• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 'hi-fi' audiophile bookshelf type speaker to pull mixing/mastering duties in a studio?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm not aware of any issues
If you're on a budget the Result6 is getting good reviews.
If not you can for The ATC scm20 or scm25
I suggest you auditiob before you buy anyways
The Dynaudio core series is also excellent from what I read on Gearslutz

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All PMC and ATC speakers I've seen measurements for show them to be objectively poor designs. Particularly if your intended use is monitoring, I would avoid them.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Find some MK1 Mackie HR824s. They punch way above their price

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
MK1 Mackie HR824s
Here's the measurements of HR824mk1.
1603599766251.png

1603599887635.png

1603599904683.png

Note: Current is Gen 2, called HR824mk2.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Ok peeps, now I need advice on a "B" set to my Genelec 8351B pair. I will make is simple for you since it is multiple choice. Which set will be the most "complimentary" to the Genelec's?

Choices are:
  1. Neumann KH 310
  2. Neumann KH 120
  3. Dynaudio Core 47
  4. Focal Solo6 Be
  5. Focal Twin6 Be
Of course I am open to other options, but these are the ones that will fit the best in my space next to the Genelec's.

Thanks!
KH310. About the Dynaudio, you should worry a lot, since they give measurement data for their cheaper LYD serie, but strangely omit it for their flagship. Lack of waveguide should also be a red flag for anyone.

I would say nothing terribly wrong but.... meh :)
How could you call this horizontal directivity "not terribly wrong"?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perhaps I missed it(haven't read the full thread), but I don't think people are saying tweeter material doesn't matter. I think what they're saying is that tweeter material doesn't matter if all other things are held constant; that is, they measure the same in every way(at least within the audible range).

That is the premise. There we get into a problem because in real world it is impossible to make every material act the same and by that measure the same. Especially true for tweeters that have to cover a very large part of intended frequency spectrum (2kHz-20kHz). Not too much of a problem if you use hard materials but soft domes are prone to problems in that sense since you can't make the break up go over 20kHz. All you can do is try to dampen the fabric enough and in the right places to mitigate unwanted properties of the material.

EDIT: Or try to cope with it by fixing the top of the dome (that's how Vifa XT emerged) but it brings different set of problems.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Well ... There is the Dutch and Dutch 8 Studio at around U$ 8500. Not sure if the application is near filed but this speaker seems to be the complete package. Flat, truly full range and superb horizontal directivity... A bit over budget but does Not need a subwoofer
Think they use Pascal Class D. If you are worried about that the Kii Three's are a better option. But those are even more expensive.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Think they use Pascal Class D. If you are worried about that the Kii Three's are a better option. But those are even more expensive.

There's no need to be worried about that IMHO. @auralux I'd say the Dutch 8C or Kii Three would be an excellent choice as they are both very accurate speakers that are nevertheless based on very different design principles from your 8351s.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On paper, the Kii are not a better option.
Any proof of why one should be worried about the Pascal modules?

The 8C are IMHO one of the most versatile speakers out there. I am not sure if they are for nearfield but in the midfield, there are few speakers out there that match their performance. On top of that they are capable of producing 105 dB @ 35 Hz in a room, this is loud. Very loud.
Read this review, with numerous, serious, measurements.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would still go with a pro audio company only, who know if d&d would exist in 5 years, how reliable is the 8c etc

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too worry about the future of D&D. I would hate to spend that kind of money on a loudspeaker only to have the company disappear on me.
I have posted about this...
If such were the general population mindset ... we would be having this discussion on a text-only bulletin board, using MS-DOS on an IBM PC ...

OP
auraluxstudio

auraluxstudio

I have posted about this...
If such were the general population mindset ... we would be having this discussion on a text-only bulletin board, using MS-DOS on an IBM PC ...
I am not knocking their products or vision. Nonetheless it’s a concern. Their financial stability as a company is unknown. In the grand scheme of things they are an infant.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have made excellent points about what will be "different", but what would be your advice on what would be a "better" speaker even if it is similar to the Genelec's?

KH310. About the Dynaudio, you should worry a lot, since they give measurement data for their cheaper LYD serie, but strangely omit it for their flagship. Lack of waveguide should also be a red flag for anyone.

How could you call this horizontal directivity "not terribly wrong"?

Imo this speaker has good horizontal directivity. Note that these polar measurements are only out to 90 degrees instead of S&R's usual 180, so relatively small directivity discontinuities become significantly exacerbated.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since Kii and 8C have been mentioned, it should be worth pointing out that their cardioid radiation pattern means that even if their on-axis measurements (or perhaps even 30-deg off axis) are same as other speakers, their in-room result is going to be different, due to lack of backward energy = lack of extra boost from rear wall reflection, for better or for worse. Theoretically, it should be better. Frequency response can be fixed with EQ, reflections can't, unless you're using FIR filters.
You may need to read a bit about the Dutch and Dutch 8C.. It actually uses the wall.. In the back of each speakers there are two 8 inches subwoofers drivers operating from 100 Hz down. The 8C, use the wall for controlled bass reinforcement , you must set-up some parameters based on the distance from the wall ... With that it achieves performance that are close to incredible.. Mitcho managed 20 to 20,000 Hz plus or minus 3 dB while being phase coherent... with apologies if that this is not llowed, from Computer Audiophile here is this speaker in-room.
1603641920852.png

If I seem enthused about this speaker , I am . IMO, it represents the SOTA in speaker at this point, no other way to put it. I understand that it is your money but I believe in merits, those companies we hold in high esteem did start with good products and were rewarded by the market ... This speaker deserves the highest consideration.
All that IMO, YMMV, my $.02 .. etc

Top Bottom