• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

Pennyless Audiophile

Segovia is the best of all time -- at least those who have been recorded.

But then I feel it is generally inappropriate to group Classical guitarists with other genres, certainly not Rock.

I agree, they are basically two distinct instruments.

For the rock side:

Gilmour
May
Clapton

carewser

Segovia is the best of all time -- at least those who have been recorded. Bream, Williams, and good many others are wonderful but not quite as wonderful.

But then I feel it is generally inappropriate to group Classical guitarists with other genres, certainly not Rock.

Yeah, I had a friend years ago who was into classical guitar and he said Segovia was the gold standard, much like Hendrix is to rock

Moonhead

Will have to check Segovia out, thx.
Mike Bloomfield, not to shabby i reckon!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
11 pages, over a year of posts, and nobody mentions Steve Howe?

Rick "do people hate prog rock that much?" Denney

JuliaCoder

Will have to check Segovia out, thx.
Mike Bloomfield, not to shabby i reckon!

Al Cooper booked a studio in LA for 2 days to record this with Mike Bloomfield. At the end of the first day, Bloomfield stunningly flew back to NY. Cooper managed to get Steven Stills to record the second half of Super Session.

Cooper and Bloomfield played on Dylan's Highway 61.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Ok. So slightly going stir (bat s*it actually) crazy here in Malaysia. Listening to some of my fav albums, which sparked a search on " Best Guitarists Ever". Rolling Stone has several lists that seem slightly dubious to this old guy. Other sites actually have Slash and Willie Nelson in the mix, while ignoring Carlos (Santana for for the Luddites in the crowd). I thought it may be interesting (probably wrong) to see where ASR denizens stand. So, being new, ill informed here are MY top ten. Care to Contest???

1.0 Tie between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix
3.0 Joe Satriani
4.0 Jeff Beck
5.0 Carlos Santana
6.0 David Gilmore
7.0 Keef (Keith Richards)
8.0 Jimmy Page
9.0 Stevie Ray Vaughn
10.0 Pete Townshend
You are missing Peter Green, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson and Roy Buchanan. I might even add Derek Trucks to that list.

I'd remove Clapton for sure, because while he is an impeccable player his playing never moves me. If you want technical ability you might as well add some prog metal guitarists to the list.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd remove Clapton for sure, because while he is an impeccable player his playing never moves me.

I agree. Clapton plays immaculate lines, but he's like an ice skater doing the compulsory figures. One fragment after another, with no narrative or emotional connection.

Has anyone mentioned Jeff Beck? He's the last of that generation still doing interesting stuff.

jimboaz

Added NOT for speed but emotion -
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ronnie Earl (most under-rated Blues guy around)
Bill Frisell
Gary Moore

Last edited:
Top Bottom