• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best dac amp for hd6xx + iem?

jhd

Hi Everyone, This will be my first serious purchase and my current budget is around 1500 dollars(USD). I planned to buy the 6xx and will probably buy a good iem like the U12t in the future. Many mentioned that the RME-adi2 dac amp combo is unbeatable at its price point and has a dedicated 3.5mm output and setting for iems. After diving deeper into this dac, I found that the features it has is overwhelming and as a noob, I don't think I can take advantage of this dac. Any recommendations on what desktop dac amp combo that could be used for both headphones and iems? Perhaps a better dac/amp paired with ifiaudio's iematch to minimize hiss so I can use it with iems? Or invest in a good dac amp solely for 6xx and buy a better dongle for iems? How can I make the most use of my money? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sombreuil

Hi Everyone, This will be my first serious purchase and my current budget is around 1500 dollars(USD). How can I make the most use of my money?
The real question you should ask yourself is, do you need to spend that much? The answer is no, especially in a world where Topping exist.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I think first you should reconsider the RME. They are marvelous and you don't have to learn everything at once. I just love mine, and they have come down in price recently. It keeps everything in one box. Next, consider a Topping offering, such as the D90 DAC paired with an A90 headphone amplifier. Another option for a headphone amplifier is the JDS Labs El Amp II, that had an excellent review here at ASR. There are dozens of great DACs available now.

Reactions: jhd

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1500.00 is not really required but if you want to spend your money...

This is basic plain to operate, set it and forget it good stuff.>>>

Schiit Magni Heresy (Red and black colored amp in pictures.)
JDS Labs Atom DAC+

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a dated pic of the 50 mV SN test.
index.php

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good suggestions above. I use a bot an rme and a d50s/a50s stack, which are both stellar, but if I were looking for an inexpensive but great device now I'd consider the dx3pro+

I recommend eq though, the hd6xx is a great headphone but many find the bass lacking without eq.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should have said that for eq a raspberry pi zero 2w with moodeaudio does a great job for peanuts.

OP
J

jhd

1500.00 is not really required but if you want to spend your money...

This is basic plain to operate, set it and forget it good stuff.>>>

Schiit Magni Heresy (Red and black colored amp in pictures.)
JDS Labs Atom DAC+
Nice recommendation, would you suggest the Magnius and the Modius? Does a balanced output really make a difference?

Sombreuil

Nice recommendation, would you suggest the Magnius and the Modius? Does a balanced output really make a difference?
In terms of sound, zero difference. It'd give you more volume in case you'd need it.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone, This will be my first serious purchase and my current budget is around 1500 dollars(USD). I planned to buy the 6xx and will probably buy a good iem like the U12t in the future. Many mentioned that the RME-adi2 dac amp combo is unbeatable at its price point and has a dedicated 3.5mm output and setting for iems. After diving deeper into this dac, I found that the features it has is overwhelming and as a noob, I don't think I can take advantage of this dac. Any recommendations on what desktop dac amp combo that could be used for both headphones and iems? Perhaps a better dac/amp paired with ifiaudio's iematch to minimize hiss so I can use it with iems? Or invest in a good dac amp solely for 6xx and buy a better dongle for iems? How can I make the most use of my money? Any help would be much appreciated.
I have those headphones and I bought Topping A30 Pro and have a ton of power to spare. Yes it does run warm but not a big deal. Add a D30 Pro and you’ll have 500+ in the bank.

OP
J

jhd

I have those headphones and I bought Topping A30 Pro and have a ton of power to spare. Yes it does run warm but not a big deal. Add a D30 Pro and you’ll have 500+ in the bank.
I saw that the a30 pro have a 3.5mm output, how does it sound? Any hiss with sensitive iems?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw that the a30 pro have a 3.5mm output, how does it sound? Any hiss with sensitive iems?
The A30 pro has 3 outputs no hiss from any of them.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Sennheiser hd650 and VE Monk ear buds and been testing them all on two setups that came in. The Topping d10b DAC and L50 amplifier are an amazing match for both and there's no need to spend more to max them out. Also a Sound blaster X1 arrived today and both sound impressive too. The Hd650 at 80 percent volume is max I felt safe at and the ear buds also sounded terrific.
Stereo mode on the X1 is better than a G6 or AE-5 and it even powred the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 loud which was a real surprise from this tiny thing. The 7.l mode is fun in gaming with 31 percent SBX. I'd recommend start with the Creative X1 for $89 and the Topping d10b/L50 stack if you really want to. Even then you'll be way under budget.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30 pro has 3 outputs no hiss from any of them.
I also wanted a pass through. So when the headphones are off signal goes to my Genelec’s via balanced cables.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
A inexpensive portable DAC/Amp with Eq/PEQ that will work with your phone is the Qudelix 5k. You can get it on Amazon for about $120 USD. I used mine today driving the 650 and it works great for all of my IEM’s. You can run it on USB for best quality streaming and Bluetooth if you want wireless operating. I’m just mentioning this as an option other than the desktop setup. It’s really a great piece of kit and has incredible features for this price point. Worth a look right!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Sennheiser hd650 and VE Monk ear buds and been testing them all on two setups that came in. The Topping d10b DAC and L50 amplifier are an amazing match for both and there's no need to spend more to max them out. Also a Sound blaster X1 arrived today and both sound impressive too. The Hd650 at 80 percent volume is max I felt safe at and the ear buds also sounded terrific.
Stereo mode on the X1 is better than a G6 or AE-5 and it even powred the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 loud which was a real surprise from this tiny thing. The 7.l mode is fun in gaming with 31 percent SBX. I'd recommend start with the Creative X1 for $89 and the Topping d10b/L50 stack if you really want to. Even then you'll be way under budget.
I agree you can certainly be happy with that combo. My suggestion has tons more power and features for the future.

OP
J

jhd

What do you guys think of the thx aaa 789? Also have a iem output and great reviews

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
would you suggest the Magnius and the Modius?
For the Modius DAC I am good on it. As per the Magnius it gets a conditional recommendation that the balanced connection is used because the 1/4" output has issues.

I have the Magnius / Modius combo platter for my HD6xx - I always run balanced. Plenty of power and great sound. I do use XLR between them and use the balanced outs to drive a pair of powered monitors. It’s a great set up but way overkill for my IEMs….

Top Bottom