• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone for audiophile newbie

bruh

Hello im looking to enter the audiophile world. i curently own a pc38x so take that into consideration.

the most recommended have been the hd600 and the sundara. now this is hard for me coz i love vocals but i also love my electronic music.

and i know hd600 is better for vocals and sundara is better for edm but sadly i can only choose one.

which of these two is the better all rounder. I do not listen to metal/classical/jazz. So which suits my needs better.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I too am looking for another "entry" set, but may I suggest, the type of music should have nothing to do with the quality of the phones. They are good, or not. What I want for my Jazz, Swing, Folk, Filk, Shows, Classical guitar, and big nasty Eastern full orchestra, had better do just as well on my 70's rock.

600's are a little steep to call entry, but Sweetwater has them on sale.

Reactions: RHO
OP
B

bruh

I too am looking for another "entry" set, but may I suggest, the type of music should have nothing to do with the quality of the phones. They are good, or not. What I want for my Jazz, Swing, Folk, Filk, Shows, Classical guitar, and big nasty Eastern full orchestra, had better do just as well on my 70's rock.

600's are a little steep to call entry, but Sweetwater has them on sale.
thing is i think its pretty much impossible for a headphone like tagt to exist. trust me ive searched the whole internet almost

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Looks like the HD650's are about the minimum anti. Gasp. That is enough I have to think about it.

NYfan2

Forum Donor

Noodles

Audio-Technica ATH-R70X … it’s just better than pretty much everything until you go into the most expensive things.
HD600 is good too but they just feel …. Small compared to the R70X

radix

Major Contributor
I recently got the Sundara and typed in to Roon the Oratory 1990 harmen curve for the 2020 ear pads. If you use these curves, you need to remember to also do the preamp gain so you don't clip (where it says "preamp gain -5,5dB"). I use the "headroom management" for the preamp gain, then the parametric EQ for the rest. I also tried the optimum hifi and the diffuse field EQs, but liked the harmen best.

The Sundara sound a lot better with the EQ. They sounded a but muffled or muddy without it.

Noodles

Sundara and HD600 are good, but they are not R70X good. If you don't want to spend that much money - the step down would be the Senny HD560S or the HD599 ... whichever is cheaper where you live.
Honestly you already have a decent Headphone ... if you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole, sure... but you really don't have to.

Top Bottom