP
kriskittybo

kriskittybo

The best horror film I've watched in a long time is "Tumbbad" and its streaming on Amazon Prime. Highly recommended if you are ok with subtitles.
Are you talking about this movie released in 2018? I watched it, but not on Amazon. Acting, direction, the story, everything is just mind blowing!

LightninBoy

Are you talking about this movie released in 2018? I watched it, but not on Amazon. Acting, direction, the story, everything is just mind blowing!

Yep, that's the one. I love it when horror movies have a mystery aspect to them but so often the reveal is disappointing. Not this one though. Mind blowing - as you said.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Man is devil, woman is god and house is earth. Storyline is from bible ?
Nope, that's backwards, as Eve said to Adam,
"don't worry about God Adam, here taste this apple." :eek:

Booker

Forum Donor
Recently I watched Come True. It is tagged with a horror label, but to me, the story is more sci-fi thriller. I can recommend it, also for a great soundtrack.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I bought a little B-movie I liked a while back on DVD - Dead End - but it came in 4:3 unfortunately. Then I noticed Vudu had it in Widescreen AND HD, D'OH! o_O
Another good little movie i saw years ago, "Them" is only available in SD or DVD, not sure which I'm going to get.
I was trying to subscribe again to Shudder but forgot my password, tevs, I remembered it being pretty meh.

LightninBoy

I've been watching a bunch of horror films lately (tis the season). Here are some thoughts ...

* You're Next, B. The first half is competently made but full of cliches and horror tropes and dumb jump scares. However, once the real lead character is revealed and takes over, the movie switches from horror to thriller and its AWESOME. Also, one of the best kills in cinema history.

* Mandy, C+. Like an acid trip captured on film. If acid trips were super boring. Interesting visuals and well paced 3rd act make it better than average.

* Color Out of Space (2019), B+. By far my favorite adaptation of this story. You care about this family, so what happens to them is truly, literally, horrifying.

* The Lighthouse, B+. Liked it way better than "The Witch". I recommend turning on captions so you can understand Defoe. Ultimately gave me "Lost" vibes - meaning lots of ideas, call backs to mythic characters, interesting story, but nothing ties it all together in a complete way.

* The Dark and Wicked, C. I cannot overemphasize how much the last 10 seconds of this movie ruined it. Up til then, it was a good, moody, low budget flick with a great theme.

* The Invisible Man (2020)., A+. I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE. The first scene should be taught in film schools on how to tell a story with no dialog. The lead actress was amazing. And the craziest thing - the film budget was a measly $7 million.

Top Bottom