• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Headphone EQ for Integrated Amp

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've got a Yamaha 2100 integrated amp and would like to get headphone eq setup but I'm not sure about the best product to use. Any suggestions that will allow me to continue to use the built-in headphone output?

tonyo123

That's a really nice amplifier. Congrats. I like the look and, outside of measurements, Yamaha amps and receivers have usually sounded pretty neutral.

If you use a windows computer to play your music, you can use APO (windows) or MathAudio Headphone EQ (component for Foobar2000) to equalize your headphones. If you want neutral sound, you can use Oratory 1990's (very large list) or Amir's headphone settings. Those also can be the starting points for further tweaking. I apply the Harman curve filters, rather than a flat response.

There are posts on these forums about APO, MathAudio (there's also a MathAudio Room that measures and equalizes and measures your room), and REW (also for measuring your room). The latter two programs require a calibrated microphone to measure the room (but, the headphone one you use the pre-measured equalizer settings.

Last edited:
OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
My issue is the multiple sources (computer is not one). Turntable, MusicCast and SACD player. I

tonyo123

Something like MiniDSP (in a pre-out configuration) or the new version (expensive). Can always buy an external analog equalizer with headphone jack, new or older used one on ebay. But, unless it is a top unit, the added distortion may not be worth the effort.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
It’s frustrating when @amirm talks about how important eq is, yet there aren’t any great options (at least not tested). I’ve got an RME DAC at work, but it won’t work for my home setup, else I’d just buy another one.

tonyo123

Do what I did, convert (rip) everything to digital files and use Foobar2k to play them back.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice. A built in headphone amplifier in the Yamaha 2100. The miniDSP or a dedicated hardware EQ is the best bet for a system wide EQ.
Yamaha amp.png

Bob-23

I've got a Yamaha 2100 integrated amp and would like to get headphone eq setup but I'm not sure about the best product to use. Any suggestions that will allow me to continue to use the built-in headphone output?

Given the high THD and the low output power, it might not be worth dealing with the inbuilt headamp - I'd get a separate headamp.
"Headphone Jack Rated Output Power / ヘッドホン定格出力(1 kHz, 32 ohms, 0.2 % THD)CD, etc.... 50mW + 50mW"
file:///tmp/mozilla_michael0/Yamaha-AS-2100-Service-Manual.pdf

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Given the high THD and the low output power, it might not be worth dealing with the inbuilt headamp - I'd get a separate headamp.
"Headphone Jack Rated Output Power / ヘッドホン定格出力(1 kHz, 32 ohms, 0.2 % THD)CD, etc.... 50mW + 50mW"
file:///tmp/mozilla_michael0/Yamaha-AS-2100-Service-Manual.pdf
And output to it how? The preout is being used for a sub.

The 1/2 watt has never been a problem for any of my headphones, in fact I used to have a 1 watt headphone amp by AudioEngine and this Yamaha drives all my phones at far greater levels.

And I'm never hearing 0.2% THD

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is the chain could you put an EQ box? If you're not careful you are going to talk yourself into a multiple input pre amp, output to an EQ box then onto the Yamaha do do the heavy lifting.

Cant say that I have seen reviews/ feedback for this good or bad, but an option https://www.schiit.com/products/loki but of course it needs to go somewhere between your sources and the power.

EDIT- this would allow you to use everything together - I have one - doesnt impact on the sound at all to my ears https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Cd-Aux...ch+box&qid=1611489666&sr=8-13&tag=googhydr-21

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Where is the chain could you put an EQ box? If you're not careful you are going to talk yourself into a multiple input pre amp, output to an EQ box then onto the Yamaha do do the heavy lifting.
I think you’re right. After reading a million times on this site how important it is to eq headphones, I came to believe I was missing something when it came to a traditional hifi setup. It seems everyone listens on computers (which I do at work), so any solution may create a myriad of other issues.

I think I was hoping for a 1/4” headphone cable that could plug into the Yamaha and go into something like the RME ADI-2. Or maybe better if RME had a pre-amp built into something like the ADI-2 to give me that great eq functionality.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Maybe Yamaha will build a 2 channel AVR (since every AVR they make has built in parametric eq, like my 3700).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you’re right. After reading a million times on this site how important it is to eq headphones, I came to believe I was missing something when it came to a traditional hifi setup. It seems everyone listens on computers (which I do at work), so any solution may create a myriad of other issues.

I think I was hoping for a 1/4” headphone cable that could plug into the Yamaha and go into something like the RME ADI-2. Or maybe better if RME had a pre-amp built into something like the ADI-2 to give me that great eq functionality.

What I dont know is how much you miss using a simple 3 way analog tone box like the Schiit compared to a 5 or more filter digital PEQ. You'll note if you look at Oratory's listings he has done a 5 band EQ for some phones just for the RME DAC. Using an RCA switch like I linked , then a digital box like the Mini DSP that does ADC/EQ/DAC with full EQ options might be the best if you are serious about it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Yamaha will build a 2 channel AVR (since every AVR they make has built in parametric eq, like my 3700).

I seriously doubt anyone would anytime soon. But for me one possible endgame is exactly that, amps with digital and analog inputs, ADC and DAC and full DSP. For me even better is something like the RME but with analog in, preamp outs and comprehensive DSP - that doesnt cost as much as the RME Pro!

Bob-23

Any suggestions that will allow me to continue to use the built-in headphone output?
There's also the way of using a passive filter for eq'ing your phones - plugged-in at headphone out. Look on Solderdudes' site (DIY-Heaven), if there's a filter for your particular phones available.

tonyo123

@SimpleTheater, I still have a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver in my basement home theater setup. Very good receiver that I've had for 12 years. I should probably re-purpose for two channel use.

'The preout is being used for a sub' - there are various options:

* use the line 2 tape play outputs to feed a Mini-DSP (or the like with headphone processor and amp) then u could feed back the processed sound through the play inputs for equalization of the room (with REW or MathAudio).

* assuming your sub has speaker level connections, you could use those and free up your pre-outs that way.

* for other access to your pres, add RCA Splitter Y Cables (1 Male to 2 Female Plugs).

* by the way, the newer line of MiniDSP products have Dirac Live built in,

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
One off-the-top-of-my-head, probably less than perfect suggestion: My Swiss Army knife for the past 15 or 20 years—can do EQ for headphones, and room EQ (though not like Dirac, etc., but it does have graphic EQ and parametric EQ), among many other things. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultracurve-DEQ2496-Ultra-High-Precision/

Looks like it’s on sale for the moment. The things you can do with it are only limited by your imagination. :p It’s a little dated by now but I use it every single day.

@amirm ’s review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nger-deq2496-ultracurve-pro-dsp-review.16991/

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
One off-the-top-of-my-head, probably less than perfect suggestion: My Swiss Army knife for the past 15 or 20 years—can do EQ for headphones, and room EQ (though not like Dirac, etc., but it does have graphic EQ and parametric EQ), among many other things. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultracurve-DEQ2496-Ultra-High-Precision/

Looks like it’s on sale for the moment. The things you can do with it are only limited by your imagination. :p It’s a little dated by now but I use it every single day.

@amirm ’s review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nger-deq2496-ultracurve-pro-dsp-review.16991/
What all of these great options are lacking are enough/ different inputs. I’m currently using balanced out from my SACD player, RCA from both my turntable and MusicCast. The Schiit looks like it can only handle a single RCA input and the Behringer seems to be limited to one balanced and one digital input (which I could use for the MusicCast).

Maybe I’m missing how everyone thinks these would fit into my system, but my hope would be that all my inputs could go to one unit, then output to the Yamaha.

Top Bottom