• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphones for passive noise canceling?

Urushi

Who makes the best passive noise canceling headphones?

I've had all of the major active noise canceling headphones and I don't find them to be comfortable for very long. I am wondering if there are good passive option. Over ear is preferred but in ear would be fine too if they are easy to put in.

I used to wear a passive headset when flying a plane and I could keep them on for hours without discomfort.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's are the best noise isolating, passive headphones that rtings has tested to date: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/table/110447

One headphone that they haven't tested yet, which I think would rank near/at the top, is the Beyerdynamic DT100/DT150. It's their best isolating headphone designed for noisy environments.

Last edited:
OP
U

Urushi

I was looking at the DT150 last night and it seems like the channel imbalance is common for that model. I love the way it looks though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Another concern with the DT150 is that with the stock leather ear pads, the headphone has a really strong bass emphasis:
Beyerdynamic DT150 Measurements Relative Frequency Response Closed Back Headphone (1).png

You can replace them with the EDT 100T ear pads made out of velour, to get rid of the bass emphasis:
Screenshot_20230426-165943_Chrome.png

The question then becomes how much those pads will affect the noise isolation.

OP
U

Urushi

There is also the DT250 which already come with the better ear pads, although I've read that the 770 Pro isolates more.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There is also the DT250 which already come with the better ear pads, although I've read that the 770 Pro isolates more.
Yes. DT250 isn't built for isolation like the DT100 and DT150 are.

D

Deleted member 60987

Here's are the best noise isolating, passive headphones that rtings has tested to date: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/table/110447

One headphone that they haven't tested set, which I think would rank near/at the top, is the Beyerdynamic DT100/DT150. It's their best isolating headphone designed for noisy environments.
I was about to say they might not be the most comfortable until I saw the 770s in your list. Yeah, you can get isolation, comfort and good sound with velour pads. 280 Pro and SRH 440 are not something I would wear for hours.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best I've heard is the Hyper Cloud Orbit. It uses Audeze 100mm drivers and a removable mic by Shure. The memory foam seal so tight it feels like suction cups taking them off. Good sound on the flat built in eq setting. You don't need the software, everything can be controlled with the buttons.

D

Deleted member 60987

Another concern with the DT150 is that with the stock leather ear pads, the headphone has a really strong bass emphasis:
View attachment 281588

You can replace them with the EDT 100T ear pads made out of velour, to get rid of the bass emphasis:
View attachment 281589

The question then becomes how much those pads will affect the noise isolation.
Wow. Do velour generally have a flattening effect like that?

paudio

I would expect something from Etymotic or Shure would be the most isolating short of a non vented solid/resin filled custom IEM. Other thing I have noticed on airplanes is larger headphones have to be kept away from the wall in the window seat else mechanical noise will resonance through the shells.

Top Bottom