• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best class d amp for 200 euros

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know that one, bookmarked.

Where do you live? I'm in Germany and Ebay Kleinanzeigen is my main source of gear (and entertainment: Was letzte Preis?). This is on the market right now:
  1. 245€ VB: Receiver Yamaha R-S700 mit FB und BA, topgepflegt + revidiert
  2. 300€ FP: Yamaha R-S700 Verstärker / Receiver
  3. 333€ VB: Yamaha R-S 700 - Silber Niedersachsen
  4. 320€ VB: Yamaha R-S700 HiFi Anlage mit Magnat Boxen
  5. 240€ VB: Yamaha R-S 700 Reiceiver Verstärker silber
All of them, except the 330€ with the speakers, will ship. All of them, except the 300€ one (which is me), accept offers. Getting one of them to agree to 200€ should be possible.
Forget 4, i just bought that for 290€. I'll sell the speakers for 120€ and have payed 170€ for the A-S700. :cool:

I may use it in my Directiva build and sell the A-S300.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought a yamaha amp im just waiting to collect

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

unfortunally just a new amp.

I didn't liked a silver amp and wanted the option of returning it, i didn't find any fairly new "used" yamaha amp

The amp i bought has buy and try for 30 days so it doesn't costs extra to return. I did find a used Cambridge audio axa35 i considerede but it's silver only, i prefer black so it matches my Yamaha CD-S300, also i think i need altlest 50 watt pr channel in 8 ohm

Only alternative i could find used was a Yamaha WXA-50 and it lacks inputs so i had to use a phonostage and audio source selector

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, right. But which amp did you get, my dude?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Yamaha A-S301 MKII​

I should have it witin a hour

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Im just passioned about hifi

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

First impression

It's big for the modest power it's got but i think it's an universial size,chassis for the 301,501 and 701, lots of air for the heat, after 30 half an hour not close to being warm

Volume knob is firm

A litte soft rear,back of the amp when connecting the banana plugs

10 o'clock using my yamaha cd-s300 and mission lx 2 theres a good match (canare 4s11 speaker cable,inakustik interconnects and isoacoustic stands), better bass, in direct mode the bass it's precise and firm, some improvement over class d, 10 o'clock eric clapton layla unplugged sounds balanced, more to the clear open sounding side of neutral than warm, it doesn't add any warmth to the sound if you don't play with the tonecontrols

Power 11 o'clock is adequate for loud music

Cons it's a little huge compared to Nad c316bee v2 and Marantz PM6007

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. Didn't know there was a MKII, what has changed?

If you decide to keep it, there is a mod where you can get pre-out/main-in to use it as a pre-apm, power-amp or loop in EQ/DSP. No need for much skill, all you need is a soldering iron.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another thing, keep the resistance switch on the back on high, no matter what.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I don't want and need pre out,main on the amp

Default is on high, why should i use high, i have 6 ohm speakers that goes down to 4.4 ohm

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

In the start i thought the highs where somehow to much, now after some hours of music (stil very cool) the highs seems to have changed.

The phonostage is approved, pleasant to listen, it just works :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. High means you use the higher voltage. This means that with 8ohm speakers you stay within the heat budget allotted to the size of the cooling fins. You get full power.
  2. Low means you use the lower voltage. It makes sure that you don't overstep the heat budget for the size of the cooling fins and not trip the heat protection turnoff. Power is limited.
Using high with a low impedance speaker means you might overstep the heat budget, if you listen at high power for very long time, and the heat protection turns you down, but you get the full power.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit jealous, the variable loudness is a nifty feature i wish i had as well.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@dualazmak, if you dont mind, would you check if there is maybe some news about a Yamaha A-S301 MKII in Japan?
I doubt it, but they know first if something comes.

@gasolin75 , check the back if it says MKII indeed.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

1. High means you use the higher voltage. This means that with 8ohm speakers you stay within the heat budget allotted to the size of the cooling fins. You get full power.
  2. Low means you use the lower voltage. It makes sure that you don't overstep the heat budget for the size of the cooling fins and not trip the heat protection turnoff. Power is limited.
Using high with a low impedance speaker means you might overstep the heat budget, if you listen at high power for very long time, and the heat protection turns you down, but you get the full power.

Absolutely no heat problems

Top Bottom