• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC + hp amp with only USB power?

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H
Well the Fiio K3 was released and seems to fit your bills perfectly (USB powered, big knob, digital volume control, lots of output and even 2.5mm balanced for extra voltage). The only gripe I might have with it is that USB powered means not much power, and for 500$ there's are many other better options if you don't mind the battery.
But I see you have the ifi already, though it's measurement aren't the greatest I don't think it's noticable if your workspace is noisy.

That unit looks interesting, though I'm annoyed by this trend of needing to use balanced cables to get decent output power. I don't want to have to re-cable all of my headphones.

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
This Fiio would also work great with active digital speakers, like Genelec's 8330 I have on my desk at home with it's digital coax out.

If I were to accept a device with an additional charger, then I might simply jump to the 'end game' and buy RME ADI-2 DAC. I already have the Pro Anniversary Edition at home... :cool:

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Heck, that Fiio K3 is only 99€ including shipping so I just pulled the trigger and ordered one! :)

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Quick update: I got the Ifi nano black label and I am liking it a lot in the office with the Focal Elegia. Put the Chord Mojo for sale.

And today I got the Fiio k3. Doesn't feel quite as solid as the Ifi, but it has one HUGE PLUS -> COAX out! This is highly relevant for those of us, who use digital active speakers with DSP room correction, like Genelec's in my case. This little thing could basically handle my whole desktop setup, where I now have the RME ADI-2 Pro AE pretty much only working as a volume knob for the Genelec 8330+7650.

It would be great to have the Fiio k3 reviewed here!

Roen

My stack sort of, but not really fits, if you can pre-charge an O2 amp, you can run it off batteries for 6 hours before you need another charge. Any USB 5V DAC will then serve the DAC portion of the stack.

bravomail

glad u happy with Fiio K3. It is a very versatile unit indeed. For ppl looking for K3 measurements - it will be close to Fiio QmkII. Headphone section supposed to be more powerful.
Alternatives - from my own experience, Hifime Sabre 9018. It has a single USB input and 3.5mm audio output. No versatility, but sound is pretty amazing. I suggest against Sabaj Da2/SMSL Idea - it is weak and distorts with less sensitive phones, I got better sound from built-in tablet audio vs tablet-to USB-to Sabaj Da2.

Roen

Hifime Sabre 9018 is just a DAC, no analog volume control. Must use source digital attenuation, which I don't believe OP is asking for.

gvl

Major Contributor
A bit too late but I'm very happy with a Centrance Dacport Slim, its more expensive HD cousin did reasonably well here.

Dana reed

you could instead get a DAP that supports Tidal and has enough battery power to last all day, like the Hiby R3 or others... Not too many measurements around on DAPs though

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I had this K3 for a couple of days. Nice device and worked ok. I decided to sell it since I like Ifi Nano Black Label better. The digital COAX-out makes this little thing stand out, especially if you have digital active speakers, like Genelecs. The volume knob does NOT control volume with digital out though.

Biblob

Amir told here that he bought a Fiio K3, so we will see how it performs eventually :)

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Bumping this thread and upping the ante -> what would be the BEST amp+dac with USB power according to specs?

Veri

Master Contributor
Bumping this thread and upping the ante -> what would be the BEST amp+dac with USB power according to specs?
From ASR testing I'd say Musiland MU2 Plus or Sound Blaster G6.

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Or Grace Design M900? The performance with just USB power might be enough for my Focal Elegia...?

Veri

Master Contributor
Or Grace Design M900? The performance with just USB power might be enough for my Focal Elegia...?
Absolutely or the Grace yes was thinking of the M9XX but that drop doesn't exist anymore, didn't know the M900 was still in production :) it's definitely a top contender on USB power.

OP
soundwave76

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Yes, still seems to be in production and Thomann is selling them. That or used M9xx from UK ebay, hmmm...

m8o

Forum Donor
Grace M900 / Massdrop m9XX (used) ?

I know in measurements it's flawed. But it's at audibly undetected levels. No battery. And sufficient power on USB only unless you need to drive very inefficient headphones.

Edit: oh, just discussed. I was only on the 1st page. So ya, another vote for that.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Need to look at your power requirements.

If its not overly demanding such as really power hungry headphones, probably would suggest the Sabaj Da3 running on balanced 2.5mm TRRS.
Just needs a singular USB connection. Pretty sufficient power for my HD6XX, though to be fair, I don't listen at very loud volumes 90% of the time.

Top Bottom