• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone for people wearing glasses

ASRaddict

Hello everyone, been looking at the measurements and the comments at various forums, and I often read about the "seal" of the earcups and bass response. As someone who has been wearing glasses for the entire life, what would be a good option for me ?

I do prefer a balanced sound, I like imaging and soundstage, mostly 70s Rock, Jazz, some classical, and a lot of world music. I doubt my ears are good enough for super extra resolution, but the sense of space is very enjoyable to me. I have played around with an equalizer and my apple wired earbuds, and almost always, I have the equalizer set to flat, or rock (boosted lows and highs). I do not want to have "all the sound inside your head". This is mostly for home listening, so wireless, ambient noise isolation, ANC and portability are not high on my priority list, but are nice to have. Budget is around 1000 USD, and should include the amp if needed (though , from what I read, Toppings would do just fine for me). I do not mind doing EQ to get the best sound, and can use both Apple Macbook, Android phone or a Windows Laptop - no real bias here. However, I do not have a rig to test -so all EQ settings will have to be imported from some 3rd party source or have built in profiles.

Speakers are not an option at this point as the ones I want are quite expensive, and cannot be auditioned locally, and I am trying to not disturb everyone at home with my choice of music when they are trying to get something else done. I listen at moderate levels, but somedays can listen for hours while working.

I was considering Audeze LCD-i3, but read a lot about Sennheiser + Drop options, and some of the IEMs and wonder if that is the best choice for me. I can always order and return many of them, but would prefer a smaller set to choose from.

Suggestions ?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, planar headphones are much less affected by eyeglasses … Come to think of it, my present stable of headphones are all planar, save for the noise canceling Sony WMX-1000.
I wear glasses at all time.

Peace

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wear "Clic" reading glasses while browsing my tablet.

I wear Sennheiser HD600 over them quite comfortably. They have a plush fabric cover.

mSpot

I do not mind doing EQ to get the best sound, and can use both Apple Macbook, Android phone or a Windows Laptop - no real bias here.
I was considering Audeze LCD-i3, but read a lot about Sennheiser + Drop options, and some of the IEMs and wonder if that is the best choice for me.
I have the Audeze low end model iSine10 (now discontinued) and enjoy its sound. This style of earphone has a more open sound than IEMs, but it has large ear nozzles that are not the most comfortable for my smallish ears. It needs EQ for ideal sound, which is performed by the included Audeze Cipher cable. The Cipher cable has a Lightning termination for using with iPhone/iPad. It will also work on a USB-C port (Android/Mac/PC) when combined with a cable adapter from Anker. The Cipher EQ is tuned for flat response by default and it can be customized, but only on iPhone/iPad with the Audeze app. See the Audeze website for their software EQ options when not using the Cipher cable.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
what would be a good option for me ?
Some good options (especially if you EQ like me) are active headphones with a feedback system for seal compensation. Examples of these headphones are ANC headphones such as the QC 35II (measured here) and AirPods Max (EQd they are another good option). They actively compensate for the perceived bass loss when the seal is broken. If not, IEMs or some open-backs (if that’s your cup of tea) may do the trick.

OP
A

ASRaddict

I have the Audeze low end model iSine10 (now discontinued) and enjoy its sound. This style of earphone has a more open sound than IEMs, but it has large ear nozzles that are not the most comfortable for my smallish ears.

Thanks for the details - this is something that I was wondering too.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If imaging and soundstage are your priorities then I would not worry too much about broken seals. They mostly decrease bass which does not influence imaging and soundstage.

someguyontheinternet

DCA Aeon RT (closed) are very comfortable even with glasses and also dont seem to be affected in sound by my glasses. I can actually comfortably take my glasses off even while wearing these headphones.
It does need a good amp, but the 100$ Schiit Heresy I use has plenty of power to drive them.

phrwn

It depends a lot on the glasses too - arm thickness varies wildly from frame to frame. My current glasses have flat metal arms and I can't detect any difference with them on or off on any headphones I've tried, including Elegia's which apparently have seal issues under any conditions.

Of course when I'm looking for new glasses thin arms are now a major priority.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD560S.
perfect seal, seal substantially broken (even more than just some glasses)
seal.png

Open headphones usually are not bothered much by seal breaking. Most closed headphones are.

OP
A

ASRaddict

HD560S.
seal.png

Open headphones usually are not bothered much by seal breaking. Most closed headphones are.

Thanks @solderdude : This is the kind of data that ASR is great at. Helps me a lot - thank you

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IME using ear defenders and headphones for decades it is the spectacle frame design which makes the most difference to comfort and sound leakage.
I actually ended up buying spectacles with flat thin metal "legs" which sit naturally almost flush to my head for when using ear protection (racing cars are loud!) which are much more comfortable than the typical plastic legs and allow a much better seal. Thin wire ones are pretty good too.
With these frames all headphones I have tried have been comfortable and sealed well enough.

OP
A

ASRaddict

IME using ear defenders and headphones for decades it is the spectacle frame design which makes the most difference to comfort and sound leakage.
I actually ended up buying spectacles with flat thin metal "legs" which sit naturally almost flush to my head for when using ear protection (racing cars are loud!) which are much more comfortable than the typical plastic legs and allow a much better seal. Thin wire ones are pretty good too.
With these frames all headphones I have tried have been comfortable and sealed well enough.

Thanks @Frank Dernie - Unfortunately, my glasses are thick and heavy and the thin metal legs looks a little "off" with them.

I think open back are the right ones for me to start the "exploration" - Maybe a Hifiman "Sundara" to check out the planar sound.

Soria Moria

Have you ever considered getting glasses without earpieces like pic related? I’m starting to consider it mostly to avoid the annoying rubbing sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_7332.png
    IMG_7332.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 27

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Have you ever considered getting glasses without earpieces like pic related? I’m starting to consider it mostly to avoid the annoying rubbing sounds.
have you ever thought about joining SMERSH?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD560S.
seal.png

As my handle suggests, glass wearer here. 560s are a good choice. Mind you find the hd6xx as good in this area, subjectively I should say.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With open headphones seal (usually) is not a big problem.
It is with closed headphones.
Below the AKG K371
seal.png

ATH-A700X:
seal-a700x.png

Shure SRH940:
seal-srh940-1.png

Below 300Hz the bass levels are compromised in general.

Top Bottom