• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC/AMP under $50 - for Gaming in Windows 10 with AKG N60NC ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I have a high end motherboard and it's not compatible with headset which includes a mic.
I have an USB entire in my keyboard, and in place of to order an audio splitter cable I prefer to go to an external small audio card or a DAC/amp.
Am I on the wrong way ?
Well I agree with @Veri, save money and go for Sound BlasterX G6, you will get all what you need and more (mic, DSP, dedicated gaming mode & cetera) along with long lasting quality product and support. Regarding all the future's it brings & solid amplifier section the price is not that high. You probably can snatch it with some discount on amazon prime day or for holidays.

Best regards.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a high end motherboard and it's not compatible with headset which includes a mic.
I have an USB input in my keyboard, and in place of to order an audio splitter cable I prefer to go to an external small audio card or a DAC/amp.
Am I on the wrong way ?
I think you will need a mic split cable, in any case. https://www.amazon.com/slp/headphone-mic-splitter/ceuun2nq7wpk4e9
for example items 3 and 4: connect headset, the 3.5mm plugs to the headphone and mic port respectively

OP
K

KisSme

Well I agree with @Veri, save money and go for Sound BlasterX G6, you will get all what you need and more (mic, DSP, dedicated gaming mode & cetera) along with long lasting quality product and support. Regarding all the future's it brings & solid amplifier section the price is not that high. You probably can snatch it with some discount on amazon prime day or for holidays.

Best regards.
Ok, I understand your advice, but the G6 is too big and I didnt find a Sound Blasterx G6 under $50
I need a pretty simple and small thing allowed me to get the best audio part of my headtset and mic.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok, I understand your advice, but the G6 is too big and I didnt find a Sound Blasterx G6 under $50
I need a pretty simple and small thing allowed me to get the best audio part of my headtset and mic.
Well you probably won't find G6 under 120$ when it's on discount. Is it worth it? It probably is at least regarding me.
There whosent much of portable gaming oriented gear reviews hire, G6 is a sole exception up till now.
TempoTec Sonata HD (non pro) does support mic input but I am not sure does that work on Windows in two firmwares and its cheap but I can't recommend it based on it's performance & I don't think it would be a upgrade over your current Creative, probably even downgrade regarding output power. So if you are satisfied with what you have stick to it until you have enough money for something that would be a worthy upgrade.

OP
K

KisSme

Well you probably won't find G6 under 120$ when it's on discount. Is it worth it? It probably is at least regarding me.
There whosent much of portable gaming oriented gear reviews hire, G6 is a sole exception up till now.
TempoTec Sonata HD (non pro) does support mic input but I am not sure does that work on Windows in two firmwares and its cheap but I can't recommend it based on it's performance & I don't think it would be a upgrade over your current Creative, probably even downgrade regarding output power. So if you are satisfied with what you have stick to it until you have enough money for something that would be a worthy upgrade.
Ok, I thank you.
The creative DAC is the sound blaster play! 3
I don't know what sort of chip creative had implement in.
The only thing I can tell today is this combination (sound blaster play! 3 + AKG N60NC) is better than my old Astro A50 gen 3 gaming headset.
After this improvement, I thought, maybe I could still improve my audio comfort by adding a little more money by changing this DAC.
Actually I hesitate between the Meizu hifi HD Pro $44 with usb adaptor) and the sound blaster G3 DAC ($47).
What is your opinion ?

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually I hesitate between the Meizu hifi HD Pro $44 with usb adaptor) and the sound blaster G3 DAC ($47).
What is your opinion ?
Sound blaster is more gaming oriented. If it's mostly gaming you'll do, it might do well. Not that many reviews out though.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok, I thank you.
The creative DAC is the sound blaster play! 3
I don't know what sort of chip creative had implement in.
The only thing I can tell today is this combination (sound blaster play! 3 + AKG N60NC) is better than my old Astro A50 gen 3 gaming headset.
After this improvement, I thought, maybe I could still improve my audio comfort by adding a little more money by changing this DAC.
What is your opinion ?
I would tell you NO! What ever DAC Creative used on G3 it looks like ancient history, smells like an old PCM, anyway I don't think it's any better than the one you already own. I even think it's worser than TempoTec Sonata HD non Pro (21$) which I couldn't recommend you thanks to it's performance even it has mic support.
In the future also avoid "gaming headsets", instead go for good not over priced regular ones. In that territory I can recommend you Creative Aurvana Live first generation all do they recently pumped up it's price, still you can grab it on some discount.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You never told us on what you are gaming on, what's the MB & Sound card there?

OP
K

KisSme

You never told us on what you are gaming on, what's the MB & Sound card there?
The MB is MSI x570 A Pro and the sound chip inside is the realtek ALC1220.
Maybe I should listen Veri's advice and take an jack splitter
My favourite games are FPS (CSGO; COD) when my children are in bed.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Maybe I should listen Veri's advice and take an jack splitter
My favourite games are FPS (CSGO; COD) when my children are in bed.
Well then you are set to go. ALC1220 is actually deacent performer and those AKG actually don't measure bad (they measure better than they sound especially interesting is their BT measurements) and they are fairly easy to drive (37 Ohm's) so that you shouldn't need additional amplification of any kind for those.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...tooth-noise-canceling-headphones-measurements

You got us puzzled while you had all you needed from the start. Kiss the children and enjoy.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
You could split mic and get Schiit Hel for all-in-one solution. Note that the ALC1220 is not really bad like Zolalll says. Could hold on to your money.

OP
K

KisSme

Ok !
Thanks a lot to @ZolaIII and @Veri for their kindly advices and patience.
I ordered an audio splitter and a Meizu Hifi Pro for only $40
I think @ZolaIII is right, the ALC 1220 must be better than the Meizu pro or the Tempotec Pro.
But, I'm too much curious, after a lot of reflexion, I have to test the two solutions :)
I'll tell you my experience in game between the sound blaster, the Meizu Hifi HD Pro and the ALC 1220 after the 25th may, reception date from AliExpress.
Thanks a lot again and see you :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
ALC1220 isn't better but it should be good enough for in game's audio and most of the music & should be enough to drive your headphones loud enough. Meizu Pro will certainly have enough power to drive them.
Take care and enjoy, that's most important. ;)

vb09

I would tell you NO! What ever DAC Creative used on G3 it looks like ancient history, smells like an old PCM, anyway I don't think it's any better than the one you already own. I even think it's worser than TempoTec Sonata HD non Pro (21$) which I couldn't recommend you thanks to it's performance even it has mic support.
In the future also avoid "gaming headsets", instead go for good not over priced regular ones. In that territory I can recommend you Creative Aurvana Live first generation all do they recently pumped up it's price, still you can grab it on some discount.
Hey Zolalll!
sorry for bumping an old thread, was reading the conversations here and got inquisitive.
Actually was on the hunt for a DAC/AMP with optical input. Came across G3 as well, just wondering if you could slightly elaborate on the cons of G3.
I was thinking of using it as a temporary AMP and in future maybe use it as DAC in isolation and buy a separate AMP.
What are your thoughts? (PS: Planning to drive DT990 250ohms, connecting via optical of ps4 to DAC/AMP)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hey Zolalll!
sorry for bumping an old thread, was reading the conversations here and got inquisitive.
Actually was on the hunt for a DAC/AMP with optical input. Came across G3 as well, just wondering if you could slightly elaborate on the cons of G3.
I was thinking of using it as a temporary AMP and in future maybe use it as DAC in isolation and buy a separate AMP.
What are your thoughts? (PS: Planning to drive DT990 250ohms, connecting via optical of ps4 to DAC/AMP)
Get a G6 if you can find it for a good price.

vb09

Get a G6 if you can find it for a good price.
Been searching for a few days. Initially, I thought to snag a G6 directly from Creative (B-stock for a nice deal 75~ ish); seems like they are fully out of stock. Everywhere I looked I can only buy a new one for € 150.
Do you think G6 for €150 euros is a good deal or would you have any other recommendations?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Been searching for a few days. Initially, I thought to snag a G6 directly from Creative (B-stock for a nice deal 75~ ish); seems like they are fully out of stock. Everywhere I looked I can only buy a new one for € 150.
Do you think G6 for €150 euros is a good deal or would you have any other recommendations?
That's regular full price so it's not a sweet or great deal (but a regular one). If it doesn't itching you to much wait for the better deal as Creative has (had) them regularly (prime day, holiday seasons...). Unfortunately their is ongoing shortage of electronic components of all kinds which only has tendency of getting worse and more wide spread so far last example being SSD and mechanical hard discs (thanks to Chia). If you don't need bit steam (Dolby's) audio suport (you would let your TV or AVR do that part) every DAC with deacent Optical in (as much as I understand you insist on having one) will do. Thers couple of "desktop" ones so far mesured hire with a price that's under 150€, however none with ADC (mic in) or bit stream decoding. While G6 is good all around package (still performance competitive DAC, nice AMP section, DSP, bit stream decoding, rather bad ADC but still good enough for cheap mic and online chat...) you don't have to insist on gaming oriented product (more snake oil in those than audio it self) per see if you explicitly don't need some of it's functions (DSP, ADC...). For instance I use regular portable (flask alike with battery) USB DAC on PC for both music and gaming as a analog out to my amplifier or with hedaphones. It does the yob and does it good. I don't play live interactive games (MOBA) so I don't need mic (ADC) support, TV i use handles Dolby's (almost) properly (dose audio good and there's pletorija of unsolved issues with HDR [Dolby Vision scaling, HDMI 2.1 related issues, Windows and GPU vendor issues] and it doesn't help much that I careful chosen components I just get a little less issue that way). If you choose Creative after all be repaired for not stellar but after all long term support regarding drivers (on PC side) and a product that will probably last for long (which I cannot guarantee for ChiFi regarding both, of course I could be wrong and regarding Creative but in so far longe term experience it whose like that), I don't use game consoles (find it to much limiting). Even an portable dongle alike DAC like Apple dongle (around 9€ but 1.2 V) or TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (around 35€ and tops around 2V which is good for analog out line for amplifier) can do the job as long as they meet your output power requirements (as line out or providing enough power to your hedaphones).
Best regards.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hey,
They have the AE-5 and X3 currently refurbished, and they do restock the G6 every two weeks but their email notification doesn't work, you literally have to bookmark it and check each day. The AE-5 is much better, and it'll go in any PCI slot, not just the short PCIE ones. The DAC is warmer than the G6 which I never liked much, and the 5.1 on the AE-5 is better than the virtual 7.1 on the G6 (total loss of detail). The X3 was good in stereo/direct mode, but the SFXFI is useless and just marketing hype. The volume wheel is cool and it looks nice though, also it has good power for most things you'd plug into a $79 amp/dac combo.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hey,
They have the AE-5 and X3 currently refurbished, and they do restock the G6 every two weeks but their email notification doesn't work, you literally have to bookmark it and check each day. The AE-5 is much better, and it'll go in any PCI slot, not just the short PCIE ones. The DAC is warmer than the G6 which I never liked much, and the 5.1 on the AE-5 is better than the virtual 7.1 on the G6 (total loss of detail). The X3 was good in stereo/direct mode, but the SFXFI is useless and just marketing hype. The volume wheel is cool and it looks nice though, also it has good power for most things you'd plug into a $79 amp/dac combo.
AE-5 is reviewd hire also, comes with lower grade Sabre 32 P DAC and did not really shine. If you really need 5.1 out then it has some value. Unfortunately USB interface showed more versitile and time prone again or it would maybe be better to say Creative again menaged to mess the things up by not implementing PCIe standard in full but the end line is Creative sound cards cause PCIe issues with 4th generation of bus (makes me remember how originally Creative Ave 16 series had configuration/conflict issues with Nv GPU's at the time).
Best regards.

Top Bottom