• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are there any cheap dongle that provides 2vrms at line out to input into headphone amp?
JCally JM20
MBQuart MB21P
aAkLIAM PD6
This noname one

Edit: instead of replacing the FiiO, you could connect it to your Schiit via the front 3.5mm jack. That'll give you 2.7Vrms. More than these dongles can do.

Last edited:

dtan

JCally JM20
MBQuart MB21P
aAkLIAM PD6
This noname one

Edit: instead of replacing the FiiO, you could connect it to your Schiit via the front 3.5mm jack. That'll give you 2.7Vrms. More than these dongles can do.
Thanks so much for your good idea.
I was wondering about the double amp problem but I figured out that we will have the same problem with these dongles.
May be should find a proper DAC with line out.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was wondering about the double amp problem but I figured out that we will have the same problem with these dongles.
May be should find a proper DAC with line out.
The double amp "problem" is a hoax.

toge

The double amp "problem" is a hoax.
Static or anyone could you help?

I've just recieved my MBQuart MB21P after a long wait from china.

I plug it into my PC and it won't work - i get a bravo HD fw update and then it isn't recognised as a audio device. any ideas?

toge

nevermind, i just unplugged it and plugged it back in, it doesn't work again :(

edit: i notice the comments in the l7audiolab test that there were users complaining there was bad contact on this

Last edited:

Jochen

+1 on the Meizus

You wont get the Hifi pro version anymore but the "non pro" version is still good.

Just a note on the Apple dongle- the EU/UK version is crippled with horribly low voltage- wouldnt be a problem for sensitive IEM but of less use with harder to drive IEM or over ears. The US one (and presumably rest of world) is the one to get.
Wouldn't this be the pro version: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805101390194.html?

Jochen

I very much like and recomment the Fiio Ka3, it has 240mW at 32 Ohm balanced 4.4mm, and also a standard 3.5mm connection. Drives my Sennheiser HD800 with ease.

toge

I'm really back to square one with my MB21P - when it is plugged into a phone or a PC, it won't detect as a dongle but as brave hd update fw.

toge

So I took a huge risk and fixed my MB21P. At least it works now! It wasn't working before

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK DO NOT BLAME ME IF IT MAKES IT WORSE OR BREAKS YOUR PC I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

Unplugged any USB dongles you have may. Just plug in mouse, keyboard and broken dongle.

I downloaded the firmware from: https://www.tempotec.net/pages/firmware-download for the Sonata BHD/E44/E35 as they used the CS43131 chipset (albeit dual)

Use USBDeview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) to determine what is the vendor (VID) and product ID (PID) of the broken dongle (it will say Firmware Update Bravo HD)

Open the firmware flasher from Tempotec, where is says VID and PID, copy over the the 4 digit codes of each and just attempt to force flash it. It will spit out an error once it finishes trying to flash. Once it finishes, unplug your MB21P and plug it back in. It now should be detected as a sonata dongle and worked for me somehow.

edit: if this firmware doesn't work for you, you can try the HD II and HD III firmwares from tempotec china's website.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

Last edited:
Top Bottom