• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your choice

• SMSL MU8

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Topping D50s

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mass Fidelity Relay Bluetooth DAC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

La!$

My source is my PC and my purpose is to listen to FLAC 24/196, 24/192 etc and DSD music files! Please give your recommendations! I have made a poll as well feel free to vote plus recommend devices that you think are better!

Thanks! ☺️

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's wrong with the one you just ordered? (Topping D10)
The only major difference from the ones above is how they look , functions and price.

OP
L

La!$

What's wrong with the one you just ordered? (Topping D10)
The only major difference from the ones above is how they look , functions and price.
I canceled my order sir! I like the BT function and the looks plus in the near future might upgrade to speakers with optical inputs! ☺️

OP
L

La!$

I canceled my order sir! I like the BT function and the looks plus in the near future might upgrade to speakers with optical inputs! ☺️
Any advice about volume control? This can control the volume of the speakers as well right? How do I know when to stop? When the audio starts getting distorted?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For speakers with optical input the Topping D10 was perfect.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any advice about volume control? This can control the volume of the speakers as well right? How do I know when to stop? When the audio starts getting distorted?

When your ears start getting distorted you should stop increasing.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, I like the BT function plus the audio quality in the D50s is apparently better.

D50s does NOT have optical OUTPUT.

And no, the audio quality is not apparently better. The measurements are better. The sound quality is the same.

OP
L

La!$

And no, the audio quality is not apparently better. The measurements are better. The sound quality is the same.
I'm sorry I meant inputs!

OP
L

La!$

Can you let me know how I can connect the D50s to my speakers? My source is my PC. My speakers are the Audioengine A5+.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you let me know how I can connect the D50s to my speakers? My source is my PC. My speakers are the Audioengine A5+.

RCA-RCA cables from D50s to the Audioengine A5+ speaker which has the RCA holes.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry I meant inputs!
You wrote before:
in the near future might upgrade to speakers with optical inputs!

If you want to ENTER in OPTICAL in the future speaker, you'll have to GO OUT in OPTICAL from somewhere.

D50s doesn't have a Optical Out. It has only a Optical In (to connect a CD player as a drive for instance).

If you want to connect your future speakers with OPTICAL IN, you will need a Topping D10 or any other DAC /pre-amp with a Optical Out.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My source is my PC and my purpose is to listen to FLAC 24/196, 24/192 etc and DSD music files! Please give your recommendations! I have made a poll as well feel free to vote plus recommend devices that you think are better!

Thanks! ☺️
You wrote before:

If you want to ENTER in OPTICAL in the future speaker, you'll have to GO OUT in OPTICAL from somewhere.

D50s doesn't have a Optical Out. It has only a Optical In (to connect a CD player as a drive for instance).

If you want to connect your future speakers with OPTICAL IN, you will need a Topping D10 or any other DAC /pre-amp with a Optical Out.

I think a chromecast audio might work out better than you think. It has optical out for future speakers, and analog out for your current setup. No USB, but you can cast to it from anything through WiFi/chromecast.

Edit: Actually...No, DSD so it doesn't meet your needs...

Willem

Major Contributor
I think you first have to work out what the difference is between input and output and what the difference is between digital and analogue, because you keep posting very confused questions.
The cheapest and simplest solution is indeed to use the analogue output of a Chromecast Audio and forget about your computer. The inbuilt DAC of the CCA is more than good enough for your system. For volume control you can use a combination of volume control on the speakers and the volume control in the CCA.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Here are my speakers connected via rca to my chromecast audio.
0806191006_HDR.jpg

Here, the rca cable is replaced with an optical cable (same hole on CCA) which in turn passes the digital signal along to the dx3, which then sends analog to the speakers via rca.
0806191008_HDR.jpg

Those CCA's are awesome...

s002wjh

wait, if he is using optical, isn't he is using speaker DAC? as I recall optical are digital signal. if so it depend on speaker dac? so its better connect to PC optical out?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
He doesn't have a speaker with optical in yet.

When he does, it would be his choice which DAC to use for the D/A conversion. In that case, the CCA could just stream digital without connection to any USB, or if the computer has optical out you can obviously use that as well, but you'd need to be physically connected.

Willem

Major Contributor
These active speakers do not have an optical digital input, but only rca analogue. Therefore, BD Woody uses either the inbuilt DAC of the CCA and its analogue output, or the optical digital output of the CCA with a separate DAC with optical input (and analogue rca output, of course).

OP
L

La!$

You wrote before:

Can you recommend me a DAC that ticks all those boxes and has BT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom