• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best high end headphones (budget 3k)

goldsoundz

hey guys im looking for best high end audiophile headphones and amp! I wanna spend 3k on each but could go as high as maybe 8-10k but id really like to spend 5-6k.
I looked at a few pair and I feel people with lists on sites dont seem to know as much as you guys so maybe a recomendation about a good combo?

SONY MDR-Z1R and​

SENNHEISER HD820​

kinda conflicting reports bout both so could go higher in price for another pair please any helps appreciated so I can learn please leave whatever you can

thanks

maybe I should make this more clear im not ultra rich or anything I do have a good job I dont buy expensive foreign cars or Rolex watches I mean I could but why it would be money I should be saving for retirement im 35 I have a small moderate home since I was 25 I just paid off I have a reasonable amount of money in my savings right now 50k+ I dont drink or use drugs or really spend money on anything fancy besides taking my girl out to Ruth Chris once a month for dinner. I dont plan on having kids I have a technics record player and bookshelf speakers. I want a nice pair of headphones and amp to make them sound good. I dont spend money on much so I figure music being my favorite thing to spend some money on. I dont need to spend 3k on each item I was just wondering what's worth it for the little bit of extra money instead of going to Best Buy and getting some $99 dollar headphones. again I wouldn't want to spend over 3k on each just have funds if more I was looking at 2-4k for both before seeing prices and doing 3k each but it seems like you guys recommend a lot less expensive. sorry I dont know much time for me to live a little buy something nice for myself

Last edited:
OP
G

goldsoundz

I like indie music alternative mostly when im using these also hip hop but not as much so bands like foxing, pavement, built to spill more then jay-z

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it need to be a closed one? Do you want to drive it with a mobile device?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best ones for you depend on what type of music you like, if gaming, it's really specific. You don't need to spend crazy money to get great sound anymore (value for money is all over the map). More money doesn't mean better with audio equipment, just like buying a Corvette new vs. a Ferrari that cost 12 times more and isn't 12 times more fun. Whats your favorite genre of music or bands? So much easier to help if we know what you'll really like listening to.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure what your other gear consists of but personally I would spend the money on IEMs and/or speakers. IMO IEMs can offer even more resolution than headphones with speakers of course giving you more of that tactile sound + soundstage you can't achieve with cans. In many ways headphones feel like a compromise between the two. Just something to consider.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In that price range (or even several hundred dollars) I recommend you decide for yourself and it would be best if you listen for yourself. Preferences & opinions vary. Most "audiophiles" have a strong preference for whatever is the most expensive. ;) But with headphones there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality as you can see by l looking at the price and "recommended" columns on the review list here. The main thing that affects sound character/quality is frequency response and most people don't prefer flat response. Amir uses the Harmon Curve as the standard for the reviews here at ASR,

Comfort, open or closed, and appearance are also personal.

...In a "blind" comparison where you don't know the brand or price you might choose a more affordable headphone...

markanini

Major Contributor
And you have based this opinion on what, exactly?
I don't know about @okok but this was published by Sean Olive:
DqAL6jvX4AA8dSC.jpg

Even if you take Harman with a pinch of salt, It can't predict individual fit an preference, I've personally found sets that are in high compliance with it give the most gratifying listening experience, with some light EQ. Those sets haven't been the most expensive I've had.

bodhi

Forum Donor
It seems that even headphone aficionados think mostly that after someting like LCD-X, Clear or Arya the benefits of spending a lot more only bring somewhat questionable improvements. I think bar for 90-95% from the best is even lower if EQ is used. Sundara, DCA Aeon RT, Ollo S5X and the like at ~500€.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yeah, I think the replies the OP has received should tell him that ASR is the wrong place to ask this type of question. Some people here have convinced themselves "through science" that $100 equipment outperforms high end audio. ASR is great for other things, but there is a certain subset of people here who hate high end audio and posting questions like yours attracts them like flies. There are even people here who think that any headphone that complies with the Harman curve sounds the same. You should hang around and watch what kind of replies will follow my post, and you will see that I am right.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You just want a random recommendation for expensive but value for money gear, here is a random recommendation for expensive but good value for money gear in my personal opinion.

