• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

starfly

Forum Donor
I'm considering getting a new Samsung Galaxy S21 series phone. These of course no longer have headphone jacks. I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8 with me.

Any suggestions? I saw the Samsung dongle measured pretty okay here on ASR, but is there anything better that's still relatively cheap?

threni

Major Contributor
I'm considering getting a new Samsung Galaxy S21 series phone. These of course no longer have headphone jacks. I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8 with me.

Any suggestions? I saw the Samsung dongle measured pretty okay here on ASR, but is there anything better that's still relatively cheap?
The Apple one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

MCH

Major Contributor
Someone suggested the Meizu in another thread, i am waiting for mine (24euros)

kiwifi

MCH

Major Contributor
Which Meizu is that specifically?
Seems there is the pro version @dorirod linked for something like 45$ and the non pro for 24eur vat included if you are in EU (also reviewed in ASR). When i went to buy mine i only saw the non pro in Meizu ali shop, but seeing the first few posts in its ASR review and the ridiculous price, i am going to give it a try.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone suggested the Meizu in another thread, i am waiting for mine (24euros)
+1 on the Meizus

You wont get the Hifi pro version anymore but the "non pro" version is still good.

Just a note on the Apple dongle- the EU/UK version is crippled with horribly low voltage- wouldnt be a problem for sensitive IEM but of less use with harder to drive IEM or over ears. The US one (and presumably rest of world) is the one to get.

Saidera

Every post above is somewhat wrong: to answer the question I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8 with me. Any suggestions? I saw the Samsung dongle measured pretty okay here on ASR, but is there anything better that's still relatively cheap? is pretty much only possible by pointing to the Apple dongle.

Its volume limit can apparently be overcome by using paid software?

Apple is limited to 24/48, whereas Samsung is 32/384, but Samsung's chip is unknown and often has noise issues or sudden deaths.

At one point months ago I was extremely enthusiastic on the Meizu Hifis, however I no longer use it now. Its stuttering on 44.1 kHz playback and its lack of ASIO drivers for additional control, along with its fragility led to me giving it up.

Apple scores higher on usability than Meizu, and Meizu is better than the Samsung.

Last edited:
OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Every post above is somewhat wrong: to answer the question I already have the Hidizs S8, which I'm very happy with, but I want to get a few cheap backup dongles to store with my various headphones, in case I forget to the bring the Hidizs S8 with me. Any suggestions? I saw the Samsung dongle measured pretty okay here on ASR, but is there anything better that's still relatively cheap? is pretty much only possible by pointing to the Apple dongle.

Apple is limited to 24/48, whereas Samsung is 32/384, but Samsung's chip is unknown and often has noise issues or sudden deaths.

At one point months ago I was extremely enthusiastic on the Meizu Hifis, however I no longer use it now. Its stuttering on 44.1 kHz playback and its lack of ASIO drivers for additional control, along with its fragility led to me giving it up.

Apple scores higher on usability than Meizu, and Meizu is better than the Samsung.

Thanks, this is a good answer. I'll pick up a few of the Apple dongles. I will only be using these with Android phones as backup to my Hidizs S8, for PCs I have better solutions :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Saidera

Yeah, didn't mean to fling mud on Meizu Hifi, but it's just kinda not worth the wait since its performance is not outstanding.

It can be tricked into 2V output, it can do DSD!, and its design is cool. So yeah! your choice.

threni

Major Contributor
I have the EU one and if there's a way of increasing the volume it's so far eluded me. I'm tempted to try and source a US one.

Top Bottom