• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best full sized passive noise isolation headphone WITH active noise cancellation? (Under $100)

Tmansdc

I do quite a decent amount of walking and it's mainly in neighborhoods. Sometimes though there are people mowing, using edge trimmers, blowing by in really loud cars, motorcycles, etc. and I can hear it and it bothers me with my current headphones (Monoprice 8323 stock). I know those don't block enough to prevent hearing damage.

I do not like IEM's. I've been looking up and it seems like passive noise isolating headphones are better for medium pitch to high pitch noises and active noise cancellation is best for low to lower middle pitched noise.

So I was wondering what is the best headphone that has a combination of the two for under $100? Even if the SQ is lower should I also maybe look into those hearing protection headphones like the WorkTunes from 3M and such as well?

Thank you very much.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, could you clarify please. You walk with music on but hear ambient sounds over the top and you worry the ambient sounds will damage your hearing?

Or, do you wear headphones solely to block out ambient sounds but your existing ones don't stop enough?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
The hearsay is sony has some of the best implementation of noise cancelling. The wh1000xm3 fit your budget. Haven't heard them but knowing Sony its probably relaxed and non fatiguing... Maybe :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The hearsay is sony has some of the best implementation of noise cancelling. The wh1000xm3 fit your budget. Haven't heard them but knowing Sony its probably relaxed and non fatiguing... Maybe :D
For $100?!?!? I either live in the very wrong place or you know some very generous retailers.

(aside- the WH1XXXXX have very small, pretty much on ear, oval cups- if that matters)

Sony WH-H900N are pretty easy to find around $100, have decent noise cancelling, and sound pretty darn good. They have a bit of boost on the low end, but not overpowering or bloated. I think they have around 30+ hours battery life too.

I bought a pair a year or two ago and have not regretted it for a minute. They are great for travel and when doing noisy tasks around the house.

For really loud tasks, I will occasionally put in some attenuated ear plugs and then the headphones. It works well since they are over ear, and the combo really cuts out a lot of noise. There is definitely a drop in SQ with that method, but it is worth it for saving my ears.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tmansdc

Sorry, could you clarify please. You walk with music on but hear ambient sounds over the top and you worry the ambient sounds will damage your hearing?

Or, do you wear headphones solely to block out ambient sounds but your existing ones don't stop enough?

Yes I walk with podcasts or YouTube videos on and the earcups don't block enough noise. I think the noise is still ear damaging.

I'd like circumaural passive noise cancellation thick earcups that help with mid and high pitch noise and active noise cancellation for low pitch noises.

I'd like to be able to turn off and on active noise cancellation and have either bluetooth or removable detachable aux cord.

Plus even if I don't play music through these I could still turn on active noise cancellation and throw them on when I know I'm going to be doing something noisy.

I'm ok with wearing earplugs I just don't like items. It's weird. I wore earplugs and hearing protector muffs when I stood outside watching random neighborhood fireworks. So I'm ok with that but that's passive noise blockage only no active noise cancelling or music capability.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Where do you walk with podcasts or YT videos that have ear damaging noises around ?
How much exposure during the day and what average SPL are you talking about ?
I assume if this is work related SPL levels are known or should be known.

OP
T

Tmansdc

Neighborhoods with the occasional busy street. Most cars aren't that bad it's just the occasional motorcycle, car with tuned engine, garbage trucks, lawnmower, etc. That worry me.

It's mainly for peace of mind. I figure if I can get a decent headphone with both good passive and active noise cancellation I'll be good. Like a Jack of all trades headphone. I don't need the best sq for this type of headphone mainly comfort and noise isolation are key. Just as long as it's not the old mdr-v150 or zx-100/110 sq. As long as it's better than that. I'm easy going with sq.

Job is kind of noisy at times with dishes and ovens and such but not too bad. I just been kind of really watching my hearing ever since July 4th 2019 with a lot of poppers going off near my ear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom