• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Dongle/Portable DAC/Amp Combo for Sensitive IEM

PoorFi

I've been researching on this for a while but couldn't find any good fit.

I have a Westone UM Pro 50. Here's its specs:

Sensitivity115 dB SPL @ 1 mW
Frequency Response20 Hz to 20 kHz
Impedance45 Ω @ 1 kHz
Noise Attenuation25 dB passive

I have tried several portable DAC/Amp combos. All sound unbearably loud to me. For example, the iFi Hip Dac sounds open and warm (or distorted, depending on your perspective) with Sennheiser 650. For the UM Pro 50, the volume is either too loud or too low to even hear both sides.

I've tried the Hidizs S9 Pro recommended by Amir. Unfortunately, it's too loud even when I turned the volume of my android to just 7%. I was able to lower moreby turning all EQ options to -15db. Somehow that destroyed the musicality of the system. Everything sounded dull and compressed.

It really shouldn't be this difficult. All I want is a DAC that can process lossless and HiRes without too much distortion while not blowing up my ear drum.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been looking at the same thing, and ended up ordering a Hiby FC3. Mostly because the Tempotec and Hidizs are kinda hard to get right now in Europe. The FC3 wasn't measured here at ASR, btw, but measurements elsewhere looked promising.

Another good option that's readily available is the Ugreen Hifi Audio Pro. It's a rebranded Meizu MasterHifi. That one's about $50 and, since it's a Meizu in disguise, measured well here at ASR.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Isn't the EU version of the apple dongle famous for its low volume? maybe it suits you.
I understand there are dongles that adapt their output to the impedance of the headphones plugged to them. Have you tried one of those?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@PoorFi what content are you listening to? Local FLACs/MP3s or streamed music?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wireless = Qudelix. You can set a volume maximum in the app.

Wired = Meizu HiFi.

Extreme Budget option = Apple USB-C dongle

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the EU version of the apple dongle famous for its low volume? maybe it suits you.
I understand there are dongles that adapt their output to the impedance of the headphones plugged to them. Have you tried one of those?
The Meizu/ Ugreen @Vict0r mentioned above does indeed have impedance sensing- and i suspect the 45 ohm IEM used here wuld keep in in "low gain" mode or whatever its called.

Another option is the E1DA 9038 S or D (depending on if balanced plug or singled ended) which, with the companion Android app allows you to set a max volume limit on the DAC itself that carries over to any other devices you connect to. So OP could set that to say -20dB or the loudest they would ever want with those IEM then use whatever volume sliders in software and have good control.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Try a dongle with good measurements and internal volume control, so that you can keep it at a minimum for sensitive IEMs.
I guess TempoTec Sonata HD Pro / HD III / E35 / E44 or Hidizs S8 should work for you.

OP
P

PoorFi

I have also tried that. I don't know if I got a defective dongle, but the UM Pro 50 is so sensitive it would pick up a lot of noises. Also I don't think it can play lossless or HiRes. I might try to buy one at an Apple store to see if it works though.

OP
P

PoorFi

@PoorFi what content are you listening to? Local FLACs/MP3s or streamed music?
Apple Music. I've turned on HiRes at all times.

BTW, Apple Music lossless isn't bit perfect, although I think everyone on this site already knew lol

OP
P

PoorFi

The Meizu/ Ugreen @Vict0r mentioned above does indeed have impedance sensing- and i suspect the 45 ohm IEM used here wuld keep in in "low gain" mode or whatever its called.

Another option is the E1DA 9038 S or D (depending on if balanced plug or singled ended) which, with the companion Android app allows you to set a max volume limit on the DAC itself that carries over to any other devices you connect to. So OP could set that to say -20dB or the loudest they would ever want with those IEM then use whatever volume sliders in software and have good control.
The E1DA does have Amir's blessing. I'd like to give it a try. Did you feel like the sound was different when you used the EQ? That's my problem with the Hidizs S9 Pro. Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The E1DA does have Amir's blessing. I'd like to give it a try. Did you feel like the sound was different when you used the EQ? That's my problem with the Hidizs S9 Pro. Thanks!
Not eq. The app reduces the output volume of the dac itself.

Works fine for me with sensitive iem. Suspect you'd set it to - 30db or something though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@PoorFi I think your Hidizs S9 is totally suitable for your IEMs. It's just that Android's poor volume control is in the way. Please try the following:
-disable that -15dB EQ
-install USB Audio Player from the Play Store
-plug in your S9
-a pop-up should appear asking you with which app the device should be opened. Choose UAPP.
-tap here:
Screenshot_20220414-183019_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
Then "Hardware Vol", then set the volume slider to something like 30%.
-tap the Home icon in the bottom left corner, then the three bars top left, then scroll all the way down and tap "Exit".

Now you can open whatever music player you want and the volume should be way lower, giving you finer control.

OP
P

PoorFi

Welcome to ASR. Try a dongle with good measurements and internal volume control, so that you can keep it at a minimum for sensitive IEMs.
I guess TempoTec Sonata HD Pro / HD III / E35 / E44 or Hidizs S8 should work for you.
Thank you! The S8 seems to be out of stock. TempoTec' SINAD isn't in the top range according to Amir. Sadly Amir doesn't give subjective review using sensitive IEMs. I wonder if the lower SINAD can make any difference.

BTW, Amir, if you are reading this, I'd hope to see you offer subjective reviews using sensitive IEMs. While they are not the target equipment for many DACs and Amps, they are used quite often for listening to streamed lossless music. Because of their sensitivity it can pick up a lot of noise with subpar sources. I once used a Westone ES 30 on a cheap DAP gosh the noise was loud... It felt like listening to a cassette player LMAO

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! The S8 seems to be out of stock. TempoTec' SINAD isn't in the top range according to Amir. Sadly Amir doesn't give subjective review using sensitive IEMs. I wonder if the lower SINAD can make any difference.

BTW, Amir, if you are reading this, I'd hope to see you offer subjective reviews using sensitive IEMs. While they are not the target equipment for many DACs and Amps, they are used quite often for listening to streamed lossless music. Because of their sensitivity it can pick up a lot of noise with subpar sources. I once used a Westone ES 30 on a cheap DAP gosh the noise was loud... It felt like listening to a cassette player LMAO
Look at the 50mv rating on the reviews where it is given

OP
P

PoorFi

@PoorFi I think your Hidizs S9 is totally suitable for your IEMs. It's just that Android's poor volume control is in the way. Please try the following:
-disable that -15dB EQ
-install USB Audio Player from the Play Store
-plug in your S9
-a pop-up should appear asking you with which app the device should be opened. Choose UAPP.
-tap here:
View attachment 199868
Then "Hardware Vol", then set the volume slider to something like 30%.
-tap the Home icon in the bottom left corner, then the three bars top left, then scroll all the way down and tap "Exit".

Now you can open whatever music player you want and the volume should be way lower, giving you finer control.
Damn I wish I posted earlier. Just dropped off the S9 for return :( I guess I can order another one if they allow...

OP
P

PoorFi

Not eq. The app reduces the output volume of the dac itself.

Works fine for me with sensitive iem. Suspect you'd set it to - 30db or something though.
Sadly the E1DAs were sold out...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sadly the E1DAs were sold out...
E1DA 9038S is still available at a variety of places, see here.
The 9038D hasn't been available for a while now due to silicon prices, though it should come back soon.

However, I'm not sure either of them is a good choice for ultra sensitive IEMs.
I can hear the noise floor of both of them with the 107dB/mW Shure Se215.
S is slightly noisier than D.

OP
P

PoorFi

So I ended up buying the Ugreen dongle. It's a solid product for the price. My android (Huawei P20 Pro) just has absolutely terrible volume control, so it's still a bit difficult to adjust volume. Still, it's a great improvement from the iFi Hip Dac and Hidizs S9 Pro in terms of volume control.

On the other hand, I don't think the Ugreen dongle sounds as good as the Hip Dac or S9 Pro. This is purely subjective but perhaps someone will offer an objective analysis.

Also, I don't know if it's because of the dongle or the UM Pro 50. I'm starting to hear a tiny bit of white noise at the beginning of some tracks. Of course, the most noticeable were tracks recorded in the 70s or 80s such as Mitsuko Uchida's Mozart Piano Sonatas from 1984. Westone seems to be really good at picking up this stuff.

I contacted a friend at Meizu. Ugreen doesn't seem to be affiliated with Meizu. The dongle just used the same DAC chip.

Top Bottom