• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best class d amp for 200 euros

Zek

Major Contributor
All photos and manuals are from A-S301, nowhere can it be seen that it is MkII, except in their title.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@dualazmak, if you dont mind, would you check if there is maybe some news about a Yamaha A-S301 MKII in Japan?
I doubt it, but they know first if something comes.
OK, I just checked, but there is no info on Yamaha A-S301 "MKII" in Japan.

Like @Zek kindly pointed, this site actually indicates "Yamaha A-S301 MKII amplifier", but I assume MKII would be just a mistake since the contents (including the photos of the amp) in the site are still on current product, A-S301.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely no heat problems
Nor should you expect any, unless driving your setup at full tilt over long periods.

You could, in theory, force max current by adding a second a pair of speakers and drive them all at the same time. Second pair of the same would halve your resistance, which would double the current. At 2 ohms or less heat is an issue fast.

DSJR

Major Contributor
£200 or so the OP asked?

I don't know this amp personally, but a pal has an earlier one and it's very well made and using a European two channel Class D module which has proved reliable in a now discontinued UK made active speaker -

May be worth a look and for single ended RCA plug users, better than the PA5?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nor should you expect any, unless driving your setup at full tilt over long periods.

You could, in theory, force max current by adding a second a pair of speakers and drive them all at the same time. Second pair of the same would halve your resistance, which would double the current. At 2 ohms or less heat is an issue fast.

The pa amp with temperature controlled fan i tried got as hot as in the late 70's c just using under 1 watt, all i so peak was 3 watt (considerable less than 10 watts) when i disabled the noisy fan.

That was extreme

Experience say that effeciency is horrible, it was an a/b amp but feelt like a class a amp or worse than an amp like the Nad C326Bee, when the fan was on it was sooo loud and it tried to keep temps around 25c often a few c under.

Im happy not to have a hot amp, for a class a/b amp it's so cool

Last edited:

Loathecliff

Did you check out the Peerless amp as kindly posted by DSJR?
Looks promising?

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

£200 or so the OP asked?

I don't know this amp personally, but a pal has an earlier one and it's very well made and using a European two channel Class D module which has proved reliable in a now discontinued UK made active speaker -

May be worth a look and for single ended RCA plug users, better than the PA5?
Uk thats no europe it's gonna be 25% + 22 euro in handling fee more expensive

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uk thats no europe it's gonna be 25% + 22 euro in handling fee more expensive
UK is very much Europe, just not European Union right now. They'll come around in time ;-).

But yes, it costs to import from there.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Get A Topping PA5 with 4X times Paypal payment from Audiophonics ) Best amp for ever in its price range )

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Loathecliff

There are too may issues showing up with the latest Topping wonder machine.
Plus their 'resident' spokesman appears to have gone AWOL.
My question is do any of the ones sold equal the peach that the makers sent to Amir?
I nearly bought one but none of my DACs have XLR; (& does it really sound any better than a Breeze TPA3116D2?.....btw Mine cost £12, and the seller went BIN only with his eBay listings thereafter!).
FWIW I think OP is right to be cautious.
Apologies gasolin75, I've sort of crashed your thread:facepalm:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are too may issues showing up with the latest Topping wonder machine.
Plus their 'resident' spokesman appears to have gone AWOL.
My question is do any of the ones sold equal the peach that the makers sent to Amir?
I nearly bought one but none of my DACs have XLR; (& does it really sound any better than a Breeze TPA3116D2?.....btw Mine cost £12, and the seller went BIN only with his eBay listings thereafter!).
FWIW I think OP is right to be cautious.
Apologies gasolin75, I've sort of crashed your thread:facepalm:

I'm with you.
Consider the Topping PA5 in comparison with the Yamaha A-S301. Not sure what gasolin75 payed, but at roughly the same price the Yamaha is a vastly superior machine, except for SINAD. It's the full package in terms of functionality. You get a good DAC, a good phono preamp, tone controls, several inputs and on top a design for grown ups.
If you already own a preamp with XLR, fine, but you'd have to factor the cost for that in as well.

I believe the A-S301 is just better value. The Japanese know what they are doing.:)

Selkirks

If there is a better sounding class D amp than the PA5 for the price I haven't heard it. My Nord One NC500 DM doesn't get much use since the PA5. Assuming you can handle the lack of features and connectivity plus the possible risks (no issues to report with my unit so far).

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

I just so a used Yamaha A-S700 for only 162 euros, less than half what i payed for my A-S301

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound like a sweet deal! Lowest price i can see right now is 270€.
Make sure it doesn't have scratches or is a smokers amp.

And make sure it's silver, you don't want to be stuck with a fingerprint magnet.

You lose the DAC, but gain lots of power reserves. Rest is the same. For the saved money you could get a UMIK1.
1462619770248.gif

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom