• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
For you horror movie folks who are into hi-fi TV set-ups, does a good system and a big screen change the impact of the movies? It seems like it would reveal another dimension of the films.

Newk Yuler

Alien. I was 18 and right out of high school when it premiered. Scarred me for life. Also my all-time favorite movie. Kudos to those with the same mention in this thread.

I'll suggest watching Annihilation (2018). It's likely you missed it because it had terrible ad support due to the release company bitterly disagreeing with the director's stern determination for the end of the movie (which he got). He wanted his end and the company wanted candy bullshit for mass consumption. This movie effed me up for hours a lot like Alien did when I was a kid. It was my favorite movie of 2018.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For you horror movie folks who are into hi-fi TV set-ups, does a good system and a big screen change the impact of the movies? It seems like it would reveal another dimension of the films.
Oh yea. The jump factor always goes up when some sound effect blasts when the slasher jumps out. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speaking of horror movies, right now I'm watching my weekly fix of Svengoolie. Tonights flix is The Mummy's Curse.
If you're not up on this show, each week a guy named Rick Koz does a Elviora type spoof of a different grade B horror flix.
This shows been around on and off since the early 70s in Chicago. Now broadcast weekly on the MeTV cable channel it's great campy fun.
Check it out some Sat night at 8:00 PM Eastern time.
https://www.newsday.com/entertainme...re-than-just-a-b-horror-movie-host-1.14429412
image.jpeg

Wombat

Master Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Dr Paul Bearer was host of the weekly Creature Feature in Tampa for twenty years or so, sometime late in the last century...

Having some facial disfigurement reduced his need for tawdry makeup to play the part.

1563082167230.png

"I'll be lurking for you".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't like the Aliens series but especially the first one did scare the pee out of me. Of course I LOVE the Spaceballs spoof of it.

My favorite of all time is the PBS and BBC three hour production of Dracula with Louis Jourdan as the Count.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075882/

"The Other" a Tom Tryon novel made into an unbelievably great film
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069050/

I think both the above qualify as "sort of" high class entertainment.

When "Night of the Living Dead" 1968 came through St. Louis in about 70 or 71 a bunch of us went to a MidNight Matinee and it scared and startled a pretty good gang of college stoonts.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

I am not proffering these as good films but when I saw them at the Saturday Matinee's ,in the late fifties they traumatized me:

The Colossus of New York Absolutely terrifying to a seven year old. 1958
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051484/?ref_=nv_sr_3?ref_=nv_sr_3

Curucu Beast of the Amazon 1956 I didn't even see this. It was stupid when I saw it as an adult. But the trailer was very scary to me when I was about six or seven.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049115/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

World without End 1956 Has Hugh Marlowe in it. I went with my sister she probably thought that something else nice would be playing.
Deformed mutant earthlings.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049964/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

The above three are crappy campy late fifties matinee pix but the did scare the pee out me when I was a little boy. Gave me nightmares.
There were other creature features like Them and the Deadly Mantis and the Blob. but even as a kid you could laugh at those.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Comedy / Horror at its best!
The Abominable Dr Phibes, Vincent Price is priceless. ;)

Just as good, maybe better, Classical music buffs will love the organ music. ;)
Dr Phibes Rises Again

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
David Lynch - Mulholland Drive (2001)
Jordan Peele - Get Out (2017)

I'd put most David Lynch films and the Twin Peaks TV series in this list. They are scary, but for psychological reasons, for the way they make you examine your life from inside out.

@Newk Yuler I'm in the middle of Annihilation right now. Nice pick. In case you're interested, it's loosely based on Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979), which itself is loosely based on a famous Soviet novel by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, Picnic on the Roadside (1972).

Edit: Also has elements from Tarkovsky's Solaris (1971), loosely based on the Polish writer Stanislaw Lem's Solaris (1961).

Last edited:

Tool

Latly I watched two let's say Horror movies that really shocked me. Don't get me wrong because I'm really a fan... But this one were awfull and sick:
1992 The Chekist and 1988 Men Behind the Sun. Maybe the most scary thing is no what people are able to do them self but what already did...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

ripvw

Forum Donor
The Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum is simply amazing - LOVE him and HATE him, only film ever directed by the great Charles Laughton
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - original from 1956, they keep you in suspense right to the very end
Psycho - Hitchcock at his most suspenseful, which is saying a lot!
Cape Fear - Mitchum again in the 1962 original - he was just a great badass without really trying, one of my favorite actors
Rosemary's Baby - what a cast - way cool ending, not Hollywood at all
The Exorcist - and her head spins all the way around...
The Omen - the kid, the dogs, the inventive way people keep dying, great cast too
Jaws - come on now, how much swimming did you do in the ocean that year...Robert Shaw was superb as Quint
Alien - the first one was the most suspenseful but the second Aliens is really a better movie
The Thing - 1982 version with Kurt Russell and a cast of great character actors. Truly some WTF special effects...
Carrie - even the nice people die horribly - thanks Mom!
The Fly - 1986 remake with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis - weird, funny, tragic, romantic and horrifying make for a nice night in
The Silence of the Lambs - you never catch Anthony Hopkins or Jodie Foster acting - they just are. amazingly great movie
The Terminator - the original from 1984 with Arnold as the truly badass cyborg from our future, great supporting cast
World War Z - the only great zombie movie. The scenes in Israel are simply terrifying, so fast, so overwhelming

have to admit that I have not seen many of the newer horror films but I did enjoy A Quiet Place...so appropriate too for this website

Top Bottom