DAC/AMP
RME ADI-2 DAC FS - $2000 / €1250

Headphones
Sennheiser 800S : $1,800
Audeze MM-500 : $1,700
Hifiman HE1000V2 : $2,000

Good luck.

markanini

Major Contributor
Yeah, I think the replies the OP has received should tell him that ASR is the wrong place to ask this type of question. Some people here have convinced themselves "through science" that $100 equipment outperforms high end audio. ASR is great for other things, but there is a certain subset of people here who hate high end audio and posting questions like yours attracts them like flies. There are even people here who think that any headphone that complies with the Harman curve sounds the same. You should hang around and watch what kind of replies will follow my post, and you will see that I am right.
Could be a fair point. Let's reverse it and see if it holds: Some assume a priori that some kilobuck headphone must match OPs sound preference better than something less expensive. [Insert unflattering adjectives here.]

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the issue is that sometimes people just want to buy something expensive, and we tend to push on them our own perception of value without caring what is it they are after. If a person asks which Lamborghini model you recommend, they are clearly not looking for fuel economy, so no point of telling them to check out Prius in my opinion.

juliangst

DCA Expanse + Topping A90d with any DAC

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

I would definitely agree that ASR is the wrong place to ask this type of question. In general, this forum doesn't care about price in so far as actual sound quality is concerned. The cost of a piece of equipment might just be the least significant indicator of sound quality actually. There's lots of other places on the internet people can go if they want to spend money they don't need to spend on audio equipment...

GM3

I think bar for 90-95% from the best is even lower if EQ is used. Sundara, DCA Aeon RT, Ollo S5X and the like at ~500€.
This. $99 gets you decent headphones but you can certainly do better; both performance, comfort, sounding good without EQ, etc. HFM Edition XS supposedly great also at that price, but yeah, diminishing returns do kick in.

I was re-comparing my headphones; and the difference between a 100-200-300 headphone isn't that great after a bit of EQing. The issue at lower price is often the signature sound; colored; non-flat FR, so you can lose yourself buying lots of headphones trying to find improvements; aka; just going from a flawed to flawed sound... But some EQing can bring the sound relatively close... Ex; a <100 bucks Grado SR80 which sounds harsh/bright/unpleasant can sound pretty decent after EQing, and even something like a hifiman 400i (which cost like 2-4x more at one point), which also has an out of the box un-optimal sound signature, won't sound drastically different after EQing both... Not sure people who aren't passionate about audio would reliably choose the more expensive as better. Audible differences, but you have to know what to listen for, and have both available for direct comparison.

If you really want to splurge $4000 and get the best, probably objectively this:
The design takes that of Stealth headphone to another level with nicely done grill on the outside.

Conclusions
Both objectively and subjectively the Stealth makes a leap forward in headphone sound reproduction and possibly for any audio reproduction. It is that impressive of a product. You all know that I don't usually waste a lot of words praising products. Mostly because I get so many excellent products to test and have my dream stereo that not much impresses me. But the Stealth did just that. It changed my outlook on how much better your experience can be listening to these headphones.

In some ways the Stealth reminded me of OLED TVs. The first time you watch them and see the inky blacks and wonderful contrast, you have regret that all that time you didn't get to see what your content really looked like. Stealth does that for sound reproduction.

There is no getting around the high cost of the headphone though. I grilled the company left and right on why this headphone costs so much and whether the cost could come down. My wish and hope is that it does come down in price to make it more affordable to more people. For now, not only is this some you should buy if you can afford it, but if you are an audio company and want to know what best in class, "correct" sound reproduction is like, you need to buy this headphone. You will finally have a true reference for quality and tonality.
You can save on amplification & DAC, as 3k wont' bring you significant performance improvements, something 1/3rd the price or less would would probably not be distinguishable in a blind test.

Last edited:
Top Bottom