• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC/AMP Combo For The Money

Kitarist

Since there are so many units out there what would be some great DAC AMP combos for the money? Basicly that you get what you pay for :)

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like the offerings from Topping. Not sure if by "combos" you mean units that have combined the dac and headphone amp into a single unit, or
a combination of two separate units (typically called a stack). You didn't mention your price range. As a stack, the Topping D90 & A90 is an excellent choice. As a stand alone unit, the RME AMI-2 FS is superb.

OP
K

Kitarist

Well it could be both but stand alone units containing both would be better.

I would be using this for desktop use for music listening and gaming.

Was thinking of just getting FX Audio X6 MK2 and be done with it or is spending more worth it ?

Right now using Philips Fidelio X2HR Headphones

Thanks

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Well it could be both but stand alone units containing both would be better.

I would be using this for desktop use for music listening and gaming.

Was thinking of just getting FX Audio X6 MK2 and be done with it or is spending more worth it ?

Right now using Philips Fidelio X2HR

Thanks
Not familiar with the units you mention. Topping has some excellent stand alone units as well as stacks, highly reviewed here at ASR. The RME DAC is more expensive than the Toppings, but has incredible features, including built-in parametric equalization. RME also highly reviewed within ASR.

Brianc

Would be hard to beat the Topping DX3 Pro, especially if you can find it at a discount.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The FX Audio X6 MK2 is $80 so I think OP is looking for something on the cheap. I say get one and send it to Amir to test.

Martin

OP
K

Kitarist

Well my budget can go up to 300 or even more if its really worth it :)

Lupin

Well my budget can go up to 300 or even more if its really worth it :)
Topping EX5
About as good as it gets for AIOs in this price range.

Joe Smith

I keep looking for reasons to go beyond my Schiit Modi/Magni 3 stack, but can't find any for now. I think until the global chip shortage improves, I'm going to stay where I am, and I also want to see what Spotify settles on for their higher resolution streaming. I also love the JDS Atom line, but I'm just not a fan of the plastic casing; since these units are small and light anyway, the Schiit units are less prone to slide around on my desk with their metal cases.

Brianc

Topping EX5
About as good as it gets for AIOs in this price range.
Is it confirmed that the EX5 is audibly better than the DX3? I know its measurements are better.

Lupin

Is it confirmed that the EX5 is audibly better than the DX3? I know its measurements are better.
They both measure very well, both are transparent. There is no audible difference between the two as far as I'm concerned.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your headphones are rated at 30 ohms impedance, and the headphone amp specs suggest more than 900 mW at that impedance, so no shortage of sheer power (not necessarily Gain, mind you). Stick with headphones in the suggested 16 - 120 ohm range and I'd think you'll be just fine, with max power dropping when used with higher impedance headphones (not a flaw, it just means that such headphones need voltage more than they need current).

Amplifier gain is another matter, but they don't list specs for that. But if you can achieve a satisfying listening level without cranking the volume control to it's maximum setting, it's good.

It's okay to save some money here and put the savings towards DSP, which can make a much bigger sonic difference than anything you'll hear between decently designed DACs and amps.

Brianc

They both measure very well, both are transparent. There is no audible difference between the two as far as I'm concerned.
I guess the version 2 of the DX3 might present some issues with its higher output impedance if the poster is primarily using 30ohm headphones as mentioned.

Shazb0t

Hard to beat the Schiit Modius/Magnius combo for the money. It gives you a lot of options including a true fully balanced audio chain.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But the DX3 pro has a highish output impedance (10 ohm) and therefore might colour the sound of the pretty low impedance (30ohm) x2hr. The EX5 is low output impedance so not an issue. But yes, with higher impedance cans, there should be no "sound" brought by the units.

Sharedcave

Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum for a while but have not created an account. I'm new to hifi and was only aware of this side of the world because of Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless which I could hear the difference through a dongle DAC of iFi Hip DAC and Zen DAC V1 and V2. I was pleasantly surprised my ears can hear.

Thus my search of hifi equipment begins - I'm currently actually also looking for a DAC Amp combo for the minimalist setup on my desktop to pair with Sundara. I also considered a stack from Topping and Schiit - these brands are well reviewed.

I've read and watched reviews about Topping EX5 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS which are my shortlisted models.

But I know I'm a person who can't stop unless I buy what I really like - the ADI-2 which is like 3 times the price of EX5. So I'm just gonna save up for ADI-2.

BillyKueek

Hello! I started with an IEM and then bought the FiiO BTR5. I then went on to get a Philips Fidelio X1S as my first open back (still has my Sony WH-1000XM2) and bought it together with an MB Quart BT adapter. Love the sound of it and went on to get a HD650 and Sundara, currently paired with iFi Zen DAC amp V2. Looking to get the latest Hifiman Arya with stealth magnet and wonder if I need to upgrade my DAC and amp. The Topping D90SE and A90 looks great but it’s expensive, not sure if the DX7PRO will be sufficient upgrade from the V2. Advises please? We cannot get Schitt here

BillyKueek

the iFi zen DAC amp V2 not good enough for the Sundara?

Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum for a while but have not created an account. I'm new to hifi and was only aware of this side of the world because of Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless which I could hear the difference through a dongle DAC of iFi Hip DAC and Zen DAC V1 and V2. I was pleasantly surprised my ears can hear.

Thus my search of hifi equipment begins - I'm currently actually also looking for a DAC Amp combo for the minimalist setup on my desktop to pair with Sundara. I also considered a stack from Topping and Schiit - these brands are well reviewed.

I've read and watched reviews about Topping EX5 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS which are my shortlisted models.

But I know I'm a person who can't stop unless I buy what I really like - the ADI-2 which is like 3 times the price of EX5. So I'm just gonna save up for ADI-2.

Top Bottom