• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC under 100/150$

Transpareo

Hello. There are so many reviews here that I won't be able to digest and compare it all, so I'm going to ask straight away. What is the best dac under 100 and 150 categories? Ol Dac, SDAC, d30 or is there even something better in terms of performance/value currently? The main features that I need with it are:
- Lack of DAC self-muting, or anything remotely resembling it. Can't express how incredibly disappointed I was when my then newly acquired odac+o2* poped and clicked when any audio stream would be initiated. Playing songs in foobar2000, for example, is a constant reminder that dac goes in and out of slumber, making impolite noises in the process. Even my cheapo fiio olympus mark 1 doesn't do that.
- Relay muting as a cherry on top, not having any clicks-pops while rebooting would be a pleasant bonus. That feature is not essential though.
Thanks.

Edit: *RevB from JDS, they changed the default DAC

Last edited:

mindbomb

I think the d30. I'm a little wary of usb powered devices, so I personally would rule out the d10 and sdac, even though they did well in their reviews.
I'm not sure what to make about the popping issues. Was the sample rate changing?

OP
T

Transpareo

I'm not sure what to make about the popping issues. Was the sample rate changing?
I, actually, asked JDS guys about it, and the reason for pops-cracks when chunks of data are sent into DAC (switching songs, system sounds overlapping), instead of a continuous audio stream, is that the DAC has a standby mode and needs time to get out and back in it, which can cause tiny sound artifacts. Very annoying tiny artifacts. Their OL Dac, for example, uses a different chip, without that we-gonna-crash-the-noise-floor-by-just turning-the-brain-off-every-time feature. So I'm wary now, don't want to buy another DAC with latency issues, especially when mobos codecs are so good these days. Speaking of, I tried my embedded realtek codek for comparison, and it, of course, had "instantaneous" performance: songs in foobar would start playing faster, system sounds response to clicking would be instant, etc, and no pops-cracks , it felt "realtime" in comparison. This ODAC peculiarity is not that bad in general, more of a psychology thing, you start getting buyer's remorse and a feeling that your device is unstable and inadequate somehow. Aall 3 aforementioned DACs, probably, don't have such problems, although nothing related was mentioned in reviews here.

Edit: "Intelligent Muting System; Soft Up or Down Ramp and Analog Mute For 120dB Mute SNR With Popless Operation."
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm5102.pdf
Yeah, popless my ass.

Last edited:

mindbomb

I don't understand why a non-battery powered dac would have aggressive power saving like that. If it's causing audible issues, that is unacceptable.

If it's related to the usb receiver, the d10, sdac, and d30 use xmos, while the ol dac and odac rev b use the sa9027.

Last edited:
OP
T

Transpareo

Under $100 - D10 (I own one and it works great, being USB powered is no issue with the D10/D30/D50 as the measurements show)
Under $150 - D30
Wait, what? How is D30 usb powered when it has a separate power adapter with it? What you've written in parentheses is confusing, sorry.

sophie smith

Also trying to get the best bang for the buck. Behringer is not an option for me as I need at least 2vrems out to drive my amp. Considering either Smsl sanskrit 6 ($107) or XtremPro USB DAC ($33 on amazon). Any feedback on any of those units? Both have good amazon reviews, but I am more interested in technical measurements/accuracy/details/build quality. Or you still feel topping is better?
Thanks

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
T

Transpareo

For the latter, see reviews of its clone here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-speaka-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.2423/

And for SMSL Sanskrit 6, here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...c-review-s-m-s-l-mini-dac-sanskritt-6th.1728/

I have put a link on top of the forum home page that links to all the reviews. :)
I know it's lazy, but since you've dropped by in this thread: are previous posters correct to say that d30 still dominates the scene all the way to 150$? Or have you measured anything better recently?

sophie smith

Thanks!
Actually, very useful site. I was about to pull the plug on Schiit DAC, but then found this. All for buying US made stuff, but did not realize the quality was not up to the par.
Keep up great work.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know it's lazy, but since you've dropped by in this thread: are previous posters correct to say that d30 still dominates the scene all the way to 150$? Or have you measured anything better recently?
The Topping D30 is $120 in US on Amazon including shipping so even cheaper than that.

And yes, I think it is still the best with most features (format support, inputs, etc.). I do hope to find some alternatives though. For now, it is the best buy.

Top Bottom