• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Headphone EQ for Integrated Amp

tonyo123

The option to insert a DSP or equalizer in between your tape connections will work for all your inputs.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The option to insert a DSP or equalizer in between your tape connections will work for all your inputs.
And how would I send the signal back to the Yamaha to use the headphones?

tonyo123

And how would I send the signal back to the Yamaha to use the headphones?

The line 2 tape out acts like a pre line level (w/o volume change ) that go into the DSP or equalizer that you use for your headphone listening (note DSP must have its own hp amp). The rca returns from the DSP then plug into the line 2 tape ins so that you can apply sound equalization via the power amp section to your speakers and room. You listen to the equalized sound by selecting tape on your integrated amp.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
The line 2 tape out acts like a pre line level (w/o volume change ) that go into the DSP or equalizer that you use for your headphone listening (note DSP must have its own hp amp). The rca returns from the DSP then plug into the line 2 tape ins so that you can apply sound equalization via the power amp section to your speakers and room. You listen to the equalized sound by selecting tape on your integrated amp.
I’ll try that.

tonyo123

I’ll try that.
Check your manual to make sure your amp's tape input 2s work as I think they do. This is standard tape functions for most integrated amps-receivers. I assume you are not using your tape selector so it is free,

One item of emphasis, whatever DSP-equalizer you use must have headphone out (amplifier). I see some fo the basic miniDSPs don't.

tonyo123

So checking the miniDSPs, this is the only DSP with analog inputs and headphone amp that I see. Looks good for what you want to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't have line outs to feed back into the amp for speaker-room correction.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dsp-headphone-amp/ha-dsp

So, playing with its setting via computer (USB) input should be easy. But, if you want preset settings like those of Amir or Oratory1990, you'll have to add in the specific filter settings. You might look for guide son how to do that on the internet.

tonyo123

Okay, so checking addo123's comment on the straight miniDSP HD, if your amplifier's headphone output allows you to select the tape out then you should be able to use your amp's built-in headphone amplifier. I am going to check the manual for your receiver.

kipman725

You could use a free form conferencing DSP like a symetrix unit to perform automatic input selection and gain control along with equalisation of all your sources.

tonyo123

Just checking the manual for your receiver, you want an output with fixed line out (not pre- volume controlled). The "tape out" (rec) on a typical receiver or preamp is a fixed line level output that is not connected to the volume control so it should work for you as the input to the miniDSP. The miniDSP out will go into the the line 2 tape in (play) or any of the other free amp inputs (except main pres as they cannot be played through headphone jack according to the manual). Those inputs are the selection you choose to listen via the amp's headphone jack or speakers processed for room correction (so, you would have two miniDSP settings one for headphone and one for speakers-room - note, for neutral room correction you will need a miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone and use of REW to measure then use as the settings for miniDSP - takes some learning).

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/332925/web_VAA8450_A-S2100_om_U_EnFr_D0.pdf

Gotta get to work.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Okay, so checking addo123's comment on the straight miniDSP HD, if your amplifier's headphone output allows you to select the tape out then you should be able to use your amp's built-in headphone amplifier. I am going to check the manual for your receiver.
So I hooked up my JDS Labs Element to the Tape (Line 2) outs, and put ran the RCA's back to the Line 2 ins. Listening to a CD (Balanced Input on the Yamaha), I could listen to my headphones on the JDS Labs, but when I switch the Yamaha to Line 2, I get nothing. I only hear sound when on the Balanced Input from the CD, not from the JDS Labs. I think the issue with the Yamaha is there is no Tape Monitor functionality. Yes, I can send audio out via the Line 2 outputs, but there is no way to listen to what is coming back from that output.

I'm leaning towards getting another RME ADI-2 and outputting the MusicCast to it via Optical and my SACD to it via Coax, then feeding the RME back to the Yamaha via the balanced input. I'll have to forgo the equalizing the turntable, but 90% of my listening is via streaming or CD.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I hooked up my JDS Labs Element to the Tape (Line 2) outs, and put ran the RCA's back to the Line 2 ins. Listening to a CD (Balanced Input on the Yamaha), I could listen to my headphones on the JDS Labs, but when I switch the Yamaha to Line 2, I get nothing. I only hear sound when on the Balanced Input from the CD, not from the JDS Labs. I think the issue with the Yamaha is there is no Tape Monitor functionality. Yes, I can send audio out via the Line 2 outputs, but there is no way to listen to what is coming back from that output.

I'm leaning towards getting another RME ADI-2 and outputting the MusicCast to it via Optical and my SACD to it via Coax, then feeding the RME back to the Yamaha via the balanced input. I'll have to forgo the equalizing the turntable, but 90% of my listening is via streaming or CD.

Would be the possibly best but not cheapest option- and quite likely making the HP out on the yamaha redundant too- or at least just there for a second listener or (if you are a weirdo like me) 2 sets of cans playing simultaneously for easy switching

tonyo123

Okay, I see the problem, They have a note on page 8: 'When Line 2 is selected, the audio signals are not output at the Line 2 REC jacks'. Not having a tape loop-back is unconventional and having to do with their circuitry design limitation (hard to believe for such a high end product - they cut a corner here). In older receivers this would work so you could monitor your recorded sound level on your tape deck as you were checking the record peak levels in the amplifier front panel meters. Old receivers would have an added record selection button so you could pick the input. Guess Yamaha doesn't think it is needed in the digital world.

Not sure of the general solution, but, the specific solution for hp listening can be the mini-dsp hp amp-DSP.

Starting to think this is a lot of trouble just for equalizing your headphones.

Last edited:

tonyo123

Holy smokes, look what I found (and I was just searching on tape loopback):

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tape-loops-on-amplifiers.246108/

('My current amplifier (Yamaha A-S3000) does not have a "tape loop" per se ....' and 'I’ve just googled-up a front panel image of the Yam and it looks like it does not have a tape monitor function, which is really bizarre IMO. Even my Verdier valve preamp has one! Basically you need a button marked something like ‘source/tape’ and I’m not seeing one on the Yam. It is something distinct from the input selector. As such you’ll only be able to monitor off-tape via headphones actually plugged into the tape machine. Just plug the tape machine into line 2 rec & playback, but it doesn’t look like you can do off-tape monitoring, which is annoying.'). See the picture of the Verdier and you will see the source selector.

So, the missing piece is the 'tape monitor' function selector (forgot that this was its name)

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
So I decided to save money and bring my RME ADI-2 home. CD and MusicCast connected and EQ working well. Turntable is on its own, no EQ.

Thanks to everyone and having patience with me.
BF2C6467-E5AD-4217-9357-865C30A742EA.jpeg

tonyo123

Looks like a good way to listen to Songs from the Wood. You might try calibration of both room and headphones as previously mentioned to get neutral sound. You might even like the system set up that way.

Top Bottom