• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

carewser

My mind is blown. I guess most of you aren't rock aficionados

Barely anyone's mentioned Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen-two guys that I thought were widely regarded as the two greatest axe men in rock as i'm pretty sure Star Spangled Banner by Jimi and Eruption by Eddie are the two greatest guitar solos ever

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't know if he's been mentioned in this thread yet but if the criteria was originality of style and unmistakable quality, I think that would go to Wes Montgomery. I don't think anybody sounded like that before he came along.

My mind is blown. I guess most of you aren't rock aficionados

Barely anyone's mentioned Jimi Hendrix <snip>

I'm personally disagree with the Hendrix argument in this context [no disrespect intended, all entitled to our own opinions and preferences, this comment comes as friendly discourse]. Hendrix was an absolute pioneer of the electric guitar, no argument from me. He has some fantastic music, no argument from me... but "best"? I interpret "best" as a measure of skill, ability, technical mastery, etc... I think that 50 years [since Hendrix was alive] of evolution of the instrument and methods pretty much guarantees that he has been eclipsed, many times over. Same argument goes for many of my own favourite guitar players. Randy Rhoads would be an example...

TLDR: More guitar players can imitate Hendrix doing the Star Spangled Banner than Doyle Dykes playing Gitarre 2000, making Doyle Dykes "better" than Hendrix... [random example / over-simplified]

/two cents.

Edit: I offer one that hasn't been mentioned at all (I think I've read every post in this thread)

Last edited:

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
I love electric, but creating magic with an acoustic is something different altogether. Michael Hedges considered himself "A composer who played guitar", but he was one of the greatest acoustic players ever. Even if you've got Quobuz, watch the youtube vid to see how a harp guitar works.

https://open.qobuz.com/track/369075

carewser

Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix has been voted the Greatest Guitarist Of All Time by readers of the Louder website. Over 70,000 votes were cast in the poll, with Hendrix topping a list of 50 guitarists, followed by Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan

Rolling Stone Magazine also ranks Jimi Hendrix #1 followed by Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck and BB King

Hotwetrat

Mark Knopfler

UNQUESTIONABLY.

As a musician, guitarist, pianist for many years I can say with full confidence Mark is one of the most incredibly gifted artists and guitarists I have ever had the pleasure to watch and hear. Alchemy live, Sultans of Swing.

I am very particular about 'Guitarists' and 'Guitar Solo's'. As someone who has been there and done the whole how fast can you move your fingers thing I grew out of it very quickly and found a great love for people who coupled superior command of their instrument with actual music/melody/art.

Mark Knopfler is IMO just one of a kind. A genius, a true master and artist.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a milestone record in collaboration, i still enjoy this record.
Funny when you see what happens when a student works with his teacher/influencer.
S.R.V. with Albert King
Some collaborations from Ry Cooder
Clapton with J.J.Cale

Sonny1

Two of my favorites Chet and Jerry Reed. I believe Jerry was Chet’s favorite guitarist or at least top two on Chet’s list. Jerry is known by most people as an actor but he could pick with the best, and was a pretty good soulful singer. Nothing fancy in this one but I love his rendition of this beautiful song.

I love the look on Chet’s face when he watches Jerry play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom