• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DIY speaker kit for sound

Schweppezz89

I am a cabinet maker and I would like to make my own speaker towers. I want something like the Triangle Borea BR09 or even better. I want the best sound possible but know very little about hardware of speakers. I listen to all genres of music so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly I need. I listen to alot of guitar music, hip hop and reggae if that helps but I need for more genres too. My room is around 20 square meters. What hardware should I buy to make these speakers. For the cabinet i can make pretty much anything possible so thats not an issue and don't mind spending alot of time making them if they just sound amazing. Would like to buy the hardware for around 1000 euro but I'm very open to spend alot more if it's really worth it. What would you recommend?

Triangle Borea BR09​

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Curt Campbell / Jim Holtz Anthology seems around your price range and form factor. The Statement IIs are a little bit more money and a little bit different arrangement. I have no personal experience with either kit and am unaware of real measurements (measuring big towers is a hassle, too) and these are older kits but Curt / Jim's stuff tends to have a good reputation.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Curt Campbell / Jim Holtz Anthology seems around your price range and form factor. The Statement IIs are a little bit more money and a little bit different arrangement. I have no personal experience with either kit and am unaware of real measurements (measuring big towers is a hassle, too) and these are older kits but Curt / Jim's stuff tends to have a good reputation.
Welcome to ASR!

Despite being older designs, will second speakerdesignworks designs and add this one: https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-wave-xl-fusion/ The heismann may be pricey for you unless you are buying new electronics too.

There is a gentlemen trying to sell a Selah Chiarezza kit on the forum if want a more recent design. It is quite a bit more than your budget though.

Last edited:

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Dilliw

If I could make cabinets it would be the Bordeaux's.

I've been looking for someone to make just the bass module cabinets. I have a pair of Great Heils that I picked up cheap and was thinking I could get those modules to play to 1600 in a two way.

Bordeaux

CalBear

Check out the JBL Paragon if you really are a cabinet maker. Two of these, one in the middle of each of side wall would sound stunning and provide visual ambiance as well.
paragon-color.jpg

Poultrygeist

Wonderful full range single driver speakers similar to the Pearl Acoustics Sibelius on youtube. No crossover or circuits to get in the way of the sound and a great design for a DIY cabinet builder.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Check out the JBL Paragon if you really are a cabinet maker. Two of these, one in the middle of each of side wall would sound stunning and provide visual ambiance as well.
paragon-color.jpg
Pretty sure Paragon plans, or at least dimensioned drawings, are "out there" (so to speak), as well. :)
They don't sound very good, unfortunately. -- though they are gorgeous in that swaggering 1960s America can do no wrong way. ;)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a cabinet maker and I would like to make my own speaker towers. I want something like the Triangle Borea BR09 or even better. I want the best sound possible but know very little about hardware of speakers. I listen to all genres of music so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly I need. I listen to alot of guitar music, hip hop and reggae if that helps but I need for more genres too. My room is around 20 square meters. What hardware should I buy to make these speakers. For the cabinet i can make pretty much anything possible so thats not an issue and don't mind spending alot of time making them if they just sound amazing. Would like to buy the hardware for around 1000 euro but I'm very open to spend alot more if it's really worth it. What would you recommend?

Triangle Borea BR09​

Wayne Parham’s pispeakers are worth a look. He provides proper measurements (inc off axis), free plans and good support.

Top Bottom