• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

cyruz

Chuck Schuldiner, his contribute to metal is second to none. The rest has already been mentioned.

Georgrig

Yngwie J. Malmsteen, you guitar noobs! His early works were masterpieces.

Also, Shawn Lane (Power of Ten), Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, Marty Friedman, Van Halen.. Too many!

Last edited:

Musty

Forum Donor
I'm a bit ambivalent about Tommy Emmanuel. He obviously has prodigious chops. I've watched, slack jawed, many YouTube clips of his fretboard wizardry, yet I have found very little of his recorded output I actually want to listen to. Chops isn't everything.
Tend to agree, flash but not listenable.

AlexHRider

he was like 14 years old xD

among others already been mentioned here i think i didn't see Paul Gilbert..

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Am I losing my mind? 8 pages in and no one mentioned Derek Trucks... You know... this dude

and

I dunno ... but... he ought to be a little more noticable in this discussion. "About as good as I've ever heard it...."

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
Sonny Landreth deserves mention when slide guitarist greats are brought up. I talked to Davey Knowles at an airport after a Bonamassa blues cruise. He said he and Joe Santriani were at a gig and Joe said to Davey after Sonny’s set…how do we f***ing follow that.

AlexHRider

Am I losing my mind? 8 pages in and no one mentioned Derek Trucks... You know... this dude

I dunno ... but... he ought to be a little more noticable in this discussion. "About as good as I've ever heard it...."

i reply with this
xD

Fregly

Another vote for for Trucks. I just discovered Buckethead. Usually I don't care for shedders; Bucket is way beyond that. I think he may have some kind of disorder the crazy amount of varied high quality material he has produced, a musical mania or something. Cuckoo Clocks from Hell is really something else.....

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Sonny1

Great thread! I’ve enjoyed listening to the clips and am no closer to picking a favorite. Thankfully we don’t have to and can enjoy these amazing virtuoso players. Can’t wait to start seeing them play live and in person again, at least the ones who are still with us. Live music is magical and although I spend a great deal of time listening to my system, there is something about a great live performance that recorded music can’t replicate.

My teenage son is a guitar player, and singer and until Covid, he had some great opportunities to play live. He will never be on this best guitar player list but it amazes me to see him play his songs live. Definitely a better musician than his dad ever was. I might be a little biased of course.

Aventador_SVJ

James Hetfield and Angus Young are my immediate thoughts.

Both reference guitarists in their respective music types.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just in terms of those I am aware of who pushed boundaries:

Django
Hendrix
Julian Bream
Robert Fripp
Eddie Van Halen
Dr Know of Bad Brains.

There’s a bloke who plays baroque lute outside Gaudi’s house in Barcelona. He sells his own home made cds and could probably smoke most of the suggestions we’ll get here. Highlights the sillyness of the question really, it’s fun to throw names into the hat though.

I’m sure I could thing of more.

Probably betraying my age and demographic too.

Offler

Tosin Abasi.

Jeff Hanneman of Slayer

Rest was already mentioned.

Top Bottom