• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone amplifier (Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, ATOM) for DT 990 Pro (250 ohm) ?

sofakng

I've just purchased beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 ohm) and I'm looking for a headphone amplifier. I also have DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) that I sometimes use.

I'm trying to decide between the Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, and ATOM. I've just ordered the Liquid Spark based on recommendations but I really dislike the physical look (ie. it can't be stacked like square/rectangular boxes).

The DT 990 does have a bit harsh treble, so I ordered the Liquid Spark because it's supposedly warmer and calms the treble a bit. However, I don't want to "calm" the treble too much so I can also use my DT 770s.

Aesthetically, I think I really want the Magni 3+ though. I've heard it also calms treble a bit so would it be similar to the Liquid Spark?

Can anybody give me any advice?

I've never used a headphone amplifier before so I don't really know what to expect. The DT 990 were also my first open-back headphones so I'm in a bit of a new area here. Monoprice has an easy return policy so I thought I'd take a chance on the Liquid Spark but my eyes are still looking elsewhere. :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
If a headphone amp is working right, it doesn't affect treble harshness one way or another. I've got the Topping E/L 30 combo. There's never harsh treble with Drop 6XX 'phones, they don't make harsh sounds [even when they're supposed to]. The Philips Fidelio X2HR 'phones can be a little harsh on top. Doesn't matter what I plug it into.

Mind you, EQ does wonders and APO EQ is freeware. I increase the treble with the 6XX 'phones and don't worry about it with the Philips phones.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'd say that the L30, the Schiit Heresy and the Atom are pretty close to interchangeable...all three would give essentially "perfect" amplification. The Liquid Spark is probably right up there as well although its measurably a tad less awesome. I own the LS and Heresy and both are fantastic - neither is "warmer" or "cooler" than the other.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get the Magni3+ if you want a silver case, or Heresy if you want a little better performance. I really like the aesthetic of the Schiit headphone amps, and these models have good performance. They have Heresys in B stock for $89 at the moment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm trying to decide between the Liquid Spark, Magni 3+, and ATOM. I've just ordered the Liquid Spark based on recommendations but I really dislike the physical look (ie. it can't be stacked like square/rectangular boxes).

The DT 990 does have a bit harsh treble, so I ordered the Liquid Spark because it's supposedly warmer and calms the treble a bit. However, I don't want to "calm" the treble too much so I can also use my DT 770s.

Aesthetically, I think I really want the Magni 3+ though. I've heard it also calms treble a bit so would it be similar to the Liquid Spark?

Amplifiers cannot do the claimed 'special tricks'.
The ones mentioned are all linear in frequency response and have such low distortion that none of it becomes audible. In other words they cannot change nor color the sound in any way.
On top of that they all have low output resistances and the impedance of the BD headphones is high so that too can make no difference between any of the mentioned amps.
All of them are capable of driving the 250 Ohm BD headphones and only differ very slightly in max. SPL. You will not reach their limits under normal to loud listening levels.

To address the treble peak (some aren't bothered by it and even like it) you can use EQ or a filter. No amp can attenuate an 8dB peak by just being an amp and no HP cable can 'tame highs' nor any interlink cable. One is bound to the laws of electronics.

Buy whichever you like for whatever reason. They are all affordable and do what you need.
When you want to play loud now and then and plan to EQ look for amps with a a higher gain.

In your list of amps I noticed the Topping L30 is 'missing' as well as the O2.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So in 2000, 2001 I was pretty into cheap mono tube amplifiers. So much so that I bought a whole bunch of specialty resistors and swapped them in and out of amplifiers.. soldering them in and out. I found that the tonality of the amplifiers changed dramatically based on those resistors. I understand that power is power but I also have the experience that swapping specific resistors significantly changed the tone of an amplifier. Tom Petty would have post nasal drip with one resistor and not with another. So I guess I fall into the camp that amplifiers do have their own signature based on my experience. P.S. I really know absolutely nothing about audio... I have just gotten into it at certain times of my life and tinkered and had fun.

Top Bottom