• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best closed back headphones for under 700 USD

Galke6

Currently, I want a bit step above to my Hifiman Sundaras, not exactly that but I want a closed headphones which have the same quality sound, I want one that isolates the sound well, with balance sounds and with good spatial effects

My primary usage are for music (80%) and FPS games (20%)

I have 500 USD but I can spend 600-700 USD max

My DAC/AMP is a Hidizs S9 Pro and Soundblaster ZxR

I currently use a Hifiman Sundara and I love with it, but I don't like detail lost thanks to the noise and and be a bit uncomfortable

My options are E-MU Teak and the Dan Clark Aeon RT because amirm recommends but I don't know are the best options

Thanks!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Currently, I want a bit step above to my Hifiman Sundaras, not exactly that but I want a closed headphones which have the same quality sound, I want one that isolates the sound well, with balance sounds and with good spatial effects

My primary usage are for music (80%) and FPS games (20%)

I have 500 USD but I can spend 600-700 USD max

My DAC/AMP is a Hidizs S9 Pro and Soundblaster ZxR

I currently use a Hifiman Sundara and I love with it, but I don't like detail lost thanks to the noise and and be a bit uncomfortable

My options are E-MU Teak and the Dan Clark Aeon RT because amirm recommends but I don't know are the best options

Thanks!
Focals are my favorites. I woukd love to try Aeons, was going to recommend them when I saw the title, and would pick those from the options you listed.

OP
Galke6

Galke6

Focals are my favorites. I woukd love to try Aeons, was going to recommend them when I saw the title, and would pick those from the options you listed.
I've heard the Focal Elegia are good for the price (350 USD) but I dont know if are a good step, the Celestee when I saw the amirm review I only wanna avoid it, I consider to pay more and buy the AEON 2 Noire or the Ether CX, maybe the LCD-XC

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I've heard the Focal Elegia are good for the price (350 USD) but I dont know if are a good step, the Celestee when I saw the amirm review I only wanna avoid it, I consider to pay more and buy the AEON 2 Noire or the Ether CX, maybe the LCD-XC
I would try the Noire before the LCD-XC. I have 2020 LCD-X and don't like the need for EQ. I am a proponent of EQ, but don't like headphones that are unlistenable without it.

Thomas_bati

Where did you find the Elegias at this price?

kism

I got my Elegias last year as well. I loved them straight out of the box. With their stock pads and oratory's EQ, they got even better. I then tried them with the Dekoni non-fenestrated Sheepskin pads, and they sound great like that with no EQ at all IMO. Things are really good. They block out enough noise for gaming and music enjoyment in my noisy apartment complex and have a wider soundstage than some of my open-backed headphones.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I got my Elegias last year as well. I loved them straight out of the box. With their stock pads and oratory's EQ, they got even better. I then tried them with the Dekoni non-fenestrated Sheepskin pads, and they sound great like that with no EQ at all IMO. Things are really good. They block out enough noise for gaming and music enjoyment in my noisy apartment complex and have a wider soundstage than some of my open-backed headphones.

I got the elegia recently and bought a pair of Dekonis elite sheepskin Stellia earpads and love how they sound.

The full price in Germany used to be 1061 USD and I got them on sale for 636 USD.

Getting them in the US for 350-400 USD is just ridiculous

Physkx

My top five closed backs that I have tried:

1. MMX300 (Same driver as DT770 32ohm but superior tuning to my ear.. could be pad related.. needs EQ for hf, decent comfort for long sessions)
2. DT770 80ohm (Have tried the 250ohm version and preferred the 80ohm, slightly less hf, decent comfort for long sessions)
3. 1More Triple Driver (Superior bass quality to DT770, though too much of it and also needs EQ for lf, average comfort)
4. AKG K371 (Doesn't need EQ, not as detailed or as good at imaging or soundstage as the options above, comfort hit or miss)
5. Audio Technica M50x (Just average all round doesn't excel or fail badly in any particular area)

wildgooselake

I would suggest Shure SRH1540, for some years now I have been using them daily for 3+ hours and they're amazing. Easy to drive, great neutral sound (especially with some minimal EQ), extremely comfortable and light. Recommended by some trusted reviewers (Tyll from Innerfidelity, Crinacle, etc).

For planars, espeically Audeze, you have to be willing to carry around almost half a kilo on your head. It's not that great an experience imo.

Also Fostex TH610 are nice, although they're almost the same as the Teaks (same base model from Foster). The Dan Clark Aeon RT seem quite great based on their review here, but I haven't personally tried. I also really liked the AKG K371, really good all-in-all, especially for the price, better than some 500$+ hps. Quite close to the Shure actually.

I have been on a similar search for a while couple years back before finding the Shures. Tried many models, maybe it would help as a list of things to be careful considering:
- Oppo PM3 (now Drop Panda) are heavy and uncomfortable.
- Audio Technica ATH-AD1000Z (and I assume others from this line) sound very harsh in the treble.
- Focal Listen don't sound too great and are awkward in terms of fit.
- Beyerdynamic DT1770 are nice, but imo not as nice as Shure.
- Beyerdynamic T5p don't have bass.
- Neumann NDH20 are uncomfortable and don't sound that good (especially considering the huge price)

All subjective opinions, I don't have a measurement rig or anything like that. Having said that, I prefer transparent and neutral sound, coloration should be left to the people making the music/sound imo :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom