• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best effort room and audio system build

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My experience is that a small minority of tracks are just outstanding in an over-damped space; I mean truly incredible! I was so drawn to that experience it was what I thought I preferred.
It's my experience that lively rooms can create a false illusion of immersion but distorts the tonality
of the source more than I prefer.
I prefer to use an upsampler like Dolby Surround to create the immersion.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's my experience that lively rooms can create a false illusion of immersion but distorts the tonality
of the source more than I prefer.
I prefer to use an upsampler like Dolby Surround to create the immersion.
You have me intrigued!

Between 'false immersion' and a dead room, I'll take the immersion. I can't say I've noticed a tonality shift due to liveliness; though I'm also using 1/3 octave room eq (for better or worse... My ears say for better). Looking forward to the prospect of up sampling and surround music when I have surround and atmos speakers installed.

If I ultimately prefer multichannel music, and if I prefer a lower rt60 for multichannel, it would be an easy adjustment to make.

Out of curiousty, why do you consider room interaction to be a false illusion of immersion but not up sampled surround? Is that because the envelopment is originating from side and rear points? Or something else?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Out of curiousty, why do you consider room interaction to be a false illusion of immersion but not up sampled surround?
They're both false, maybe a bad word choice on my part. ;)
The big advantage with the multich path is control, at the push of a button I have a huge number of options at hand
to put into play to create an immersive soundfield.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
They're both false, maybe a bad word choice on my part. ;)
The big advantage with the multich path is control, at the push of a button I have a huge number of options at hand
to put into play to create an immersive soundfield.
Got it... And like I said, you have me intrigued.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Hello bugal1998
Could you put the REW .mdat when you can to see the acoustics of your room?
It's just curiosity.

Written with a translator.

Greetings
Waterfall of RT60 (room reverb) for the 10Hz - 1000Hz range. Down to 100mS if possible.
@hemiutut Here are the .mdat files. I measured each channel at (approximately) the left and right ear positions.

@sarumbear Are you able to extract the data you're looking for from the .mdat files?

I almost never use REW so hopefully the files are useable.

Edit: I couldn't upload as .mdat files so I changed the extension to .txt. Hopefully changing the extension back to .mdat after downloading works.

Attachments

• Left ear left channel.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Left ear right channel.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Right ear left channel.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Right ear right channel.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Top Bottom