• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best dac with many digital inputs to upgrade an old stereo amp

Straycat

Hi everyone,
I am a proud owner of an old arcam alpha10&alpha10P analog amplifiers. No digital inputs at all.
I am looking for the best dac with several digital inputs (maximum budget about 600$).
i have several digital inputs: an Android tv, a ps4, a new tv with optical output (these are just 3 inputs), and I would like to connect a pc and mobile phones by Bluetooth.

i have seen this dac fro pro-Ject with 6 digital inputs! But I would like to ask you if some of you have some measurements of this dac, and if anybody knows an alternative dac with a similar amount of digital inputs.
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/dac-box-ds2-ultra/

I am reading great reviews in this forum about smsl and topping products, but I just see 3 digital inputs (1 optical, 1 coaxial, 1 usb) and that is not enough to upgrade my system.

thanks a lot in advanced.
straycat

MRC01

Major Contributor
Be aware: these toslink switches have a maximum bandwidth. Many of them max out at 48 k / 24 bit, so they don't pass higher bit rates (88, 96, etc.) that are often used with music. Some do handle these higher rates. This is an important thing to look for in the specs.

OP
S

Straycat

Thanks a lot! That could be an option. I will double check the output bandwith as I have an hdd with a lot of flac files ripped at 192bit.

anyway I will keep searching a little to find some dac with a few more inputs to avoid a lot of power sources and remotes.
I was thinking about cambridge audio magicdac plus which has a couple of digital inputs But I believe the quality is far from the topping and smsl you are testing here

thx.

OP
S

Straycat

Reading this amazing forum, I have seen the smsl M500 which has one additional optical input.it also performs great in all measures, so, I think that will be the chosen one.

any known bugs or issues in this product?
the inputs will be (androidtv by usb to play audio at max. resolution, an oled tv by optical 1, a ps4 by optical 2, a CD player by coax 1).

any comments are welcome.
thanks a lot in advanced.

Top Bottom