• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best closed headphone

Soundstage

Hello,
I am very happy with my HD650 but the wife is not happy about the noise...
What would you recommend?
I am thinking of three headphones: dt1790 pro (USD 400), MrSpeaker Ether CX (USD 750) and HD820 (USD 1300). What am I missing?
The set up is THX 789 and Topping D70. All I need is a neutral headphone.
Thanks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT1790 pro does not exist. I assume you mean the DT1770. IMO it needs some modification.
Also consider Focal Stellia, SRH1540 (needs some EQ), Final D8000, AKG K872, Maybe ZMF ?

SRH1540:
fr-srh1540.png

D8000:
fr-d8000.png

DT1770 (modified only) and (modified + filtered):
dt1770-mod-filtered-vs-stock.png

HD820:
freq-response.png

Notice the weird behavior between 100Hz and 400Hz 15dB difference.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
I am very happy with my HD650 but the wife is not happy about the noise...
What would you recommend?
I am thinking of three headphones: dt1790 pro (USD 400), MrSpeaker Ether CX (USD 750) and HD820 (USD 1300). What am I missing?
The set up is THX 789 and Topping D70. All I need is a neutral headphone.
Thanks.
HD820 is very good regarding openness but twice as expensive as you think.

OP
S

Soundstage

The DT1790 pro does not exist. I assume you mean the DT1770. IMO it needs some modification.
Also consider Focal Stellia, SRH1540 (needs some EQ), Final D8000, AKG K872, Maybe ZMF ?
Focal Stellia sells at USD 3400 and could not find a second hand version. I’ll have look at other suggestions. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 9286

It’s all personal opinion of course but I have found the original Mr Speakers Aeon Closed to be the best sounding. It’s the most realistic sounding headphone I’ve ever heard. They are a bargain on the used market now, given the new version is out. They can still be had new though if you prefer.

I haven’t heard the new version yet, although I’m told it’s very good also.

Crazy_Nate

If you've got a place to go listen to Focal headphones, you might look at the Elegia (and drool over the Stellia too :)).

chi2

Forum Donor
Excellent suggestions so far - with the exception of Sennheiser HD 820 which I perceive to have a very peculiar tonality.

My own take would be:
1. Focal Stellia
2. ZMF Eikon
3. Focal Elegia
4. ZMF Atticus
5. Beyer Dynamic T5P
6. Beyer Dynamic T70p (with pro version headband spring)
7. Meze 99 Classic
8. Focal Spirit Professional
9. B&O H6 v1 (bass light)
10. B&O H6 v2 (bass heavy)

Alas, quality and price correlate much higher than one wishes.

If you live/work near Winterthur, you are welcome to listen to all of these at my home including the (no longer produced) only closed Stax headphone (4070) which I'd rank on the very same level as the Stellia :). Otherwise K55 in Zurich has the largest supply of headphones in Switzerland and they allow you to listen to any of them for as long as you wish.

OP
S

Soundstage

Excellent suggestions so far - with the exception of Sennheiser HD 820 which I perceive to have a very peculiar tonality.

My own take would be:
1. Focal Stellia
2. ZMF Eikon
3. Focal Elegia
4. ZMF Atticus
5. Beyer Dynamic T5P
6. Beyer Dynamic T70p (with pro version headband spring)
7. Meze 99 Classic
8. Focal Spirit Professional
9. B&O H6 v1 (bass light)
10. B&O H6 v2 (bass heavy)

Alas, quality and price correlate much higher than one wishes.

If you live/work near Winterthur, you are welcome to listen to all of these at my home including the (no longer produced) only closed Stax headphone (4070) which I'd rank on the very same level as the Stellia :). Otherwise K55 in Zurich has the largest supply of headphones in Switzerland and they allow you to listen to any of them for as long as you wish.
Impressive collection...
Thank you, offer accepted! Since I live close by let’s follow-up.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ether CX, very good, awful scratchy cable.

marv

sorry for reviving the thread, may i ask the OP what did you end up buying?

xykreinov

Forum Donor
The Status Audio CB-1 has very high value as far as closed cans go. Stock treble range is closer to the Harman target than most cans. I doubt I'll wear many more cans that are as comfortable stock. Tuned to not cause listeners fatigue.
Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm are a bit more analytical with their lighter drivers that are closer to your ears. But, even with eq correction, they can be fatiguing.

So, with the CB-1 you get:
- Low price, great comfort, and a neutral sound that won't be bothersome for hours- eq or not.
-- Not as analytical.
With the DT770:
- More analytical sound and better noise attenuation.
-- Less comfortable and a bit pricier.

Choose your trade-offs =P

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Be careful when buying the ATH-MSR7 (the non b version) as there are/were fakes around.

marv

Nothing so far, as member @chi2 as kindly offered a listening session at his place when the lockdown is over. So in the meantime I bought a pair of Revel F208.

Please update us when you do.. in the same boat as you.. looking for a good closed pair of headphones

Top Bottom