• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Cost Effective Implementation of DAC & AMP for Headphones and Balanced Powered Speakers

wacomme

I'm seeking balanced inputs for desktop powered speakers to a DAC and AMP (or combo) + headphones. What's the best quality implementation for this setup that's cost effective?

The EX5 comes to mind, but I believe the AMP is lacking compared to the L30 (and that's only RCA inputs). The 10Db (ok, D90SE) + A90 seems to be best quality (for Topping), but is there anything with similar quality that has a lower cost? 10Db + A30Pro? 10Db + L50? E50 + L50? What's the best quality/price option? Which option should offer the longest longevity (durability & non-obsolescence) without needing to be replaced?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's sort of confusing what exactly you're trying to achieve, but I can say with certainty the E+L units are basically where the bar is currently set for price: performance value. I don't personally feel balanced is required on short runs (such as desktop+headphones), I bring that up here because the L50 is just passthrough whereas L30 can control volume. Maybe that doesn't matter In your situation

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'm assuming I need balanced inputs (to my desktop powered speakers) because I've been plagued by interference issues in the past. Currently, I don't have the problem, but over the years I've had to address the interference issue several times.

I currently have the DX3Pro+. I'm within the Amazon window to return the DX3Pro+ and get something else with balanced inputs (or not). If I go down the non-balanced pathway, would the E+L 30 route be a better option than the DX3Pro+ - in terms of sound quality?

And if I need balanced inputs, what's my best option in terms of cost and performance? I have Sundara and 560s headphones. I want enough power to somewhat future-proof my dac/amp in case I decide to purchase high impedance headphones in the future.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The DX5 might be what you want. It has a more robust headphone amp output compared to the EX5.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

The DX5 might be what you want. It has a more robust headphone amp output compared to the EX5.
I forgot about the DX5. Did a firmware update ever fix the ESS IMD hump?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Thoughts on DX5 vs A30Pro + D10b?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts on DX5 vs A30Pro + D10b?

All of these options will be audibly transparent; if you want future proofing, get whatever's in your budget with the highest power output.

Top Bottom